• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
q_3

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Birdie Wing is just following in the footsteps of Black Lagoon and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom which also had random Japan arcs.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I want to both review and celebrate Birdie Wing with my biases on my sleeve and a golf ball lodged in my heart.

Amen brother, glad you’re out here doing what you can. I’m glad at least Ya Boy Kongming popped off as hard as it did after YouTube vids of the rap scenes went viral (it’s now the only consistently top 10 anime this season that Crunchyroll doesn’t have), because these two underdog shows definitely deserve it all.

And yeah banger review. Rose is one of my favourite antagonists in a show ever and easily my favourite sports anime character to date. I can only imagine how much fun her seiyuu had playing off of the legendary Shuichi Ikeda in that final scene.
Regalli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I admit, when we cut from Eve’s Red Bullet going almost straight upwards to the bulldozer, I was kind of hoping for a reveal that the golf course is immediately below their street, Eve somehow figured that out, and her golfball destroying the bulldozer in a ‘screw you’ to BOTH mafia bosses.

This is… probably more sensical, given they wouldn’t be fighting over the landrights if Catherine could build a secret underground modular golf course there, but I admit, I kinda wish we had gotten that destroyed bulldozer, regardless of how little sense it makes. It’s Birdie Wing. Eve could golf her way out of two mobs trying to actively murder her.

Note that while Anri was angrily warning Eve with a switchblade, Rose was clearly STILL ALIVE. Both from the pan-up from the gun being shot to the plane and from Klein and Lily saying Rose called them, and let’s note it was probably some time between Eve leaving town and getting to the airport. So she 100% told her sister ‘yeah Catherine sent hitmen after us, you run, I’m gonna go await my death in some miserable warehouse district and have one final meeting with my mentor where he tells me to get screwed’. I respect this commitment to maximum drama. Life has no meaning without golf.

In the continuing question of Eve and Aoi’s possible relation: Episode Two establishes that Aoi took her mother’s family name, and her dad’s name was Kazuhiko Hodaka. (I’m still fairly sure he’s dead, spoiler[though I will give the outside chance he is Golf Amuro who has ‘questions about who he really is’ from others.]) Assuming Vipere didn’t forge Eve’s name outright - a possibility, but given the flashback was told to Vipere, she managed the IDs as a gift, and Eve calling attention to her name on the passport, I’m inclined to think no, Vipere figured out who she was before she woke up with no memories - Eve’s surname is apparently ‘Kimishima.’ So that would suggest she’s probably NOT Aoi’s twin outright, though I wouldn’t rule out her mom having them both with exceptionally tight turnaround or her somehow being lost as an infant and raised by another golf prodigy. The more interesting possibility, though, given Leo recognizing she needed another teacher to bring out her full potential (and the fact that he is Golf Char) would of course be spoiler[Golf Amuro having likewise lost HIS memories or something in a tragic accident three years ago, ending up a golf advisor in some school in Japan, and Eve being his daughter, which Golf Char obviously recognizes because they had a spectacular golf rivalry in their youths. This does not rule out Eve being Aoi’s half-sister, obviously, but would arguably make the half-siblings reveal be the LESS outlandish one.]
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
Nah I legit cried though, Rose is probs character of the year alongside this show being AOTY.

Gonna miss this arc, and can only pray it continues being all highs from here on out
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:34 am Reply with quote
Well, this isn't it, but at least there's a high school girls golf video going viral right now (and ya guys wouldn't believe how crazy real life can get). Tournament took over 9 hours to play because each group spent at least 20 minutes just on that last hole (some waited 50 minutes on the tee due to groups getting stacked up). Maybe this'll get more attention to women's golf (some girls' chances of scholarships could had been ended on that hole)

Oby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:
They don't even bother to mask the Gundam reference for Tohru Furuya. His character's name is Reiya Amuro for crying outloud! "Amuro" doesn't need any further explanation but "Reiya" is probably the fusion of two of his most memorable roles: "Ray" & "Seiya".

And speaking of Gundam reference, we see Lily playing with (probably Master Grade) Turn-A, Turn-X and......Bandit?? Shocked WTF?? That kit doesn't exist (yet)!! Is this Bandai's way of telling us that Bandit kit will come?

