• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
^I'd find it more surprising if something wasn't going on with Amuro and Jinguuji from what we've seen lol

While it's necessary for the story, I wonder what the in-universe reasoning would be for Aoi's mother to make a tournament to show her off and then make it a doubles tournament, where she has to alternate to boot, if she wants to promote her? Does she think that she'll do so well, not only will she win, but also blow away her partner as well to look even better? You'd think then they'd at least do it like the prelims then...
yuricon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mizuho and Kaede. We've seen them before, but their interactions here lean heavily into the genre conventions of school dramas like Dear Brother.

Ace wo Nerae, as well, but the Dezaki-esque still shots were, genuinely, perfection.

I completely agree on the sister twist being far too banal for this masterful anime.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:34 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
^I'd find it more surprising if something wasn't going on with Amuro and Jinguuji from what we've seen lol

While it's necessary for the story, I wonder what the in-universe reasoning would be for Aoi's mother to make a tournament to show her off and then make it a doubles tournament, where she has to alternate to boot, if she wants to promote her? Does she think that she'll do so well, not only will she win, but also blow away her partner as well to look even better? You'd think then they'd at least do it like the prelims then...

Don't try tie down Birdy Wing with pointless things like logic! There's other points too.. like if this is the tournament structure, why haven't they been practicing playing like this? Aoi and Eve have very different styles and strengths as players, so you'd think they'd need to learn to play their shots in a way that suits their partner, as they're the one that's going to hit the ball from wherever it ends up... But thinking like that is missing the point entirely.
Regalli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
At this point, if they go for Eve and Aoi being half-sisters I think it will genuinely weaken the plot they’ve been moving towards. If she’s an Amawashi, no matter how embarrassing her existence is towards their mom she’s still another tool for them to use in golf superiority who can be neatly brought back into the fold. Sure, she still has a different enough life from Aoi’s carefully-constructed PR perfection to be seductive, but I think making Eve someone who they CAN’T easily fit into their plans works much better. No matter how hard they try, Aoi will keep seeking Eve out, and that foils everything.

(My guess on why the doubles tournament - presumably they’re trying to show off how versatile Aoi is, which is why it’s a match play tournament. Jinguuji’s an older student, and so a known quantity for them. She’s a good enough golfer to win, but as she says of herself, ‘a weed’ who would never outshine Aoi. No charisma, not as strong a golfer, and she seems to know it and the politics in play. Also presumably, given how the rest of the circuit know each other, at least by reputation, Japanese high school women’s golf has enough existing tournaments that they had to fill a niche that wasn’t already taken. Which wouldn’t be particularly believable except that this is Birdie Wing, where the mafia settles things via golf.)
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:05 am Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
At this point, if they go for Eve and Aoi being half-sisters I think it will genuinely weaken the plot they’ve been moving towards.

Agreed. It would feel like an abandonment of a bunch of arcs they've got going on. Cousins maybe? Does Aoi's mother have a disowned sister or something? Rival heir who is a threat to the established power works better than secret sister. Not that Eve would really care about that stuff in the slightest. But in many ways, Eve genuinely being a nobody works best (despite the amnesia being a blatant "secret past" flag). It's always been Eve powering through obstacles on sheer force of will. I don't really want it to turn out she inherited golf mediclorians from the big golf dynasty.
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Eve is a genetic clone of Aoi's mom, created in a lab by enemies of the Amawashi family.

Eve is Aoi's mom before time-traveling to the past through the power of golf.

Eve doesn't exist. She's a mass hallucination.

Eve is an avatar of Venus, who after losing the job of love goddess has decided to make a play for becoming the goddess of golf.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished watching the series yet, I won't be able to watch the last episode until a couple days after it comes out, but man Birdie Wing is the best hidden gem of this season, honestly every week I wanted to start with series (I watch all my weekly simulcast on Sunday), but I always saved the best for last.

Eve straight up represents the American Spirit , Waking the ball as hard as you can, having an attitude, her whole personality is stereo typical American and I love it. I think she is supposed to be Eastern European or Russian, but I like to think she's American. Aoi is the perfect contrast, their dichotomy works really well.

The OP is great, it gives me Macie Grey vibes with the raspiness in the singers voice, which I think is a great change of pace from most OP's. Apparently the singer is really famous in northern Japan.

