• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshihiro Togashi Teases Hunter x Hunter Manga's Return with 4 New Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:30 am Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
He has a responsibility with his fans about the story he's telling

Literally, what are you even talking about, holy shit. What is this made up responsibility that you are talking about ? He could announce today that the manga is over, and nothing would change. He doesn't owe us anything, we don't owe him anything, this relationship has no rules like that.

Also, the people here (and elsewhere) that talk about how Togashi should just give his work to someone else, are legit insane. I have (!) to assume that none of the people who say such things are artists, because there is no way you'd say something like that otherwise. You are really asking an artist to give away their story, their art, their characters, their everything to someone else just so they can continue?.

In their defence, I dont think they're asking Togashi to give away his ENTIRE work for someone else to do. Togashi would still have full-control over the story's direction & characters but art can be handled by someone else since drawing the manga is clearly a physical issue for him. Of course, if he doesn't want someone else to do the art, then he has every right to decline. Its his work after all...
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Of course, if he doesn't want someone else to do the art, then he has every right to decline. Its his work after all...

And considering how many years have passed, and he hasn't done that, I'd say we know what his stance on that is. Of course, it could change.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:41 am Reply with quote
BTW, I've been following this news and the only thing we actually have is one twitter account, while Shueisha's only answer (to Oricon News) have been "We've been told that Twitter account is his" [Togashi's]

Also, authors own us nothing at all, unless we've been paying for his medical expenses. And even then
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:16 am Reply with quote
To this day I wish the 1999 version just kept going. Yes, it invents additional stories to """pad""" the time, but all those additions are excellent (and 1 ghostwritten by Togashi but no one seems to know or care). To me, 99 anime is the definitive version of the manga, which is rough in a few places (including the art). "But it adds things not in the manga NOT CANON NOT CANON!" scream the source material purists. And they can keep screaming.

But I am glad the story will be finished.

(and to those saying "first anime is ugly", the direction and camerawork is 10/10, and you will be surprised what a lot of love and care from fans can do to improve image quality......)
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:15 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
..... authors own us nothing at all, unless we've been paying for his medical expenses. And even then

When you create an engaging story, you enter into a magical contract with the people you give that story to, a contract to finish the story. A Nen contract, if you will. If you ever created a short comic, or even a series of drawings, you receive an understanding that you should finish, and when done must show the final piece to your followers. The feeling is very much real, all creators know it. I know it well.

Now, legally no one owes me an ending to anything. But such creator that chooses to abandon his fans and never give them an ending, is a jerk. Yes. I used the J word. Am I referring to Togashi here? No. It's a general statement.

I seen this argument before, and it is quite bizarre. The reason some people go to such lengths to defend creators is a reason that is usually kept hidden. What drives people to defend creators from all criticism? Is it the hope of becoming the creator's friend? It is to appear more humble and virtious than the rest of "toxic and entitled" fans? I say it's always a mixture of both.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:52 am Reply with quote
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
(...)I have seen this argument before, and it is quite bizarre. The reason some people go to such lengths to defend creators is a reason that is usually kept hidden. What drives people to defend creators from all criticism? Is it the hope of becoming the creator's friend? It is to appear more humble and virtuous than the rest of "toxic and entitled" fans? I say it's always a mixture of both.

I've criticized authors before but I think that "being ill" is not a valid cause of criticism, nen contract or not.
As for the rest of your argument: Rolling Eyes
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:04 am Reply with quote
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:

When you create an engaging story, you enter into a magical contract with the people you give that story to, a contract to finish the story. A Nen contract, if you will. If you ever created a short comic, or even a series of drawings, you receive an understanding that you should finish, and when done must show the final piece to your followers.

You know, I was reading your reply, fully expecting it to be sarcastic, over the top and poking fun at others.. until it became clear that you are actually being serious.

Quote:
What drives people to defend creators from all criticism?

What are people even criticizing here ? That an artists dares to be sick ? That an artist dares to draw and write on their own pace ? That an artist dares to want to finish their own (!) creation ?

There is nothing humble about asking people to not treat a human like a robot, with no passion and feeling. That should be normal for anyone. Nor does anyone here expects Togashi to become their best friend, by writing comments on animenewsnetwork, as crazy as this might sound. I also would say, that it's not exactly a challenge to appear more "humble and virtuous", when the "criticism" isn't constructive nor fair but rude and entitled. So no, I wouldn't say there is a mixture whatsoever.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:

One can only hope that the insane growth he's getting tells him how much we love his story. Maybe it'll convince him to consider considering vetting for and hiring assistant artists (like Miura did). Maybe also asking for a quarterly release schedule, rather than weekly once he can release stuff.
Togashi is under no obligations to hire assistants. Reading some of the selfish replies in this thread makes me wish Togashi didn't bring it back because his "fans" don't deserve it.

Did I say he was under any obligations? These are suggestions to make his life easier.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
However, how does he owe his fans nothing?

He's been making manga since 1986, serialized manga since 1989, & has produced two of the most iconic Shonen Jump properties of all time, Yu Yu Hakusho & Hunter x Hunter, in the process... And yet he STILL "owes his fans"?

That's selfish thinking, because he's given the fans more than enough; anything else he gives at this point is a gift. If there's anything fans are "owed", it's official English releases of his other two serialized works, Ten de Showaru Cupid & Level E, as well as his collection of one-shots Okami Nante Kowakunai!! (which I will now always translate as "I Ain't Afriad of No Wolf!!"). If you want to complain to someone when it comes to Yoshihiro Togashi, then complain to Viz for seemingly refusing to release the remainder of Togashi's catalog, instead preferring to literally not release anything in the four years since Hunter x Hunter last went on hiatus. As a fan of his works, wouldn't you be pleased with simply MORE of his manga, even if it's not more HxH?

Togashi himself doesn't owe anything anything, because he's already long made his mark in history. To assume that he still does just shows that, in some people's minds, he'll NEVER stop owing fans, because they'll never be content with what they got.

I think that once you get someone invested in a product you make money off of, you should always do your best. Togashi is doing the best he can, but he's also just making it really hard on himself to continue.

I don't see how I'm being selfish, here. I'm saying there's ways to make it easier on himself. I've also said that it would be healthier for him to just stop working and focus fully on treatment and getting healthy. Pride of the artist combined with Japan's messed up work culture and the tradition of mangaka's being both authir and artist. That's one if the few aspects I appreciate of the comic industry. There's pride, yes, but if someone is sick/can't work for awhile the original artist won't fight a temporary substitute or working with someone else.

That said, Togashi can do what he wants. He's under no obligation to make things easier on himself. Maybe he uses his situation as motivation?
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
have his back pain and let's see if you'd continue the work or not
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
@ASAnime6 wrote:
have his back pain and let's see if you'd continue the work or not
Including whether or not you could continue it even using assistants, if you’re in too much pain to have a conversation.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:33 am Reply with quote
This went better than expected. Thought I would get absolutely railed for my honest words, in the grand scheme the responses were pretty mild. Thank you.

It was a tiny sentence, so of course everyone missed it. Repeating then: I was not talking about Togashi at all, but making a generalized Re: creators do not owe fans an ending.

But yes, this is good news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4