• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taederias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I'm surprised Myne just went "aww" when Fran said she couldn't hug her attendants. She seems really interested in making this world more progressive and treating everyone as an equal. I've always said if I were a medieval noble I would treat those who worked for me as equals and friends rather than inferiors, because I don't view myself as above anyone, and I'm sure Myne also doesn't.

And others would probably shun you as a result, or worse, come up with an excuse to get rid of you if you really did manage to threaten the status quo. There is only so much a single person can do when execution is a fairly common punishment for actively going against your social superiors, and the first thing that would be required for anything is having your voice heard and some significant base of supporters.

Right now, Myne has neither, and isn’t really in any position to dictate anything in noble society. She lives because particular people in power saw fit to hide information about and overlook a certain incident, and is a blue priestess purely by their goodwill. That goodwill could easily evaporate if she were to be defiant to any significant degree or threaten causing major trouble. Even blue priests are, by and large, social outcasts among the nobility, and her position is “not-quite-a-blue-priestess”, as far as most people who know anything about the matter are concerned.

One thing about Myne is that she isn’t a revolutionary (though some of her actions may end up causing large-scale changes). She may desire some changes in particular aspects of her or others’ life, and certainly has the outlook of someone from our society, which affects her priorities and actions, but she will adapt to her circumstances when that is the reasonable course of action.

Last edited by Taederias on Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
poltroon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Taederias wrote:
One thing about Myne is that she isn't a revolutionary (though some of her actions may end up causing large-scale changes). She may desire some changes in particular aspects of her or others' life, and certainly has the outlook of someone from our society, which affects her priorities and actions, but she will adapt to her circumstances when that is the reasonable course of action.

Indeed, I think one of the most interesting things about the series is how disruptive she is even though her personal goals are really quite small from our perspective, which are:
1. read books
2. enjoy her family and dear ones
3. personal survival
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I'm surprised Myne just went "aww" when Fran said she couldn't hug her attendants. She seems really interested in making this world more progressive and treating everyone as an equal. I've always said if I were a medieval noble I would treat those who worked for me as equals and friends rather than inferiors, because I don't view myself as above anyone, and I'm sure Myne also doesn't.

Well, considering what Delia’s duties as an attendant used to be, I don’t think most in the church would interpret a hug to be a case of Myne treating her attendants as equals, so there's that...
Taederias

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:06 am Reply with quote
There is also that this is more of an employer-employee thing than a noble-commoner thing. A master hugging their retainer would presumably be likewise inappropriate if we were to talk about a higher status noble and their lower status retainers (e.g. Ferdinand's retainers Justus and Eckhart, who we've seen him send to the lower city to investigate Myne in one of the OVAs for the first season).
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
Taederias wrote:
There is also that this is more of an employer-employee thing than a noble-commoner thing. A master hugging their retainer would presumably be likewise inappropriate if we were to talk about a higher status noble and their lower status retainers (e.g. Ferdinand's retainers Justus and Eckhart, who we've seen him send to the lower city to investigate Myne in one of the OVAs for the first season).

The only reason I didn't see it as inappropriate is that Myne is six/seven years old. Yes, I know she was an adult before, but still, just let kids be kids and make friends with each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penrhos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
As of this week they've adapted up to Page 74 of Part 2 Volume 3. Plus some of the extra content at the end where Ferdinand talks with Damuel and explains where he went wrong during the Trombe extermination and why he was lucky not to be executed.

Oddly they didn't give the name of the Purple haired priest as it's mentioned several times up to the point they adapted.

At this rate they might finish adapting this book in another 1-2 episodes (as they're adapting about 40 pages per episode).So with this being a short cour it looks like they'll adapt 2 books.

They cut out a large amount of background info but nothing major that affects the storyline.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Think the Ink Guild might have suffered a bit from cuts. From the anime it seems like they were terminated by their hidden employer for failure or killed by those that wish for Myne to be kept hidden.

Though I think the set up for this episode, is to show things building to a crescendo.

High Priest back on the scene, Delia seen reporting back to the Bezewanst, Ink Guild taken care of, discussion with Myne's parents, and introduction of a new unknown priest character.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The obvious course for this season would be for it to run through to the end of Part 2 Volume 4. That would be a very natural break-point and would also fit with the pacing of the first three episodes.

I do find some of the choices made for the anime subs a bit annoying compared to their light novel translation equivalents. I find the "High Priest"/"Head Priest" distinction harder to pick up on when reading subs than the light novels' "High Bishop"/"High Priest". Plus, if they're ever going to do a season 4 (which is surely possible), then I think the choice of "Lord" rather than spoiler["Archduke" is going to be a mess. Archduke is a far more specific title and once you're into Part 3, gradations of nobility become a lot more important.]
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
The obvious course for this season would be for it to run through to the end of Part 2 Volume 4. That would be a very natural break-point and would also fit with the pacing of the first three episodes.

I do find some of the choices made for the anime subs a bit annoying compared to their light novel translation equivalents. I find the "High Priest"/"Head Priest" distinction harder to pick up on when reading subs than the light novels' "High Bishop"/"High Priest". Plus, if they're ever going to do a season 4 (which is surely possible), then I think the choice of "Lord" rather than spoiler["Archduke" is going to be a mess. Archduke is a far more specific title and once you're into Part 3, gradations of nobility become a lot more important.]

