• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
Honestly, the show became a lot more of a slog once Tuuli and Lutz and the rest of her family were cut from the plot in lieu of a big noble/church conspiracy villains/good guys standard schlock that you get with the traditional show. Making books and everyday life took a backseat to grand schemes and the show suffered for it. She doesn't even mention wanting to read a book

I agree. I’m in the minority I guess but I didn’t enjoy this season. The nobles seem like horrible people. I don’t care for Myne joining them at the expense of her family. I liked the show a lot better when Myne had agency and didn’t just seem to bow to events outside of her control. Now the shoe is about a bunch of noble dudes plotting how to use this woman for their own ends. Made all the worse because the show acts like everything is for her rather then things done too her. I’m not that interested in continuing which is surprising considering how much I used to enjoy it.
Earl Colby Pottinger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
I agree. I’m in the minority I guess but I didn’t enjoy this season. The nobles seem like horrible people. I don’t care for Myne joining them at the expense of her family. I liked the show a lot better when Myne had agency and didn’t just seem to bow to events outside of her control. Now the shoe is about a bunch of noble dudes plotting how to use this woman for their own ends. Made all the worse because the show acts like everything is for her rather then things done too her. I’m not that interested in continuing which is surprising considering how much I used to enjoy it.

A) The nobles are horrible persons, that is what causes all the problems that show up in the books. I hope you did not believe nobles were any better in our real life world!

B) If you refuse to see any future shows (if they are made) you then miss all the fun of Myne turning the assumptions of the nobles upside down because she loves books and only books.

Example: Her refusal to do the knight course that everyone one else thinks is so important, or how her drive to use the library turns the nobles's societal events into a mess. How she gets around (that is funny indeed) with her high-beast and then changes everyone who follows. And we will not talk about what happens to the future of the throne or the national church or the use of black weapons or ............ Boy are you going to miss a lot in the long run.
poltroon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:03 pm Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
Making books and everyday life took a backseat to grand schemes and the show suffered for it. She doesn't even mention wanting to read a book for the entire last 8 episodes. Given how hard they rushed to get to the end, I'd be very surprised if it gets a 4th season.

Don't worry, at least in the source material our book-loving little gremlin stays extremely dedicated to her books, and her desire to read continues to drive her every life choice in delightful ways that baffle and torment the people around her.

Important safety tip: never get between Myne and a library!
Earl Colby Pottinger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
Don't worry, at least in the source material our book-loving little gremlin stays extremely dedicated to her books, and her desire to read continues to drive her every life choice in delightful ways that baffle and torment the people around her.

Important safety tip: never get between Myne and a library!

It is important to realize that she on purpose grows only of the most dangerous magical plants just so she can make the best paper for books and other uses. This girl knows no bounds if it will help her make paper.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, that might be par for the course, since the commoners have to KILL some of their vegetables before cooking.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
It was the sort of ending that could work as a series finale if it had to. And I have a feeling the house she's moving into will have a sizable library.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10