I also love all the Gundam references. I've been rewatching MSG and I just started MSZG, so I definitely laugh every time I catch them. I notice a lot of you guys catching way more than what I notice. At first I thought it a coincidence but episode 12's MG bit confirmed it.

Speaking of episode 12, this was the first episode we got to see them playing golf without the super sayin like power up shots and it kind of made the scene feel like I was watching real golf (and not in a good way).

I wish Jack Bunny released some of the male gear from the series, I would love to own a hat.

This series deserves a second season and I also wish it wasn't an original story so I could go back and reach the series to find out what happens next.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
The Yurification was strong in this episode, and I loved every bit of it.

Seggs in season 2 please, Eve is quite rough in bed though, could be very interesting.

I do feel sorry for Ichina getting kicked in the face every night.

I will kiss you every time you make a mistake, excellent motivation by Eve there haha, can't wait to see what happens, lots of kisses and burgers I hope.

Now to wait six months for the rest of this tournament and season 2, and the Nintendo Switch game which Htc Viverse said would be later this year.
zalminar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:55 am Reply with quote
Can I dream of a full 50 episode series? The fact that they didn't even try to have a season finale after 13 episodes, and the fact that of the 9 players in the "rogues gallery" portion of the OP, we've only seen 4 and only two have been dealt with, with only one more seen in the season 2 preview. I have a secret hope that they totally let the creators go ham on this, and season 2 will just wrap up the tournament arc, with later seasons (possibly after a time skip?) having them go pro. It's a beautiful dream, at least...
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Lilies! Laughing

Maybe it'd be too soap opera'y, but when I saw Mizuho copying Aoi's father (who I don't believe we've seen in the show...) I couldn't help but think of her being an illegitimate daughter or something...

Speaking of great character designs like Vipere, it's a shame that with that arc over, we probably won't be getting any of that caliber. At least without a radically different 3rd arc
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
I just re-watched the trailer for season 2 and have a new theory as to what's going on:

Aoi is adopted and Eve is the real daughter of the Amawashis.

We've all been commenting on how much Eve looks like Aoi's mother. There's a shot in the trailer of little Aoi with her parents and she looks absolutely nothing like either one of them. Not even close. I know anime can be fast and loose with resemblances, but you usually have at least ONE signifier of relation, like hair color or eye color. Eve meets more of those requirements than Aoi does.

There's also a hint in the trailer of Aoi's mother, Seira, seeing Eve and recognizing her.

Then we have poor Aoi, crying in the rain and shouting "Tell me, who am I?"

It also looks like Eve gets some, if not all, of her memories back in the new season.

So, so excited to see how this all plays out!
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:

Clearly the solution to that is a wedding, then everyone gets to be the Amawashi heir.

Birdy Wing: A Couple of Cookoos Story.

Steve Jones wrote:
Before the spring season commenced, I certainly didn't foresee being blown away by a cult classic in the making about high tension aboveboard and under-the-table golf girl shenanigans, yet here I am, thirteen weeks of slack-jawed disbelief later. While the premiere alone convinced me of Birdie Wing's quality and potential, there was no way to know whether or not that opening drive would sustain enough momentum to carry an entire cours' worth of fairway fracases. Well, now I know, and I can't wait to see how high Eve's Blue Bullet takes us in six months. See you on the back nine! Or back thirteen. Or however many more episodes we're blessed with.

Nobody expects either the Spanish Inquisition or the Golf Mafia! Sports anime aren't my thing, so prior to the preview guide I had no intention of picking this up. But it's been fantastic (and kinda isn't a sports anime anyway). And thanks Steve for delivering consistently great weekly review pieces too, I've enjoyed being on this crazy golf girls journey with you.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Akcoll99 wrote:

Clearly the solution to that is a wedding, then everyone gets to be the Amawashi heir.

Wedding ending or bust.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
This show has been my guilty pleasure this season-bring on the next season, baby!!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:14 pm Reply with quote
That's some great soap opera stuff there in the new episodes, they're sisters, no half-sisters, no step-sisters! Laughing
That flag snipe shot in the 2nd episode was very well done.
Glad to see we're heading back to Nafrece for hopefully more mafia shenanigans.
I guess the team captain is out of luck unless Amuro has moved on...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10