• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
How can a show be sooo good?
Generations

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
With Kongming this week, I have now seen two shows do episodes dedicated to character development through rapping for the same season on the same day.

And they were both absolute fire.

That end credits was just cake on the cake. A-1 just casually flexing their budget.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested in how the dub handles the rap. I looked up the previous rap and was surprised to see that the English was actually better where in the Japanese it really was her just saying Yo over and over. Though you could argue that ruins the joke but I still loved it.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Kongming: rap battle
Kaguya-sama: hold my beer
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to the rap battle ever since they announced season 3 and A-1 delivered in spades.

And that ED was something else.
Trunks

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:26 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

Two completely different approaches.

The Kongming one was more complex given all the different elements in play (the localization trying to keep the flow consistent in the translation, the mix of rapping styles including incorporation of classical poetry).

Kaguya was more on the comedic/entertaining side ala Zombieland Saga.

Both were fun, but Kongming's was much more impressive big picture wise. If anything, it should be Kongming with the "hold my beer" stance
Generations

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Trunks wrote:
dm wrote:

Both were fun, but Kongming's was much more impressive big picture wise. If anything, it should be Kongming with the "hold my beer" stance

Hard disagree there. Kongming's rap was definitely the more intricate, going deep into the rapping rabbit hole. But Kaguya's was definitely the more emotional, especially given its effect to the overall development of the characters going forward. There's a reason the 'Rap Arc' was so looked forward to by readers of the manga. And as if that wasn't enough, A-1 finishes off with an alt ED for a very expensive one-off high quality joke.

I am 100% watching this again the moment the dub catches up to this ep.

Last edited by Generations on Sat May 07, 2022 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Trunks wrote:
dm wrote:

Two completely different approaches.

The Kongming one was more complex given all the different elements in play (the localization trying to keep the flow consistent in the translation, the mix of rapping styles including incorporation of classical poetry).

Kaguya was more on the comedic/entertaining side ala Zombieland Saga.

I kind of agree, though I wonder if thats more of a translation issue than anything else. They put some next level effort in making the subs work with kongming. Kaguyas was good, but I don't think they handled it as well. Cant really fault them though, translating rap from one language to another while keeping the story beats intact has to be a nightmare.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I counted three Beastie Boys homages in the rap segment:

1. The style of the main Chika/Miyuki rap from "Ch-Check it Out"
2. Chika & Miyuki rapping towards Ai in the style of the "So Whatcha Want" video
3. The beat in Kaguya's "Bohemian Rhapsody" homage from "Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun"

Let me know if I'm missing anything!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The funniest first 15 minutes in the history of anime cemented, yo....
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Team Kongming this week in terms of Great Rap Battles of Anime, but full kudos to Kaguya for their effort and that ED theme and visuals were epic.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it took me until Episode 5 to realize the significance of the Starship Troopers-like ED.

In Episode 3 of Season 2, Shirogane and Kaguya have that discussion about the legend of the Princess Kaguya story, wherein the princess had to abandon her love on earth to return to the moon, but not before leaving behind a potion of immortality. Not wanting to live without her, her lover burns the potion instead. Shirogane explains that he missed the meaning of the potion, in that even if it took forever, she would wait for him. If it was him, Shirogane explains that it didn't matter if it took ages, he would absolutely bring Kaguya back from the moon.

In S3's ED, the alt-universe Kaguya (with the wings) in the first ED was taken back to the moon. Shirogane drinks the potion shown, and manages to live long enough into a world where futuristic technology exists. Thus, finally able to take a spaceship to go to the moon and rescue Kaguya like he promised. While also fighting some alien-bug ripoffs along the way.

I'm only explaining this in case someone else also didn't get it yet and so we can have our mind blown together.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:43 am Reply with quote
As much as I enjoy the show, I really wish the sound director would retire that "You Spin Me Round" sound-alike track from season two that somehow keeps resurfacing. In fact, I really don't care for the score's overreliance on sound-alike tracks that are not exactly plagiarism but are similar enough to well-known tracks to be distracting.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:12 am Reply with quote
At this point in the anime, only Tsubame is a 3rd year; Miyuki, Kaguya, and Chika are 2nd years, Iino and Ishi are 1st years, just sayin'...... Wink
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A good chunk of the main cast is in their final year of high school after all
If you mean Shirogane, Fujiwara, Kaguya and so on, they're in their 2nd year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5