• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Caressing the Nipples of My Hibernating Bear BL TV Anime Reveals More Cast, July 3 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:44 am Reply with quote
As a gay chub, I'm disappointed these "bears" are just typical anime twinks and not "actual" bears.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
As a gay chub, I'm disappointed these "bears" are just typical anime twinks and not "actual" bears.

If you want more bear-ish dudes but with more shoujo-esque aesthetics, I very much recommend Yura Tamaki's "Mr" (as in "Mister") and "Partners", although note that both involve S/M and dom/sub relationships quite heavily. Yura's works may be old-timey (she was active back in the early '90s to early '00s) and likely wouldn't really fly today as they're a bit too "gay subculture in '90s America as interpreted by a Japanese person not part of that subculture, including some unfortunate stereotypes", but her style is the closest in BL I've seen to the actual gay-comi of the times (as in, by gay men for gay men, as opposed to BL which was/is still mostly by women for women), and she definitely was very much interested in and involved with the topic and did her research insofar as what was avaliable to her at the time (including hardcore ero videos, heh). So they're interesting at the very least, although definitely not on the cute, fluffy side of ero BL.

(For something less hardcore, her "Blood" and "Brother" are also good IMO. "Blood" in particular is interesting with its "homosexuality in violent gangs" thing, as well as using the "man hates all gays because he was abused by a male pedophile" trope except not offering it as an excuse for the pain and destruction that person's hate causes to everyone around him, while every other gay person in the story is shown as sympathetic, and even as being happily married.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2