• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Gets New Live-Action Series at Apple by J.J. Abrams

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is the live action Your Name officially canceled? Wasn't JJ Abrams supposed to do that next?

No, Your Name live action is being done by Marc Webb, the guy who did The Amazing Spiderman duology, and that is still happening

I haven't seen the Spider-Man movies but I know his first feature film was 500 Days of Summer so this might work.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Man, I used to watch a lot of Speed Racer (or Meteoro as we call him in Latin America) in the late 90s. The movie by the Wachowskis was pretty good, but I didn't remember the original anime being that wacky and colorful, I also watched the 90s anime but it wasn't that good. I can't imagine a live-action series, I'd love to see an animated show done in a 60s style but with better animation and voice acting (I know Speed Racer's English voice acting is a reason why the show is remembered but
that wasn't the case in most foreign dubs)

I think you are in denial because the show is
VERY wacky and colorful and no it wasn’t just
because of the English dub.

The mere fact that half of the show isn’t even
about racing and Speed just becomes some all around
bad ass action hero just goes to show how much silly fun
the series was.

I mean Speed’s family has a chimpanzee!

Now that’s not to say the Wachowskis did not change things

Speed is way more cocky in the show to the point of being an arrogant jerk
and personally I can see why they dialed that down to make the protagonist
more like able. Which is not to say Speed wasn’t likable in the show
but I think the show has the advantage of being a long series
whereas the movie only has so much time.

But behind all wackiness the movie is ultimately
a show about family and following your dream.

Both the movie and tv series are campy and chaotic
though in their own unique way. I think both are great.

I don’t think we need another Speed Racer live action
but whatever let’s see what J.J. does.

Though I think it would be better if he did some mecha.
That seems like it would fit his style more
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'd like to know who thought a live-action version of "Speed Racer" was a good idea. There seems to be no real need for it and it might not last long. Why are they doing this? It would be a better idea to let the Japanese do an anime version of "Ninja Warrior." The world would be better off if "Speed Racer" stayed in the realm of animation. It works better that way.

The Wachowskis already made a live-action Speed Racer movie 14 years ago. It may wind up being better than this series, given the track record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8sLlqJB2w
Francesco Nicoletti

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
Speed Racer is a racing/combat show with many many cars set in many many places. It’s ideal for animation as most of the time all your animating is machines or people in helmets. For live action though all those machines and locations cost a fortune. Yeh you could CG them , but not on a second tier streaming program budget, look what happened to Cowboy Beebop.
Also Bad Robot + Warners + years in development doesn’t sound encouraging.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm well aware that there's a live-action movie of "Speed Racer,"immblueversion. It's just I'm with a lot of other people here. I can't see how this series is ever going to work. It's going to be like one of those challenges on "Top Gear" that end up going wrong. Getting the cars alone is going to be an expensive proposition. Not even bringing in Corinne Orr to even be in this will help it. I've said it before,I'll say it again. This isn't going to work. "Speed Racer" works better in animation than live action. It should stay there.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I love the Wachowski movie.

Doubt they'll imitate that slavish artistry.

Doubt they'll do a Mad Max Fury Road effort with real cars.

I'm expecting a cheap budget Fast & Furious.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I must be one of the few people in the entire world to have unironically enjoyed the Speed Racer movie. It's been years since I watched that movie, but I still have fond memories of it. Hopefully, Netflix will be able to do the property justice.

Unfortunately, J.J. Abrams is not in a good place right now. Supposedly, Warner Bros. isn't happy with the lack of progress on his part to deliver on the projects he promised when he made a deal with the studio all the way back in 2019.

It's like this show is his contingency plan should WB give him the boot.
Sibi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:35 am Reply with quote
The destroyer of franchises is at it again
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:07 am Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
I must be one of the few people in the entire world to have unironically enjoyed the Speed Racer movie. It's been years since I watched that movie, but I still have fond memories of it. Hopefully, Netflix will be able to do the property justice.

Unfortunately, J.J. Abrams is not in a good place right now. Supposedly, Warner Bros. [url=https://comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/justice_league_dark/warner-bros-reportedly-frustrated-with-jj-abrams-failure-to-deliver-the-dc-properties-he's-earmarked-a193974]isn't happy[/url] with the lack of progress on his part to deliver on the projects he promised when he made a deal with the studio all the way back in 2019.

It's like this show is his contingency plan should WB give him the boot.

That's what gets me. The studio literally announced this an hour after WarnerMedia pointed out their displeasure (although from what I understand, that is part of a larger scale auditing of everything under the new regime, hence the cancelations of a lot of stuff), which does not lend a lot of credibility to Abrams actually shipping this out.
vampiyan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
What was the point of the original Star Trek besides let’s make a sci-fi show on the cheap?

I always saw Star Trek as the more slower paced, talky, philosophical, procedural sci-fi series compared to Star Wars' more action adventure space opera myself which the Abrams films felt like they were emulating. Given J.J. Abrams track record, he might actually not be a bad fit for this since Mach Go Go Go is already an action adventure series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
I don't see any problem with a Speed Racer live action TV series. As long as you keep the action in it, the racing in it, and the mystery in it, it should be feasible. Even with a bare bones budget, while it wouldn't look as nice,and as long as the writing is good it is quite feasible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2