×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Komi Can't Communicate Season 2


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tintor2



Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 1087
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Neat return. Still, I'm kinda conflicted about this anime considering while Komi, Tanado and Najimi are likable characters, the other students are just one gag guys who are unbearable. It's like if the author needed to write comedy so much that he grabbed the closest cliche and copypasted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 4950
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
It was a nice return for the series, re-establishing everybody, getting back into the comedy and heart, and introducing Katai...who sounds even better than in the manga because of the vocal dissonance between his internal narration and actual dialogue.

Also, the ED was beautiful. It looked rotoscoped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tintor2



Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 1087
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hey I finally caught up with Netflix and...... Man only two comments. Guess it lost some popularity or Netflix is slower than Japanese for more than only one episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dynamo-



Joined: 02 Aug 2014
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Hey I finally caught up with Netflix and...... Man only two comments. Guess it lost some popularity or Netflix is slower than Japanese for more than only one episode.


Most shows I like don’t much discussion on here lately. It either has to be something very popular before release or something that’s horrible (or at least some reason a group wants to attack it) for people to bicker back and forth about. Also with it being a continuation it’s not really surprising anyone.

I’ve liked the new episodes so far hopefully that continues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 4950
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Santa Komi was awesome! They really did a great job with the Christmas/Komi's birthday chapters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I_Drive_DSM



Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 214
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Neat return. Still, I'm kinda conflicted about this anime considering while Komi, Tanado and Najimi are likable characters, the other students are just one gag guys who are unbearable. It's like if the author needed to write comedy so much that he grabbed the closest cliche and copypasted.


I feel the problem with Komi - if you want to call it a "problem" - is that the manga advanced to a point where we knew the main direction the series was going to progress to, juuuuussssstttt as the anime was announced. Now the anime, presumably, has to get to that point but it's probably going to have to forego a lot of the filler and gags. That means getting to "the" moment after +300 chapters in the span of maybe another cour following this current one, which is a pretty tall order for any series with a slice-of-life-ish romance focus.

And I only mention such a short window as can we really foresee Komi continuing for like four to five cours? I'm not so sure this type of series can draw in that degree of viewership.

I ponder similar romance/comedy slice-of-life manga that have yet to be animated such as Amano-san, Takizawa-san, or Hitomi-san, and those series have either finished up or advanced to where the romance is in a more managable set of chapters. If they are every animated, they can advance their romance plots to more definitive conclusions within a managable set of time. Komi-san just threw in so many filler characters and gags, and happened to have occur what we all assumed would happen just at the magical point of being announced as receiving an anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 4950
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
It was nice to see the snowball fight chapter and the family visit chapter (with a dash of Inaka) adapted.

The Komi women look amazing in yukata's!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gardefusilier



Joined: 28 May 2022
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:35 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Neat return. Still, I'm kinda conflicted about this anime considering while Komi, Tanado and Najimi are likable characters, the other students are just one gag guys who are unbearable. It's like if the author needed to write comedy so much that he grabbed the closest cliche and copypasted.


I feel the problem with Komi - if you want to call it a "problem" - is that the manga advanced to a point where we knew the main direction the series was going to progress to, juuuuussssstttt as the anime was announced. Now the anime, presumably, has to get to that point but it's probably going to have to forego a lot of the filler and gags. That means getting to "the" moment after +300 chapters in the span of maybe another cour following this current one, which is a pretty tall order for any series with a slice-of-life-ish romance focus.

And I only mention such a short window as can we really foresee Komi continuing for like four to five cours? I'm not so sure this type of series can draw in that degree of viewership.

I ponder similar romance/comedy slice-of-life manga that have yet to be animated such as Amano-san, Takizawa-san, or Hitomi-san, and those series have either finished up or advanced to where the romance is in a more managable set of chapters. If they are every animated, they can advance their romance plots to more definitive conclusions within a managable set of time. Komi-san just threw in so many filler characters and gags, and happened to have occur what we all assumed would happen just at the magical point of being announced as receiving an anime.
Wow this has to be the most uneducated writing on the topic I have seen in a while. Komi got +300 chapters because it has a lot of short double chapters in a week, inflating its number. If you want to measure how long a manga is, use Tankobon volumes. Komi is still technically shorter than Kaguya in terms of length for series that are serialized weekly since 2016. Moreover, Oda has always set the theme consistently paced throughout the years, things you called 'filler' (in a SoL manga mind you, lmao) of her basically interacting with her surroundings has the most profound impact on Komi's growth compared to its Romance subplot. It's just funny to me whenever people complain about 'fillers' in this manga, since the whole theme of friendship as its progression parameter has been set from the start.

Secondly, I don't understand why you'd think Komi can't get more viewership. Both cours have contributed significantly to its manga sales, especially its earlier volumes to allow new audiences to catch up. Feel free to look up shoseki and oricon for the last few months. Overseas' audience reaction like online voting or 'forum activity' is hardly a good indicator to draw conclusion from. The market too is barely significant compared to Japan's, not to mention most of the overseas audience are pirates that contribute nothing to it.

