• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroines Run the Show: The Unpopular Girl and the Secret Task

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But why make it "Heroines Run" instead of "The Heroine Runs"? It's bugged me from the start, because I keep wondering who the other heroines referenced are/will be.
Think of it like part of a sentence: "In shoujo romances, heroines run the show." There don't necessarily have to be other heroines in this particular series, because it's stating a broadly-scoped rule. (I think. Just spitballing here.)

If you zoom in, the series logo has the title in English as "To Become a Real Heroine," which is a much more literal translation, if a bit wordy. Still not a complete sentence, but it's way better than the usual almost-English we get for anime titles.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up on this show and first of all, I hate the title translation. There's one heroine and I wouldn't say she's running the show as she's literally depicted as cinderella being bullied by the evil step-idols. And they didn't use it instead of a more literal translation of the jp title they just added it to an already long title.
Also the show is not based on a vocaloid series, Inase Minori sings both songs. the lip boys and the full throttle guys have songs but those are just their in-universe idol songs so there's not really a story to them

Episode 3 I hate the trope were women hate any other woman in proximity to hot boys and, minor spoiler alert, spoiler[ this show is going to have another one of those! Why are they doing the same trope twice!? ] Also wouldn't it be more impactful if Hiyori actually messed up and the guys comforted her instead of it being an evil jelous harlet getting her comeuppance?
Episode 4
Aizous brother and mom got laid and that's why he hates women? Also he's transphobic
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Think of it like part of a sentence: "In shoujo romances, heroines run the show." There don't necessarily have to be other heroines in this particular series, because it's stating a broadly-scoped rule. (I think. Just spitballing here.)

That doesn't help. "Heroines" indicates more than one. Even if in the example context it means only one per romance, "romances" is plural too.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Also the show is not based on a vocaloid series, Inase Minori sings both songs.

I mean if you want to be specific THIS anime isn't based on voicaloid songs, but the series began as a vocaloid songs series before getting seiyuu covers. I guess it all comes down to semantics.

yeehaw wrote:
the lip boys and the full throttle guys have songs but those are just their in-universe idol songs so there's not really a story to them

That's... genuinely just not true. Both Aizo and Yuujiro have solos called YELLOW and Seika which tell their own stories and Aizo has a duet with Ken about their past called Samishigariya, though I guess you could make the argument those aren't LIP X LIP songs since they're solos/contain outside people.

FT4 though, most of their songs (or at least ones with music videos at the moment) tell their personal stories. GOOD BYE is about Yui (black and yellow-green hair), FAKE STAR is about Dai (red hair), To Family is about Rio (grey hair), Dear Layla is about Megu (blond hair), and Love Anthem is about IV (brown-red hair). They may perform them as songs at in universe concerts, but the songs are still inherently about themselves and DO have stories.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I love this more and more with every episode.
yeehaw wrote:
Episode 3 I hate the trope were women hate any other woman in proximity to hot boys and, minor spoiler alert, spoiler[ this show is going to have another one of those! Why are they doing the same trope twice!? ] Also wouldn't it be more impactful if Hiyori actually messed up and the guys comforted her instead of it being an evil jelous harlet getting her comeuppance?

This series also has a lot of genuinely nice female characters. That's why it doesn't bother me as much; some women can be horrible and it's okay to show that in media as long as you don't paint all women with that brush, which this show does not. Also, it seems like the next episode will focus on Hiyori's female classmates, so we'll get to know some other girls besides her more in-depth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing Mona next episode, she's my second favourite of the honeywork girls! Though this episode made me rewatch Hiyori's first proper song, heroine raising project, and now I'm kind of super bummed that it doesn't seem like spoiler[ Asuka will appear in the anime. Though I guess adding him when they have Nagisa in the story would bloat it a bit, especially with how things get resolved with him. But also I wish I liked Nagisa's design more lol]
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Though I guess adding him when they have Nagisa in the story would bloat it a bit, especially with how things get resolved with him. But also I wish I liked Nagisa's design more lol[/spoiler]

Yeah that's probably a combination of spoiler[ASCANA not being wholely owned by Honeyworks and the fact that they "graduated" since their singers officially debuted as idols last November. Sad that we won't be getting any more content from them]
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Mami-kouga wrote:
Though I guess adding him when they have Nagisa in the story would bloat it a bit, especially with how things get resolved with him. But also I wish I liked Nagisa's design more lol[/spoiler]

Yeah that's probably a combination of spoiler[ASCANA not being wholely owned by Honeyworks and the fact that they "graduated" since their singers officially debuted as idols last November. Sad that we won't be getting any more content from them]

Ah didn't know about that. That explains why that plotline fell off the face of the map after that song, oof.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 on its own was fantastic (since it was all about not being forced to get a makeover, she genuinely wanted to try it but didn’t feel confident) but I agree with Steve, that paired with Episode 7 it’s better.

