• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Demon Girl Next Door Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian Castellanos

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
When Shamiko fall on tear before the Momo smile i fall on tear with her, i crying a lot ....
This episode was to good
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you had told me that this wasn't actually just the halfway point of the season, but a full-blown season finale, I would have believed you no questions asked.

I have heard that this is the point the author wanted to be the end of season 1, but the anime staff couldn't make the pacing work for that. As it is, it's about as quickly paced as it could possibly be and still be coherent.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:21 am Reply with quote
The Zombie section is actually the "What happened last time" opener for vol 5, so a bit surprised to see it here. It was fun though, basically being a spoof on fellow CGDCT series and Kirara series Gakkou Gurashi
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:39 am Reply with quote
They’re basically never leaving anything out in the adaptation. Which is actually a pretty pragmatic decision; even the smallest little jokes in the manga turn out to have long-term plot relevance.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hello,

I enjoy this show and rate the episodes higher than the reviewer. Just my opinion have a good day!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
The Zombie section is actually the "What happened last time" opener for vol 5, so a bit surprised to see it here. It was fun though, basically being a spoof on fellow CGDCT series and Kirara series Gakkou Gurashi

That's what I thought as it was too on point for Generic Zombie movie parody. But the problem is if you don't know that series' twist then you don't get the real thrust of the joke... which is of course Shamiko being clueless and indifferent. Completely different from her usual self.

I loved it but I also love School Live too.

"I am MAZOKU girl."
Did... did this show just dunk on translators who don't translate everything?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:10 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

"I am MAZOKU girl."
Did... did this show just dunk on translators who don't translate everything?

Definitely wasn't the show. It's exactly like that in the original manga and I love it. Especially how it just says "Yamiochi yeah" which I see as Shamiko being too enthralled over Momo's dark outfit to care about anything else.

Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good Episode
I fully admit that I'm biased against Lico so any episode heavy with her I'm probably not gonna enjoy as much.
Next week should get back to form with some good ShamiMomo action AND lore
And on the note about Mikan being wingwoman of the week... let's just say I can't wait for episode 11ish of this season to show how mature Mikan really is

Ogura is interesting here. Basically all of her scenes this season thus far (Except for her helping in Operation Deep Dive into Shamiko's Dream) have been anime only, which I think is just to remind the audience she exists. In the manga she basically keeps being a mystery for a couple more volumes, and while I think the anime will stick with that it seems they want to nudge her ever so slightly closer to the main cast.

Fun fact about her moving into the attic spoiler[It's implied that she was living in the shack on school property that was destroyed in Episode 6, and so is now homeless. Her reasons for this are mysterious, but have recently been elaborated on quite a bit in the manga for those worried she's always just a wacky gag scientist]
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ahh~ A pretty nice episode setting the stage for Mikan's mini arc
Next week should have some of my favorite scenes, and begin the payoff for the groundwork laid in the past few episodes
Can't wait for spoiler[Mikan Mama]
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's sweet, colorful, and it doesn't even bother pretending to be a work of great substance or story importance.

Not immense amounts of them, relative to other episodes, but there's always a certain amount of substance and story importance to what's going on, and it's more than just a couple of little fragments.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm, real cozy
The "Surrounded by Cats" committee, Mikan's interaction with everyone, Shamiko flipping out over Darkness Peach, some of my favorite moments of the series~

And, although not as clean a place to end a season as Episode 6 would have been, the Ugallu mini-arc is still a great summation of the themes of the series and pulls from a lot of the previous episodes.

Only 1 episode left, here's hoping for a S3!
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:59 am Reply with quote
A real heartwarming finale that embodies what the series is all about Smile
As Shamiko carries on in the vein of Sakura trying to make sure nobody has a sad ending.

And all of what appeared to be "Problem of the week" type episodes had a nice little payoff here. Meeting Lico and Shirosawa for the needed food and fur components respectively, the trip to the spring for the soil from a leyline, the practice making cockroach wards paying off when needing to make the magic circle, Momo's time spent making Lillith dolls giving her the skill to make a good vessel, even throwaway joke of Shamiko not being able to make the mythical swords her sister tells her about.
I admit it could feel a little contrived to have everything fall into place like that, but in this series it honestly doesn't feel that way to me. And so another demon joins the town and starts her own journey of self discovery.
I really hope we get a 3rd season as there's enough manga out already for it and even more satisfying and funny (And also one really sad) arcs ahead, but even if this is all we get it ended on a really high note.

Ganbare Mikan! Do your best as a 15 year old single mother teaching Ugallu about the world!
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
Ganbare Shamiko. Become a powerful Demon Queen who seduces the entire world (with friendship) (and kindness) (and a unique kind of hapless charm) (and also just seduce Momo the regular way) (and get a season three while you're at it) (we believe in you!).
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
this must be one of the most underrated anime of the season which is a shame since it is incredibly good, competent and tremendously superior to other similar series, it is not just a slice of life with supernatural elements that they sometimes use, it is a series that integrates both elements in a very organic and interesting way, I hope that other manga opt for this model like ruri dragon and it does not become an try at an action series.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I collect the Manga and the anime, season one and two! Next step collect season three of the anime on release!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3