• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
I have no idea why the heck you’re censoring ‘males’, but it’s… weird.

Males? Are you sure? I figured they meant "mimes" or maybe "moles." Mares? Mites? Muses? Mages? Mules? Yay, anime Wordle!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Lucen007 wrote:
Quote:
Eve and Aoi's reunion is a short putt when it comes to the golf hijinks, but it's a 400-yard drive when it comes to the golf yuri.

ANN, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with your cute little yuri fantasy. Hard to label this anime as "golf yuri" when there are at least two m**es who will be relevant later. Don't be surprised when this anime turns into a Little Witch Academia/Hibike Euphonium/Cross Ange/Amanchu-tier yuribait hellhole. Don't give yourself and yuri fans false hope. And since you like yuri so much, then why not talk about that Virgin Road anime? According to people it's a legit yuri anime. Go read/watch actual yuri and support the ones who make them

Oh my god, seethe more at the prospect of girls interacting with guys in any capacity, this doesnt get old no matter how many times you do it

Also judging by how you worded that, it seems you aren't actually watching Executioner, which is very amusing and I daresay hypocritical coming from someone who claims to love yuri anime as much as you do. Or hates them, it's actually hard to tell with you
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Lucen007 wrote:

ANN, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with your cute little yuri fantasy. Hard to label this anime as "golf yuri" when there are at least two m**es who will be relevant later. Don't be surprised when this anime turns into a Little Witch Academia/Hibike Euphonium/Cross Ange/Amanchu-tier yuribait hellhole. Don't give yourself and yuri fans false hope. And since you like yuri so much, then why not talk about that Virgin Road anime? According to people it's a legit yuri anime. Go read/watch actual yuri and support the ones who make them
I don't think you've watched very many yuri anime as there tons of yuri shows with male characters like Bloom Into You, Utena, and Maria Watches Over Us just to name a few. That's not even getting into mainstream anime with male characters like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura that have canon lesbians in them.
Regalli

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:35 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Lucen007 wrote:
Quote:
Eve and Aoi's reunion is a short putt when it comes to the golf hijinks, but it's a 400-yard drive when it comes to the golf yuri.

Oh my god, seethe more at the prospect of girls interacting with guys in any capacity, this doesnt get old no matter how many times you do it

Also judging by how you worded that, it seems you aren't actually watching Executioner, which is very amusing and I daresay hypocritical coming from someone who claims to love yuri anime as much as you do. Or hates them, it's actually hard to tell with you

I mean, they’re clearly not watching Birdie Wing if they think Aoi’s dad and Eve’s mentor/probable dad being relevant precludes this being a yuri. (Both in that obviously a yuri show can have male characters - heck, Cardcaptor Takato mentioned Utena, which is a seminal work where both female leads have dysfunctional, textually romantic relationships with at least one terrible, terrible dude apiece, and few people in good faith argue these days that it’s NOT an LGBT+ series - and because actually watching the show makes it pretty obvious that… you know. They’re dads. Their relevance to the series is in being dads to their respective protagonist. Or mentor if the one guy isn’t actually Eve’s dad but whatever. They will not threaten a central romance significantly more than the aide will, and that assumes they’re both alive and going to appear in more than flashbacks.)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:08 am Reply with quote
According to the official Japanese website neither character is related to the two main characters. One is listed as Eve’s mentor while the other is only described as one of the instructors at the golf academy that Aoi goes to. While it doesn’t necessarily mean that they aren’t related, neither man shares the last name with the two girls.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

With this show's yuri storyline and what you relate, I can see how the stigma might have continued (but maybe not?).

Stigma seems a bit harsh. But yeah, I just thought enurtsol picked an odd article to support their point that golf wasn't a thing among lesbians. Like lesbians can't be sexy or sexy women would drive lesbians away from golf? Laughing I think it's second only to softball as a sports meme in lesbian culture, though basketball is rapidly gaining because of WNBA.