Yea if we get the next arc the translation choices CR has used are going to make things a lot harder to follow.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a weaker episode this week being mostly setup and fast forwarding through winter.

I agree that high priest/head priest is too close for a strong distinction.

Quote:
It effectively intersects with the other harsh lessons Main is having to learn; Ten years old is way too early for someone to have to realize how much growing up sucks.

You're not wrong, but isn't Myne mentally in her 30s (or there about)?
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

You're not wrong, but isn't Myne mentally in her 30s (or there about)?

I think Urano died around the time of her graduation, which would make her 21 or 22. Since then, she's lived as Myne for around 2 years by the point we're up to now (if you remember, the actual Myne died of the devouring and Urano took over her body), so she's early/mid 20s.

On top of that, she lived a very sheltered life as Urano in a much kinder world than the one she lives in now. Plus she's in a child's body - and a weak one at that - and has had to cope with going back to almost total dependence on her parents and big sister. Oh, and she's in a child's body, with all of the hormonal differences that brings. This all leaves her an odd hybrid - very childlike in some ways and very mature in others. She's struggled to adapt to the casual brutality of her new world.

It's obvious by this point that Ferdinand is training her hard for an entry into actual noble society. That means teaching her to conceal some of her oddities, including her desire for closeness with commoners. Her survival is on the line here, as she is both very powerful (see the conversation in the latest episode about her mana) and incredibly vulnerable.

All of the above has been covered in the anime so far. Some minor spoilers from the LNs in what follows, albeit a lot could be inferred from the anime so far.
spoiler[
Noble society is highly stratified on the basis of mana. Most of the blue priests in the temple have been sent there by their family because they've got very low mana (Ferdinand is an exception as he's there for political reasons). Commoners with mana (the devouring) are rare but not startlingly so, but their mana mostly puts them on the very bottom tier of noble society, so they end up as mistresses (like Freida will) or indentured servants if they get taken in. Myne is on a different level entirely. This makes her both a valuable resource and a significant threat to the social order.]

And some more significant spoilers, albeit more on world-building than story: spoiler[Once the LNs move beyond the current arc, noble society becomes a much larger part of the plot. You've not seen the nobles at their best to date, as the ones in the temple are... erm... embittered squibs, political refugees or visitors who want to "borrow" a grey shrine maiden. Actual noble society isn't actually that grimdark (though it's certainly dangerous) and there are plenty of good nobles once you get to meet them. But one consistent theme is that family bonds between nobles are more transactional, without the warmth of Myne's family even in the best of cases.]
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

Yeah, I would have said something like "Archbishop" for the High Priest and whatever the second-in-command would be for Ferdinand. And "Main" for Myne annoys me because "Main" is an actual English word, and a pretty mundane one at that, while "Myne" looks more like a fantasy-world name, and a pretty one besides.

Whatever his title, the High Priest is an awful person and I think Ferdinand knows it. One wonders why he doesn't try do something like drop hints that the guy retire (because violence would obviously get you executed).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Whatever his title, the High Priest is an awful person and I think Ferdinand knows it. One wonders why he doesn't try do something like drop hints that the guy retire (because violence would obviously get you executed).

Lot of noble politics involved.
Taederias

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

At least in the case of Head Priest / High Priest, this version makes somewhat more sense in that if there is a High Bishop, is there a regular bishop? Kind of a similar issue in LN terminology as there being archdukes but no other kind of dukes.

We also still have the word Aub for the formal title, which is indeed a separate word in the original, so that can be used for clarification purposes when needed. The word which was translated as "archduke" in the LN was, in the original Japanese, really kind of just equivalent to "lord".

Saeryen wrote:
Yeah, I would have said something like "Archbishop" for the High Priest and whatever the second-in-command would be for Ferdinand. And "Main" for Myne annoys me because "Main" is an actual English word, and a pretty mundane one at that, while "Myne" looks more like a fantasy-world name, and a pretty one besides.

There was actually significant debate in the LN translation forums on a number of occasions regarding how certain names should be spelled. This was one of them, and we may get to the subject of one of the most intense ones this season; I wonder how that is going to be handled.

Saeryen wrote:

There is a particular political situation that ensures neither really has the upper hand on the other, that much is visible from what was shown thus far. The details are confidential though. Smile
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think I've worked out why ep.29 felt a little odd pace/content wise...

They skipped 90% of the background on the ink guild and that the head was dodgy (think mafia style gang boss) so it lost the impact/importance.

The talk between Ferdinand and Damuel was taken from the extra chapters at the end of the current book so was slightly out of sequence although it doesn't affect the story (it just felt a bit contrived).

There's a lot more going on that Myne is totally oblivious too. That's putting her and her family in danger - which is coming from higher up the nobility chain, Ferdinand is aware but not 100% sure where its coming from but is investigating in the background while trying to keep Mynes true value to Erenfest and the danger she poses to nobility/society concealed.

She's also oblivious to what impact to society printing, literacy & numerousy will cause to occur - which she should know as she knows the history of Guttenburgh printing press as she's so obsessed with books (as was urano).

What I am enjoying is we are getting glimpses of the larger world structure both political and physical as Myne grows & learns. And it'll be interesting to see what chaos the book munchkin causes just for the sake of something to read......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10