• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
I’m surprised Myne was thinking the nobles might be able to retain their power in a post-literacy future with their magic, considering that she’s a commoner with magic. She is still being kept from learning the whole truth about the nobility, though, and it is in character for her to keep putting bookmaking first, so maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised.

Condsidering the all important role magic has in the survival of each archdukedom, even the rise of literacy itself is not enough. If you throw down the nobles, the lands will not be as fertile anymore and who will take care of the local monster of winter. Commoner's with magic, have to be able to survive the devouring and learn how to use magic, outside of noble influence. Literacy is the beginning, but it will take time, much time.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
I’m surprised Myne was thinking the nobles might be able to retain their power in a post-literacy future with their magic, considering that she’s a commoner with magic. She is still being kept from learning the whole truth about the nobility, though, and it is in character for her to keep putting bookmaking first, so maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised.

Myne is a bit of a special case when it comes to having the Devouring. spoiler[Her having an adult mind and knowledge from our world allowed her to have the willpower to deal with the Devouring and compress her mana.]
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
And on top of that, I think the anime has explained already that once they reach adulthood, nobles can sense others with a similar level of mana to themselves. In the last couple of episodes, it's been highlighted that Damuel could sense mana users during the attack on the caravan, and that this meant that the attackers were probably "devouring soldiers".

For the most part, commoners born with mana are at the very bottom of the tree, equivalent to the bottom tier of nobility (like Damuel spoiler[- for now at least]). Those rituals we've seen in the last few episodes aren't just for show. The light novels give a bit more weight to those passing comments from Ferdinand in the anime that spoiler[they have an actual influence on the quality of the harvest. Not enough mana? People are going to starve. Commoners born with the devouring are normally - at best - on the absolute lowest level of the mana tree.]
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the one hand, it seems odd that someone as deep into literature and the history therein as Main would need this explained to her by Ferdinand.

Yeah, while it makes sense that her focus might get her to forget, she should be more aware of the repercussions then most
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
On the one hand, it seems odd that someone as deep into literature and the history therein as Main would need this explained to her by Ferdinand.

Yeah, while it makes sense that her focus might get her to forget, she should be more aware of the repercussions then most

This has already been picked up on multiple times..

In the mind reading episode - it was clear that Urano was obsessed with books even at the expense of eating and interacting with her mother before she was killed by a pile of books (and this is why she's so attached to her new "isekai found family") as she realized what "family time" she was missing.

She is 100% obsessed with books - reading, owning and organizing - she doesn't care about nobility or any other grand isekai MC power trip - her only goal is to become a librarian in a large library, everything else is an inconvenience.

Episode 31 - removes the "I want books blinkers" and hammers home to Myne that to get books and to live she needs to conform to the new society standards and "play the game".

The only way she can do what she wants is to become a high enough level noble or be the wife/daughter of one so she won't get killed or forced into a slave type contract by another noble who just wants to use her mana/knowledge.

Commoners with mana either become concubines, devouring soldiers, slaves or die. the only reason she has survived so long is she has Urano's maturity and understands how to compress her mana so her body can contain it. spoiler[The Rosemyne mana compression technique - very important going forwards as mana increases as children get older]
Taederias

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Going back to Episode 30, one important piece of context that was missing in the anime but present in the novel, in regards to the weird red barrier Sylvester apparently made (not really a spoiler as such, but read at your own discretion): spoiler[the site of the attack is very near the border of the duchy Ehrenfest, and attacking beyond that or chasing people who managed to flee past that would be politically problematic.]
Earl Colby Pottinger

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I notice no-one seems to mention the little skits after the credits.

Well I watch them, and for this episode it is mention that there were four other children for this family who were stillborn or died within a year.

This is a harsh world and just being born and living to a point that you are considered a member of society is a long and uncertain journey.
poltroon

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

Well I watch them, and for this episode it is mention that there were four other children for this family who were stillborn or died within a year.

This is a harsh world and just being born and living to a point that you are considered a member of society is a long and uncertain journey.

Yes, that is just a heartbreaking tidbit, isn't it? And it really builds Gunther's character when you realize why he dotes on his girls so much.

In the novel, when he says, "I just hope the baby is healthy," Myne takes that as a dig against her, that she caused them so much worry. She is shocked to learn that four of her siblings (two after her birth!) had died, and that she is one of the healthy ones.

One of the things I quite appreciate about this series is that the author really thinks about a lot of these details in her worldbuilding, and does not romanticize the medieval type setting as so many fantasy series do.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

That mimics our world, though. Historically, infant mortality rates (i.e., within the first year) hovered around 26-27% across all cultures and parts of the world, and only a bit more than half of children made it to age 15. (And those numbers held steady until the latter port of the 1800s.) And that's without figuring in factors which exist in Main's new world but not ours, like the Devouring. So what Gunther describes would, sadly, probably be very relatable to the average citizen of Ehrenfest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 32 - Adapted Vol 2, Part 4 pages 1-28.

A bit more scene setting - we now know what the high priest is up to and that he was probably involved in the attack last episode (or certainly gave the attacker the route etc),

I think the thing handed to the high priest was a large feystone - not 100% sure.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

That mimics our world, though. Historically, infant mortality rates (i.e., within the first year) hovered around 26-27% across all cultures and parts of the world, and only a bit more than half of children made it to age 15. (And those numbers held steady until the latter port of the 1800s.) And that's without figuring in factors which exist in Main's new world but not ours, like the Devouring. So what Gunther describes would, sadly, probably be very relatable to the average citizen of Ehrenfest.

Yes, absolutely true. A large part of the 20th/21st century population boom was due to that drop in infant mortality gradually going global. For what it's worth, birth rates are now adjusting and our population likely peaks in 2040 or so, assuming we can avoid going nuclear until then.

Episode 32 continues to do a lot of setup for future developments. It's an entertaining enough episode in its own right, but it's still mostly laying the seeds for things to come. I think they've paced this season pretty well, as you can expect things to spoiler[spiral pretty quickly in the final few episodes.]

I really hope we get a season 4, as spoiler[while there's a natural break-point coming up, it would still be a horrible place to leave the anime.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
I really hope we get a season 4, as spoiler[while there's a natural break-point coming up, it would still be a horrible place to leave the anime.]

Hope so too. I count my lucky stars that this little anime is one that could. I see it as a miracle that we even have an anime of it. Greedy soul that I am, I want Myne figurines too.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:36 am Reply with quote
3 series to adapt 2 volumes, they could do a couple of OVA's to condense some upcoming content but is Book munchkin popular enough to get the number of seasons it'd need to adapt up to the current book at the rate they're adapting it?

i get the horrible feeling it'll just stop suddenly, it's visually obvious that the budget is tight.

But then "The saint's power is omnipotent" managed to get a second season....
HannoX

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
[quote="Rogueywon"]
Key wrote:

I really hope we get a season 4,

This needs to be one of those anime that gets hundreds of episodes before it ends. There's certainly enough material in the LNs for it.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

Yea I'd hope for a S4 especially since the story really picks up with the next arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10