• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Komi Can't Communicate Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The new guy was kinda dull due to his repetitive gags so I was most sold on the actual serious drama involving Komi's former school and how Tadano keeps comforting her so that she might be able to to surpass her fears. Really hope dynamic keeps being the focus of future episodes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
I was really happy to see the tour guide chapter adapted. Did she sound like Maaya Uchida to anyone else? I don't think that was actually her though because she's already voicing Hitomi.

Also, quite the bathing scene...for both the gals and the guys.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
They kinda avoided cliches of bath scenes but I kinda cringed to Yamai's lust. Especially with out any consequence for this ''gag''
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it kinda felt too different from previous episodes as unlike the gag characters, the ones who interacted with Komi here weren't that exaggerated and felt like equals. Especially, how they know to Komi liking Tadano and the fact that they want to help the two become a couple.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
This was a really beautiful and well-directed episode, from the character dynamics, to the yo-yo-ing, to the line deliveries, and just that ending scene with Komi and Tadano.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, Tadano receiving chocolate only from Katai at school made me wonder. It's nice as usual from this friendship but when explored afterwards with the family it feels like an homophobic joke common in teenagers. Remember how a certain character from Persona opens up by doing stuff with the male MC that's normally found more common within girls? Kinda reminds me of that.

Meanwhile, I guess next week is the last episode so Tadano might give chocolate or something? The author sure felt like we wanted to pity him especially with that narration but it would be nice too if Tadano did like Katai and gave Komi chocolate at least as an excuse of friendship. It was kinda common when I was a teen.
DiscordMod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:10 am Reply with quote
At the beginning, I didn't like Yamai but I've grown fond of her bizarre antics. This season has me rolling over with laughter whenever Yamai pulls a stunt. Just the pic you posted here with her wearing Komi's stockings is meme gold.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
To each their own, but I found Yamai running down the hall with Komi's stockings on her head so funny I almost fell off my couch. Yeah, all the Yamai gags may not have me rolling, but most of the time they do, especially when they are SO over the top. And the angry girl bit had me guffawing also. Nothing may make me laugh as hard as Kaguya-sama did this year, but I get a good few laughs on a constant basis with Komi and this episode was no exception.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote
I'm not fond of Yamai, but I found that scene hilarious because that was the very worst thing she could do with Komi's stockings.
fromfaraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see other people agree that despite how annoying (and creepy) Yamai can be, the stocking scene was hilarious. I don't know why, but every time I read that part in the manga I can't help but chuckle.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
This was a pretty good finale to another beautiful and well-adapted season.

The voice cast, direction, and animation were always top-tier, and they ddi a wonderful job adapting the manga.

With all those teases in the ending sequence, I really hope we can get more anime Komi in the future.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
First of all I liked how the first story didn't use Katai's present as another gay joke which I feared that was how the anime was treating the characters and instead placed a short but serious focus on Tadano's feelings. The second story felt kinda rushed as I had no idea what was going on. Were they playing Beyblade? The third story was a nice ending and if Komi will speak with Tadano like this, then there is quite a sense of progress.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Overall, I enjoyed season two as much as the first one, and I'd love to watch additional seasons by the same staff. I just wish they'd stop using Katai as fodder for gay panic jokes involving Tadano.
thecritter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but the heavy emphasis on a batch of idiotic side characters ruined it for me.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:01 pm Reply with quote
thecritter wrote:
Sorry, but the heavy emphasis on a batch of idiotic side characters ruined it for me.

What's there to apologize for? If you don't like if for the reason you specify, then you don't like it. Different strokes for different folks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2