Nagisa is such a sweet guy and I love how spoiler[even though he was clearly jealous of LIPxLIP when Hiyori rejected him, he didn’t let those feelings influence his treatment of her. I’m glad this show showed that feeling sad and angry about being rejected is okay as long as you don’t take it out on the person].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
yeehaw wrote:
Also the show is not based on a vocaloid series, Inase Minori sings both songs.

I mean if you want to be specific THIS anime isn't based on voicaloid songs, but the series began as a vocaloid songs series before getting seiyuu covers. I guess it all comes down to semantics.

yeehaw wrote:
the lip boys and the full throttle guys have songs but those are just their in-universe idol songs so there's not really a story to them

That's... genuinely just not true. Both Aizo and Yuujiro have solos called YELLOW and Seika which tell their own stories and Aizo has a duet with Ken about their past called Samishigariya, though I guess you could make the argument those aren't LIP X LIP songs since they're solos/contain outside people.

FT4 though, most of their songs (or at least ones with music videos at the moment) tell their personal stories. GOOD BYE is about Yui (black and yellow-green hair), FAKE STAR is about Dai (red hair), To Family is about Rio (grey hair), Dear Layla is about Megu (blond hair), and Love Anthem is about IV (brown-red hair). They may perform them as songs at in universe concerts, but the songs are still inherently about themselves and DO have stories.

I guess I should have been clearer. What I meant is Heroinetaru mono (the song not the show) is a non-diagetic song from Hiyoris point of view, but it's not something she sings in-universe, it's just plot. The FT4 and lip songs you mentioned however are diagetic. They are in-universe idol songs that are performed for audiences.

I liked these episodes and i think it comes down alot to what Saeryen said about Hiyori wanting a makeover and the boys just being the ones pushing her to actually do it (and having access to proffessional make-up artists and hair dressers)
I'm also starting to feel and hope that the show might actually skip out on or at least change the absolute worst part of the original story.
I hope we don't get anymore FT4 after this because I am struggling to not cringe out of my skin whenever they're on screen
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is just an exhibition of Hiyori in her element, running and working up a sweat with a smile always beaming on her face.

And then they ruin all the good will they built by having her trip and fall down after the hand off. Arrrrghhhhh!!1!!! For crying out loud, why can't women in media be allowed to run without falling down! Especially if they're track and field athletes! What even made her fall? I just wanted to throw my computer through the window when they did that.

I also felt sorry for the other girl on their team (dunno her name). She kept feeling like an afterthought while the other three bonded and celebrated. And huh, somehow she, the non-athlete among them (idols are athletic), managed to not fall down. Be proud, girl! A bloody unicorn is what you are!
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and I hope they're featured in at least one of the remaining episodes.

Honey, you've got a big storm comin
Quote:
And then they ruin all the good will they built by having her trip and fall down after the hand off. Arrrrghhhhh!!1!!! For crying out loud, why can't women in media be allowed to run without falling down! Especially if they're track and field athletes! What even made her fall? I just wanted to throw my computer through the window when they did that.

It didn't really ruin anything though, she still passed the baton and they won. It was just there to add some drama
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but they aren't exactly subtle about who the culprit is behind the sneak photos. Quite a lot of focus on side-glances and at the back of a particular someone's smartphone. I guess it's not meant to be a surprise?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
It didn't really ruin anything though, she still passed the baton and they won. It was just there to add some drama

It's always just there to add some drama. And it's usually at the female character's expense, whether she's the protagonist or not. Like why couldn't Shibasaki have been the one to stumble and recover to win. Wouldn't that have been more dramatic? But no, it's always women and girls who can't stay on their feet, even if running is what they do, or their legs are bionic.

No, it didn't ruin the race, but it sure ruined any good feelings I'd been having up to that point.

I will obtain skill in the use of my legs and feet, so that I can actually run from one place to another without tripping over every shadow, crack, and pebble along my path.
— No. 8 of The True Love List, The Universal Genre Savvy Guide
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So, this is really blatantly foreshadowed by the opening, but is the mysterious pink goth-loli girl we've seen in the foreground of many crowd shots... spoiler[actually Chizuru]? Yes. their hair colors are two completely different shades of anime-black, and that hairline would take some serious blending to pull off with a wig, but still. It's not hard to guess that said goth-loli girl is the "Chu-tan" who keeps getting mentioned, what with the bunny hairpin, but my fair-play mystery alarm bells get louder every time that name is dropped.

spoiler[It's easy to guess that Chizuru's the culprit behind the photos, but she's missing a proper motive unless she lied when she said she wasn't a LIPxLIP fan. So maybe... she wanted Hiyori to accept Nagisa's confession, not (necessarily) because childhood friends are the best, but because she wanted to be sure Hiyori was out of the running for Aizo and Yujiro. When that plan failed, her only option left to keep Hiyori away from them was to play dirty.]

Which is silly, but definitely sounds like shoujo manga thinking. I'd be perfectly fine with a "boys and girls really can just be friends" resolution to all this, though I'm pretty sure that's not how the HWCU works.

(I also totally share in mysterious blonde idol(?) girl's disappointment that the breaking news isn't that Aizo and Yujiro are dating each other.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3