• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Norman Reedus About Death Stranding: 'We Just Started the 2nd One'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:40 am Reply with quote
The original game was very successful so a sequel is not that surprising, though I hoped that Kojima would work on a completely new game. I wonder if this going to be developed exclusively for the PS5 (with a possible PC version) or it's going be a cross-generational game like Horizon Forbidden West, GT7 and the next God of War.
Speaking about Kojima, lately there has been some leaks about a new Silent Hill game and there were some rumors that Sony was interested in buying the Silent Hill IP from Konami and bringing Kojima back to direct the cancelled Silent Hills project, but with this Death Stranding sequel announcement I think those rumors are starting to lose credibility.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think those rumors are starting to lose credibility.

Not necessarily.

Kojima has mentioned that they are working on multiple projects. One big AAA game that he feels most people will like, a smaller project, and an anime.

The Silent Hill leaks seem to suggest multiple projects- a mainline game, including a new P.T. to market the new games, a possible remake, and what seems like an anthology of smaller indy projects by various studios.

Kojima could be involved with any of the smaller projects.

As for Death Stranding 2, Kojima tends to really revamp and heavily reiterate and improve upon previous games in series he makes, so a Death Stranding 2 could be something very different, in fact it could be a completely different story altogether with only recurring characters if he wanted.

We also don't really know if Reedus is actually dropping the fact that the next game is actually Death Stranding, or if that's just what he is loosely calling his next project with Kojima.

It's not out of the question that Kojima would return to it. Apparently development was a bit rocky with murmurings that Sony cut the budget heavily preventing him from managing to accomplish all that he wanted, but now that the game is demonstrably profitable, Kojima may revisit it to fully capitalize on all that he can do with the concept that he wasn't able to do before, and also make improvements to the base gameplay and expand it greatly, possibly even to outer space.

Porting Death Stranding to the Director's Cut for PS5 likely indicates that they are seeing what Decima can do on PS5 and knowing Kojima's penchant, he will likely maximize what the game can do by making it PS5-exclusive for the SSD speeds that would greatly help with open-world design and he probably wants to be as ambitious as possible, including graphically.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:33 pm Reply with quote
A part two of Death Stranding? Who requested that?

I'm serious. Who wanted a sequel for that game? I couldn't even make heads or tails of the plot.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
A part two of Death Stranding? Who requested that?

I'm serious. Who wanted a sequel for that game? I couldn't even make heads or tails of the plot.

Fans of the premise and gameplay? I can see Kojima improving and building upon this with more traditional action and mechs and even horror.

Plus there is no reason that Death Stranding needs to have direct story sequels any more than Final Fantasy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1