• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Starting Over from Zenless Zone Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
Rayid Ghani Is also makeing money on data analysis tools so of course he would say that off the record
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:

They need to drum up interest somehow if they don't want to be dead in a week like the Nicktoons Brawl game. Or the Sony All Stars Royal game before that. Weird to think we're back with the Smash Bros 'killers' again.

Pretty much. The whole attempt to jury-rig Smash into a competitive fighter was always pathetic and insular. And that's not even getting into how the entire competitive Smash community is still on extended probation for absolutely appalling behavior.
livin_large

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
The obvious question here is, how do you know this can be solved so easily? To quote Rayid Ghani, a computer scientist at Carnegie Mellon University:
Quote:
Ghani says that his team has carried out unpublished analyses comparing algorithms used in public health, criminal justice and education to human decision making. They found that the machine-learning systems were biased — but less so than the people.

“We are still using these algorithms called humans that are really biased,” says Ghani. “We’ve tested them and known that they’re horrible, but we still use them to make really important decisions every day.”

In light of this, the quote in the ANN article seems quite arrogant and ignorant to me.

I find myself agreeing with that quote about humans being more flawed than any algorithm. A machine could never come up with such self-indulgent concept pitches like New Warriors.

I always saw this kind of chart as the natural endgame to the sub-culture that gave us those "How Privileged Are You?" questionnaires that gave you a score based on how you answered. I suspect that's how we get conflicting attempts at diversity like the strangely popular "queer Muslim" archetype which always prompts huge backlash from the actual Muslim community. Or how you see complaints from black fans about how so many black male character in western media these days seems to always be very effeminate and non-threatening. Or whenever directors and studios try to pander to Asian markets and it always backfires because they think China is interested in Asian-American issues and actors like Awkwafina. People know that these traits individually are considered diverse and underprivileged, so logic stands that if you simply combine them all together then it must yield some kind of super diverse result regardless of how they actually interact with one another.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:10 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
I find myself agreeing with that quote about humans being more flawed than any algorithm. A machine could never come up with such self-indulgent concept pitches like New Warriors.

Algorithms perform more consistently than humans because they are consistent by definition, but they only function within human-defined limits and will always, inevitably reflect the blind spots of their designers. They're sets of instructions, not intelligent beings making rational decisions. Everything you just complained about could easily come out of an algorithm, and some of it probably did.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Smash fans throwing some shade Laughing

They need to drum up interest somehow if they don't want to be dead in a week like the Nicktoons Brawl game. Or the Sony All Stars Royal game before that. Weird to think we're back with the Smash Bros 'killers' again.

Agreed. It's a big incentive for competitive players to play a game that they might not otherwise and drum up some interest because it seemed to have "burst" onto the scene. I'm somewhat reminded of how people thought Apex came out of nowhere and caught on with big streamers when it first launched. It turns out that some streamers, like Ninja, had been sponsored.

This is a more honest approach in comparison, but I don't think a brand new game that is still not fully released yet would be on the tournament scene without some cash behind it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2