• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encoding issue on One Piece BD set?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Figured I'd try posting about this here, since I've done some digging and haven't been able to come across anyone else reporting this issue. I'm one of those insane people who's been continuously buying FUNi's One Piece releases since the beginning, and I recently made my up to the Season 11 Voyage 5 set. I popped in the first disk to see how a few moments had been dubbed, but I noticed pretty quickly that some of the episodes on it had some serious interlacing going on. This would have been on the latter half of the disk, so I think around episodes 685 to 687. I'm not normally one to nitpick video issues, but this just looks extremely bad. And the weirdest part is that, as best as I can tell, it only affects some of the episodes on the disk, not the whole thing. I was wondering if it was something on my end, but I've tried playing it in two completely-different pieces of software, so I think it's endemic to the episodes themselves.

Like I said, I haven't seen anything about this mentioned elsewhere, even on places like Fandom Post where you'd expect to find it. Is there anyone else out there who owns the set and can confirm this? Even if it is a universal issue, with the FUNi/Crunchyroll brand merger, I'm not even sure whose support I would contact about it. Any thoughts on that would also be greatly appreciated.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=20065999#post20065999
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=19271904#post19271904
(see also below responses)

Apparently the episodes in the early season 11 sets were animated at 1080i and Funimation incorrectly listed them as 1080p on the Blu-ray spec info on the bottom of the boxes which were then carried over to the back of the later Collection sets.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81vHL-6NUrL._SL1500_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/712ikURuNmL._SL1500_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81a+4dm-OjL._SL1500_.jpg

To answer this though, it seems Voyage 5 (and Collection 28) had episodes that were animated at 1080p and I guess Funi didn't IVTC.them properly so they're encoded the same as the 1080i episodes?

How is the other disc?

EDIT:

New response on the Blu-ray forum thread.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, One Piece switched from 24fps to 30fps on Episode 453 and switched back around ep 751. These episodes have really bad motion judder on Crunchyroll, who seemingly encoded them at 24fps regardless; this issue also affects the American DVD of eps 453-456.

For Funi's DVDs/BDs, Seasons 8 to 10 are encoded at 30fps - as are at least the first three Voyages of S11 - and it's clear from pans and recap footage that it was animated natively in 30fps. Annoyingly however, any shot with English text (including the title sequence) has been deinterlaced with noticeable aliasing; there's also ghosting on some of the Season 9 recaps because they've clearly taken footage with 3:2 pulldown and blended the fields together, plus the aforementioned motion judder for the final four episodes of Season 7.
Basically, Funi has form for mucking up PSF (progressive segmented frame) content and it would be interesting to know what "serious interlacing" is actually referring to.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
LostTL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I noticed pretty quickly that some of the episodes on it had some serious interlacing going on. This would have been on the latter half of the disk, so I think around episodes 685 to 687. I'm not normally one to nitpick video issues, but this just looks extremely bad.

As far as I can tell, Marineford to Dressrosa should be encoded interlaced; it was evidently edited in 60Hz, and, even if it wasn't, interlaced encoding is the only way to include 30fps content on a Blu-ray in 1080 resolution. Maybe they switched back to 24fps during Dressrosa and not after.

Do those episode look the same with deinterlacing manually enabled and disabled? If you're using VLC, try the IVTC de-interlacing filter (with hardware acceleration disabled).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

To answer this though, it seems Voyage 5 (and Collection 28) had episodes that were animated at 1080p and I guess Funi didn't IVTC.them properly so they're encoded the same as the 1080i episodes?

How is the other disc?

Thanks for posting this over there! From what I could tell skipping to random timestamps on the second disc, it didn't seem to be affected, nor were the first few episodes on the first disc. I can't remember if I poked around the earlier season 11 BDs enough to see if there were any issues there. I'm not super-knowledgeable about video encoding, and from the last post on that Blu-Ray.com thread I'm sure I'm getting the terminology wrong, but what I'm seeing is pretty significant tearing and ghosting on those few episodes. Hopefully that helps clarify things.

LostTL wrote:

Do those episode look the same with deinterlacing manually enabled and disabled? If you're using VLC, try the IVTC de-interlacing filter (with hardware acceleration disabled).

Unfortunately I'm not sure if the software I was using supports that, although I could poke around and find out. I played the episodes on an old version of PowerDVD, as well as on Leawo Blu-ray Player (which I mostly use to get around discs from different regions). I was under the impression that VLC couldn't play BDs directly and needed some sort of AACS key or somesuch; if that's not the case, then I'll gladly try that too.
LostTL

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:36 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I played the episodes on an old version of PowerDVD

In PowerDVD, you can adjust/disable deinterlacing by clicking on 'player settings - Video, Audio, Subtitles - More Video Settings - De-interlacing'. I would recommend 'hardware deinterlacing' over 'software deinterlacing', if that's an option, as PowerDVD's software options don't do a great job.
Even though they're technically interlaced, the early Dressrossa episodes look perfectly fine without de-interlacing because they were animated 30fps-progressive to begin with; you only get combing when they've changed the speed in post. PowerDVD will often fail to recognise this, and filter the video anyway with distracting results.
If 685-687 were animated in 24fps and then converted to 60Hz-interlaced, you will get combing unless you de-interlace the video; the best way of doing that is using the 'IVTC' method, but it might take a few minutes of playback before PowerDVD realises that the base footage is 24fps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1