That aside, I'm glad that this new school arc is still fun to follow (though it's possibly become less absurd). At this point, Eve can easily roflstomp every student in the school except Aoi but we'll see how it goes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Can a caddy really make that much?
Regalli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that the writers asked themselves, when pitching this series, ‘what is the most absurd thing we could possibly do?’ and answered, ‘become a more traditional high school sports anime ten episodes in, after we have already established that our protagonist is an amnesiac underground golf prodigy on the run from hitmen hired by a mafia boss for beating her star golfer.’ And you know what? They were right. You cannot possibly get funnier than introducing Ichina like she’s a protagonist this late, running for the bus with bread in her mouth and all, before Eve literally Blue Bullets into this high school plot on her run from the Golf Mafia. Even if it never appears again, we spent three-quarters of a cour on this and cannot possibly forget how Eve got to this point. If it is in fact one cour, the absurd juxtaposition can probably carry us through the remaining episode and a half before whatever plot revelations will go down to conclude the series/demand a second season.

Though the fact that Eve has to pull out her passport multiple times to check her own name and has no idea why she knows Japanese is a delightful gag in and of itself. Solid runner-up to the inherent absurdity of this episode’s very existence.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
... Though the fact that Eve has to pull out her passport multiple times to check her own name and has no idea why she knows Japanese is a delightful gag in and of itself. Solid runner-up to the inherent absurdity of this episode’s very existence.

I 100% thought they, like virtually any other media that broaches the language barrier subject, would just right on past the topic of language even being an issue. It's such a weird thing for them to highlight out of the blue (now I gotta go back and re-watch Eve and Aoi's first meeting to refresh my memory on if they brought it up then too) that you almost can't help but feel like there's no way that it doesn't fit into whatever the end of this series/season is going to be. Like, are we going with a classic "dream sequence" ending where everything from like halfway through Ep 7 - or even further back - was all just a dream? Or that really Eve or Aoi are just in some kind of VR experience?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Regalli wrote:
... Though the fact that Eve has to pull out her passport multiple times to check her own name and has no idea why she knows Japanese is a delightful gag in and of itself. Solid runner-up to the inherent absurdity of this episode’s very existence.

I 100% thought they, like virtually any other media that broaches the language barrier subject, would just right on past the topic of language even being an issue. It's such a weird thing for them to highlight out of the blue (now I gotta go back and re-watch Eve and Aoi's first meeting to refresh my memory on if they brought it up then too) that you almost can't help but feel like there's no way that it doesn't fit into whatever the end of this series/season is going to be. Like, are we going with a classic "dream sequence" ending where everything from like halfway through Ep 7 - or even further back - was all just a dream? Or that really Eve or Aoi are just in some kind of VR experience?

Remember that Eve has no memories before a few (I think they said three?) years ago. Amnesia (at least as depicted in fiction) usually doesn't affect knowledge like language though. I'm guessing her knowing Japanese is another hint about her true past.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:49 am Reply with quote
Somehow it was just as funny that no one so much as raised an eyebrow at the fact that she had to look at her passport every time she was asked her name. And though she mysteriously speaks Japanese, still couldn't pronounce it easily. Maybe that's because it's English she's having trouble reading though.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Yes, golf pros pay their caddies a percentage of the winnings. Typically 5-10%, going up from 5% for making the cut to 10% for a win. So that can be $200,000 for a single prestigious tournament like the Masters. Women's golf is a lower, but we're still talking $90K for one Major tournament for being caddy to a champion.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love Aoi's gay panic at the end. Trying to simultaneously look and not look.
srlracing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Birdie Wing has taught me anything, it's that all things are possible if you whack a ball hard enough.

To be fair, this is entirely true in America.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Eve and Ichina are also responsible for my favorite scene in the whole episode, when Eve suddenly realizes she can speak and understand Japanese perfectly.

That and the passport being referenced were definitely great bits. It also implies that Nafrece, despite seemingly analogous to Italy (or France based on Madox), uses English as their spoken language (unless that's a 3rd language Eve knows...) and that Aoi has no problem speaking it.

John Thacker wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Yes, golf pros pay their caddies a percentage of the winnings. Typically 5-10%, going up from 5% for making the cut to 10% for a win. So that can be $200,000 for a single prestigious tournament like the Masters. Women's golf is a lower, but we're still talking $90K for one Major tournament for being caddy to a champion.

Wow, I figured it was just some low wage job. But then again, my golf knowledge is basically all from Caddyshack, Happy Gilmore and this show Laughing
Thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10