• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshihiro Togashi Teases Hunter x Hunter Manga's Return with 4 New Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Look, Togashi. I know you do Hunter x Hunter now whenever you just feel like it. But it be nice if you could do it at a consistent rate.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the Manga, so I must ask. Does Hunter X Hunter strike anyone as having an end goal in mind or does it just feel like a story arc by story arc type of Manga, where the ending can be inserted at any point.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I haven't read the Manga, so I must ask. Does Hunter X Hunter strike anyone as having an end goal in mind or does it just feel like a story arc by story arc type of Manga, where the ending can be inserted at any point.

It impossible to really say as it pretty much deconstructs it's premises all the time. Right now, the actual protagonist of the series is firmly sidelined from the current arc which is going off into increasing complex tangents and an ever expanding cast. Sometimes it feels like Togashi has a plan and others that he is just going along, writing by the seat of his pants on what he thinks would be interesting to do.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Look, Togashi. I know you do Hunter x Hunter now whenever you just feel like it. But it be nice if you could do it at a consistent rate.

"whenever you just feel like it" is sure a weird way to say "when you're physically able to draw for a period of time without subjecting yourself to severe and debilitating back pain". Like of all the famous mangaka who deal with health problems, Togashi has been perhaps the most open of any of them in discussing why the physical act of making manga is excruciating for him and takes a ton of time to produce anything. You'd think people would stop acting like that's some kind of laziness.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
"whenever you just feel like it" is sure a weird way to say "when you're physically able to draw for a period of time without subjecting yourself to severe and debilitating back pain". Like of all the famous mangaka who deal with health problems, Togashi has been perhaps the most open of any of them in discussing why the physical act of making manga is excruciating for him and takes a ton of time to produce anything. You'd think people would stop acting like that's some kind of laziness.

I would not begrudge him at all if he chose to totally end the series because his health is indeed that very bad. But I've never seen it fully confirmed one way or another beyond rumors. I think it's more likely that he just doesn't want to ever again suffer the sheer burnout that he got at the end of Yu Yu Hakusho, which again is fair enough. But I don't think it's unreasonable to wish that he'd give us something at least per year even if it's only a single chapter if Togashi is going to continue.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
But I've never seen it fully confirmed one way or another beyond rumors. I think it's more likely that he just doesn't want to ever again suffer the sheer burnout that he got at the end of Yu Yu Hakusho,

Then you apparently haven't been looking very far, because Togashi has been remarkably public about his health problems over the years, especially about his back issues. Multiple times in his own author comments he mentioned severe, debilitating back pain. To quote some of his comments from HxH chapters in 2016:

Quote:
The worst part of back pain is that it's only after it gets a little better that you can go to the hospital

Quote:
Stuck in bed -> crawl on all fours -> Find help -> Struggle to get up and go to the hospital

Along with those are multiple comments about being bedridden and unable to even sit up to use the toilet. At the start of one hiatus, he said outright that the break was for him to undergo back surgery.

So yeah, I think it's a whole hell of a lot more likely that over a decade of chronic, debilitating pain and disability are the cause of Togashi's output, not him only working on it "when he feels like it."
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:49 am Reply with quote
Oh my god! Sooooo excited for this!
Sure, I hope we'll get more than 4 chapters, but I'll take anything I can get. This arc is too awesome to not know where it's going. Really hope Togashi will finish it at some point.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:13 am Reply with quote
U just know this series is well-beloved when people go crazy for announcement that says he will draw 4 more chapters. Almost the same energy as when a game studio announces their game won't have micro-transactions Laughing
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
Just please...please don't let this turn into a "Berserk" situation.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
This is crazy lol. I lost sight of Hxh along time ago. Nothing against the fans that still follow but i just can't follow a schedule like this. There are so many other manga authors that are far more deserving for there excellent work. If the man can barely draw 1 chapter a year, then im sorry he needs to RETIRE. Get someone else to draw the manga. At this rate my Kids, Kids and my Great grandkids will be adults before this manga is ever finished, presuming I live to be 90 years old.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:34 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Then you apparently haven't been looking very far, because Togashi has been remarkably public about his health problems over the years, especially about his back issues. Multiple times in his own author comments he mentioned severe, debilitating back pain. To quote some of his comments from HxH chapters in 2016:

Along with those are multiple comments about being bedridden and unable to even sit up to use the toilet. At the start of one hiatus, he said outright that the break was for him to undergo back surgery.