It's that these promos are of sexy heterosexual women golfers aimed at men. They're learning they can earn a lot of promo money outside of golf, where they can wear short skirts and sleeveless racerback tops

(And let's not even get into the controversy with ex-mayor Rudy Giuliani and his upskirt pantyshot story)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's that these promos are of sexy heterosexual women golfers aimed at men. They're learning they can earn a lot of promo money outside of golf, where they can wear short skirts and sleeveless racerback tops

Yes, I read the article. You have no way of knowing (unless they're married or an item with a man) that all these sexy golfers are hetero. Some of them could be lesbians closeted to make a buck off others' fantasies while they can. And their cheesecake pics certainly aren't driving many lesbians away from being their fans. It seems like both you and the article somehow think that lesbians can't be traditionally sexy (or the reverse, that sexy women surely aren't lesbians) and that lesbians don't like looking at beautiful women. Which to me is a weird take.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yes, I read the article. You have no way of knowing (unless they're married or an item with a man) that all these sexy golfers are hetero.

Actually, people do have a good idea they're, at the very least, want to be appealing to men - it's a men's publication after all (and fan followers keep track of these things). Even the most well-known by far, Paige Spiranac admits showing herself off how she earns her brand (even when she's married to a guy)
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure why you're having this argument here when the post that set it off - by Hiroki not Takuya's own admission - is by somebody who hasn't watched the show who made an assumption about it insinuating something it very obviously hasn't. The show's never implied that all female golfers are lesbians. This show is very obviously not connected to the real world of golf in any way - unless the LGPA is secretly funded by the Yakuza and their underground roguelike golf course used exclusively for betting, and we just don't know it.

Statistically speaking, there are almost certainly some lesbian and bisexual women who are pro or amateur golfers. And yeah, the fact that they do sexy promo pics or whatever doesn't preclude any woman from being LGBT - there have been a few openly lesbian Playboy models after all - but also that's talking about a reality totally detached from the show where a snake woman uses poison perfume to cheat at black market golf.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
This show is very obviously not connected to the real world of golf in any way - unless...

Unless there are miracle materials that allow for a golf ball to be hit with superhuman strength without damage to either the ball or the club, and for the ball to then blow through branches like an armor piercing round without deflection or damage to it. Classic "anime physics" at work.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:49 pm Reply with quote
This show was already wild but woooooow episode 6 really kicked it up a notch.

I love it.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
This show was already wild but woooooow episode 6 really kicked it up a notch.

I love it.

I was pretty disappointed at how illogical the living situation plot is being played out. Even with the cops skimming off of them with the amount of money they were making they could have moved and bought a new place. Them being illegal immigrants wouldn't matter since they would be paying in cash as well. It's just a unnecessary plot to drum up drama when they get enough drama from the illegal golf matches themselves.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
I was pretty disappointed at how illogical the living situation plot is being played out. Even with the cops skimming off of them with the amount of money they were making they could have moved and bought a new place. Them being illegal immigrants wouldn't matter since they would be paying in cash as well. It's just a unnecessary plot to drum up drama when they get enough drama from the illegal golf matches themselves.

Birdie Wing believes more is always better. Don't just turn all the "Anime stuff!" dials up to 11. Get your biggest wrench and keep turning!
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Was this drama contrived? Probably. Unless Lily’s been spending an irresponsible amount of their underground golf wealth on Gunplas or the Nafrecian inflation situation is way worse than we previously believed. (I could easily and immediately believe the Nafrecian inflation situation is way worse than we previously believed, or that Eurus are scaled more like yen to begin with.) On the other hand, it’s in service to a revenge match of golf to the death to settle a war between competing mafia bosses, and Nicolas apparently decided the best way to deal with a city council member was assassination via rocket launcher to his car, so honestly I kind of just accept this because it’s Birdie Wing and everything runs on peak golf drama.

Speaking of drama, if Rose’s machinations get Klein, Lily, and the orphan moppets killed, I’m going to be quite annoyed, especially with that backstory being SO jarringly dark in a show where mafia disputes are settled by golf bets and rocket launchers.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some of it is understated–the way Rose polishes her golf clubs like they're rifles, the turtles crawling around her office, the revelation that her base of operations is the backroom of a golf apparel store.

Goddamn her character and design are SO good, she would not be out of place in an actual Pulp Fiction like mafia movie. She reminds me of John Travolta as Jules in Pulp Fiction actually. Right down to the real chill swagger that hides how fast she can fly off the handle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10