Lastly, the examples you mentioned are hardly comparable to Komi tbh. Not only they lack a proper goal nor actual good story, they don't sell shit in Japan. No production committee or studio is crazy enough to adapt a series that doesn't even have a potential.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kirki



Joined: 11 Jun 2019
Posts: 228
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 am Reply with quote
The problem with Komi is that it's simply not as good as the manga readers had hyped it. The anime production goes above and beyond to offer a pleasurable watch and it succeeds as much as it is humanly possible. But it's still a 4-koma gag adaptation operating on two wheels: 1) Comedy and 2) Romance. First is how Komi will make friends, and second is how she will get her boyfriend.

Now the boyfriend is well-thought enough (even though he is... 'Just A Boy') but the friends are way too hit or miss. And sadly there are more misses than hits. The rest of the cast consists of completely stereotypical characters with no depth other than what their name describes them as, repeating the same jokes over and over again. They are not even bouncing off of each other (or Komi) well. For example, the moment Yamai appears on screen to harass Komi as the stereotypical predatory lesbian archetype, it ruins the show for me. It's not funny, it's downright creepy, and it's definitely aiming to project on some of its viewers.

Also the entire anime presents itself as how will Komi manage to connect despite her communication disorder, but in reality it is nothing but a gigantic Komi simping. Everybody deifies and likes Komi by default. She offers either zero effort into actually making people like her or does the bare minimum and is constantly praised like a godess by everyone around her simply because she's beautiful. If pretty privilege were ever an anime, that would be Komi.

The only person she is portrayed to have a meaningful relationship with, is Tadano. So it's no wonder people are tuning in for the romance and not for the 'friendship' aspect of the series. The rest of the cast is largely a miss and way too contrived comically.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 4950
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
It was neat seeing more of everyones' families/siblings when Najimi invited them to visit the shrine for New Year's. And Yamai chilling out in Hawaii only to realize she'll miss seeing Komi at the shrine. Justice!

Nice seeing more of Hitomi.

It was a joy seeing the "Komi takes care of Tadano" chapter adapted...

Oh wow, a next episode preview? And it's amazing!
Kirki wrote:
The problem with Komi is that it's simply not as good as the manga readers had hyped it. The anime production goes above and beyond to offer a pleasurable watch and it succeeds as much as it is humanly possible. But it's still a 4-koma gag adaptation operating on two wheels: 1) Comedy and 2) Romance. First is how Komi will make friends, and second is how she will get her boyfriend.

Now the boyfriend is well-thought enough (even though he is... 'Just A Boy') but the friends are way too hit or miss. And sadly there are more misses than hits. The rest of the cast consists of completely stereotypical characters with no depth other than what their name describes them as, repeating the same jokes over and over again. They are not even bouncing off of each other (or Komi) well. For example, the moment Yamai appears on screen to harass Komi as the stereotypical predatory lesbian archetype, it ruins the show for me. It's not funny, it's downright creepy, and it's definitely aiming to project on some of its viewers.

Also the entire anime presents itself as how will Komi manage to connect despite her communication disorder, but in reality it is nothing but a gigantic Komi simping. Everybody deifies and likes Komi by default. She offers either zero effort into actually making people like her or does the bare minimum and is constantly praised like a godess by everyone around her simply because she's beautiful. If pretty privilege were ever an anime, that would be Komi.

The only person she is portrayed to have a meaningful relationship with, is Tadano. So it's no wonder people are tuning in for the romance and not for the 'friendship' aspect of the series. The rest of the cast is largely a miss and way too contrived comically.

I think we've seen her make efforts with Nakanaka, Agari, Inaka, and even Yamai (she initially told off Yamai for what she did to Tadano), and Nakanaka and Yamai fight like cats and dogs. Najimi plays off everybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tintor2



Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 1087
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
I gotta say whether it's a joke or not the handling of Tadano's friend is quite a better handling of LGBT themes than the other girl who was quite creepy instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blameitonStarBlazers
Subscriber



Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 206
Location: Westchester, NY
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This show is my happy place, every week. It never fails to cheer me up. Those faces! I love big-eyed quaking Komi so much. I’ve never read the manga, but the anime is killing it! The humor is, like, tailor made for me. And I’m so in love with the ED: the music, the rotoscoping, all of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malvarez1



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
The Kyoto School Trip arc, which begins in the next episode, is one of my favorite parts in the manga. The arc is also decently long by Komi standards, so depending how they pace it, it really may last for most of the rest of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 4950
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit they did an amazing job with Naruse's introduction. Absolutely perfect. It was as hilarious as Komi trying to downplay getting caught holding Tadano.

I think this episode probably had the most actual dialogue Aoi Koga has had in the entire series, and of course it's with Tadano. It was a really sweet scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amuro1X



Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The speaking around the corner scene is my favorite Komi/Tadano scene thus far since the first chalkboard scene back at the beginning.

I'm a bit worried we won't see a certain character show up before the end of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group