So yeah, I think it's a whole hell of a lot more likely that over a decade of chronic, debilitating pain and disability are the cause of Togashi's output, not him only working on it "when he feels like it."

Those author comments should get brought up in every HxH article so it can put a stop to those rumors about Dragon Quest & his wife doing the work (which was never proven to be true). The former did stop for a while but then I saw it get brought up again most recently.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Great to have him finally back again, I just hope he can last a bit longer this time.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Zeino wrote:

He has options to continue the manga's story at a much more consistent pace. Sure, his health is of the utmost importance, but you can't make a promise about giving us a story, then be so inconsistent about it, and then having people like you expect us to not say anything, no matter how justified the reasons are for his hiatuses.

He could outsource the drawing, since his art has been so bad given his health reasons, that anyone he could bring in to draw the manga could only be an improvement, like how Toyotaro has been drawing Dragon Ball Super while Toriyama writes the story; I don't think said artist could have much input in the manga's story, so it's safe to say Togashi would still retain creative control if that's why he's so adamant to keep up drawing the story at this horrible pace.

I just can't have respect for an author that has all kinds of options to continue his work in his lifetime and doesn't want to compromise in a half-stubborn belief that the only good art is the one he makes in the way he makes them. Neil Gaiman ruined it for everyone who asks for closure on narrative stories by saying gEoRgE rR mArTiN iS nOt yOuR bItCh, since apparently as a fandom, we can't be critical for author's behaviour or their way of making a story.
micah007

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
I already made a vow to wait for this series no matter how frequent the hiatuses interrupt the chapter releases. This manga is one of my all time favorites, and I have no problem waiting.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Zeino wrote:

He has options to continue the manga's story at a much more consistent pace. Sure, his health is of the utmost importance, but you can't make a promise about giving us a story, then be so inconsistent about it, and then having people like you expect us to not say anything, no matter how justified the reasons are for his hiatuses.

He could outsource the drawing, since his art has been so bad given his health reasons, that anyone he could bring in to draw the manga could only be an improvement, like how Toyotaro has been drawing Dragon Ball Super while Toriyama writes the story; I don't think said artist could have much input in the manga's story, so it's safe to say Togashi would still retain creative control if that's why he's so adamant to keep up drawing the story at this horrible pace.

I just can't have respect for an author that has all kinds of options to continue his work in his lifetime and doesn't want to compromise in a half-stubborn belief that the only good art is the one he makes in the way he makes them. Neil Gaiman ruined it for everyone who asks for closure on narrative stories by saying gEoRgE rR mArTiN iS nOt yOuR bItCh, since apparently as a fandom, we can't be critical for author's behaviour or their way of making a story.

“Critical of an author’s behavior” is not what you’re doing. You’re complaining that a man has the audacity to be suffering from crippling pain and not putting you first. That’s plain old shitty entitlement where your enjoyment is above humanity. You are not entitled to eternal consumption. There are plenty of other things for you to devour while believing yourself the center of the universe. Stories go unfinished all the time for a variety of reasons, and if you supposedly give a damn about them and care for them then you understand that’s a part of storytelling. Seeing these kind of reactions for an announcement when he *is continuing that work* makes me wonder why he bothers at all, because this is so callous and cruel for no reason. The amount that he loves his work and still continues to do it when he can is testament that he’s able to overlook or more likely, in spite of, seeing such terrible things said about him for the mere crime of making something people like. It’s frankly amazing that you say you can’t respect someone while saying
“Sure his health is the most important, but…” and “no matter how justified the reasons are”
as if someone saying that has any respect to give.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4