• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
I don't really check out reviews on this website that much but when I do, but when I do, I just wish that I hadn't wasted my time. I remember some reviewer saying something along the lines that there hadn't been any development in past couple of seasons, and quickly checked whether the date was 1st April, sadly it wasn't a joke, but apparently the review certainly was

Anyway, Miyuki's new found determination and Kaguya's weakned knees should stir up the show more violently in the near future.

The plot is thickening but the entertainment value of thid show is still the best in the business. Akasaka Aka is a genuine genius.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
Doraemon and Oscar from Rose of Versailles references this episode.

A little disappointed that the Crunchyroll translation didn't get across the questionable double-meanings in Shirogane dad's comments. Papa katsu (パパ活), which even appeared on screen, was translated as "Daddy activities," which it sort of literally means, but what it means in common parlance is "the sugar Daddy lifestyle." He also made a reference to being giri no otousan for attending Kaguya's parent-teacher conference, which yes sort of literally means acting/obligatory father, but also carries a strong meaning of "father-in-law," (going in with his comments about student marriage.)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Nothing more pivotal for a student's educational development than the parent-teacher conference.

Oh hey, Ishigami's brother! It was kind of neat seeing him.

I worry about the future of Japan in a world where Fujiwara is prime minister.

It was fun meeting Hayasaka's mom. We see where she gets her looks, stoicism, and teasing side from. Also Hayasaka dropping the mask and revealing she's actually an adorable mommy's girl who just wants attention from her mother.

It must be pretty surreal to have your personal assistant's mother and your crush's father playing your parents.

Now it's due or die time with Shirogane planning to study abroad and planning to confess to Kaguya before that happens so they can actually be a couple. One way or another, the school festival will be pivotal.

These two dorks of course don't know how to ask each other out properly or don't respond properly when they realize they're being asked out...and of course the rest of the student council don't help. But hey, Shirogane and Ishigami got to have a bro day together, which was nice.

I understand Ishigami's worry about Iino's future when you see how she responds to the idea that Shirogane might be in love with her. Or how she thinks like a classic Shoujo manga.

Fujiwara wants no part of teaching the President how to play guitar.

Why Shirogane thought asking Fujiwara for her objective opinion of him is anyone's guess. But, really, all a person needs is the person they love to say they wouldn't want them to change anything about themselves.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So much of the Kaguya- entered part of this episode seemed like it was taking directing and composition points from Kare Kano --- the sketches off-center on a dark background, using text as image, maybe even some of the music. Appropriate, really.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:51 am Reply with quote
Kei is such a little sister. Acting bratty and criticizing her entire family's fashion sense (don't be dissing that eighth-grade drip and moonwatch) but secretly also wanting her brother to look cool so she can take pride in him.

Kaguya acts like a realist and a cynic when secretly she's even more of a hopeless romantic than any other girl in this series.

Oh wow, she said it! It took three season but she finally admitted it to herself and Hayasaka! Progress!

Osaragi moves quick when it comes to relationships.

Ishigami feeling that joy when you realize your crush is currently single.

Kaguya rejecting the entire premise of the series, then backtracking, and then pushing Ishigami to confess for emotional support was absolutely hilarious.

Seems like this school festival will be pivotal in more ways than one.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Hum, kinda worried at the direction the show is taking now. I never find the president and Kaguya to have any chemistry so I tend to find the romance focus episodes to be very boring. I belatedly accepted that every season finally is going to focus on that, but this sound like the entire arc is going to be this. : (

Oh and same for Ishigami, but at least on that side he'll be probably get shut down quickly and it won't suck to much time out of the show.
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Hum, kinda worried at the direction the show is taking now. I never find the president and Kaguya to have any chemistry so I tend to find the romance focus episodes to be very boring. I belatedly accepted that every season finally is going to focus on that, but this sound like the entire arc is going to be this. : (

Oh and same for Ishigami, but at least on that side he'll be probably get shut down quickly and it won't suck to much time out of the show.

Well that's strange. Love is literally the main point of the show. Its even in the title. Its weird to not expect romance to be focused on in a show where the main premise is 2 people who are in love with one another wants the other to confess. Imo, the comedic parts help make the me care for the characters and thus make me root for them to get together.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
Even though I haven't read the manga, I already know how the main plot line will pan out thanks to seeing the second live-action film last week on the return flight from my trip to Australia last week! It's actually pretty interesting seeing the differences between the live-action film and the anime TV series.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
Ohm_0_ wrote:

Well that's strange. Love is literally the main point of the show. Its even in the title. Its weird to not expect romance to be focused on in a show where the main premise is 2 people who are in love with one another wants the other to confess. Imo, the comedic parts help make the me care for the characters and thus make me root for them to get together.

Love is the setup, but the point of the show is wacky comedy and creative visual. Looking back at this season, the most memorable episode is the rap battle (as borne by episode rating). That episode essentially did not feature any love aspect and Kaguya herself was little more than a side character. If love really was the main point of the show, that episode would have been panned for being off topic.

There's more than enough love focus show around, if I wanted that I'd watch one those.
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ohm_0_ wrote:

Love is the setup, but the point of the show is wacky comedy and creative visual. Looking back at this season, the most memorable episode is the rap battle (as borne by episode rating). That episode essentially did not feature any love aspect and Kaguya herself was little more than a side character. If love really was the main point of the show, that episode would have been panned for being off topic.

There's more than enough love focus show around, if I wanted that I'd watch one those.

Regardless, this series has shown that it won't always be just a comedy series. Every season has shown them progressing slowly towards a confession. I still think its weird to just expect this series to remain an episodic comedy. In the end, it will still have to end up going back to revolving around the romance between the 2 main characters.
howardmegadog

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="meiam"]
Ohm_0_ wrote:

But.. you are watching one of those. How could you pick a romantic comedy and then be surprised that it's primarily about romance? Yeah there's the occasional episode that's not super focused on it but the vast overwhelming majority of the show has been about romance and most of the subplots with the side characters are about romance. Talk about being oblivious.
#Droneku

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I just make an account to say that this show deserved a better reviewer than the dub guy. Especially considering that this is spoiler[ the climax ].

What are this reviews of two paragraphs with a summary and a superficial commentary?

Anyone else on the ANN team would have being better!
MF65

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Putting aside the absurdity of not wanting/expecting romance between the two main characters in a show literally called "Kaguya wants to be confessed to", I would probably stop watching after this season, if I were you Wink

And I do agree with the last poster. It's insulting to call two paragraphs for any episode a "review".
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
Dunno. Sometimes an episode doesn't need a lot of ink to be spilled about it.

For example, look at how much chatter there is here in the forum about this series. Not a lot, really, even though the series is rated consistently high by both reviewers and the audience.

... And it's not the climax, it's build-up to the climax. There may be elements in this episode that are worth discussing in depth, but their significance won't be apparent for an episode or two --- and discussing them now might border on spoilers. (I'm not saying there are such elements in this episode.)

One of the effects of having a review --- even a short one --- is it prompts folks to visit this thread (even if it is to complain about the brevity of the review).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

The visual direction and the games played with animation techniques in this episode were a ton of fun. Last week I got Kare Kano vibes from what they were doing, this week they were obviously paying homage to another anime (or anime) with the visuals, but I don't know which one.

Plus, the writing was Aka Akasaka at their best, with genius direction layered on top.

Kaguya gap-moe and Hayasaka meta-hyper-gap-moe irony for the win.

(Plus, the flashback leaves no wonder that Shirogane bonded so well with Ishigami.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5