• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strange Watch/Rewatch Urges

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
I have a sizable physical collection, too; somewhere north of 1,000 discs, a sizable portion of which are DVD singles. When I'm looking for a rewatch from them, I just go with whatever strikes my fancy as I'm scanning through the options.

For instance, I randomly rewatched all of Kurau Phantom Memory earlier this week, though that one's in a collection of titles that I rewatch in full at least once every year or two. (It has stronger rewatch value than most, even if the old DVDs don't look that great, because of its powerful emotional core.) Also have been rewatching Devil is a Part-Timer! lately (in anticipation of the upcoming second season). I hope to hit an average of one older series a week over my summer break. Won't always be the best stuff, either; Baccano! is a likely candidate for this summer, but so is Legend of the Legendary Heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Key, there was nothing in your post that made me think of StrangeWatch/Rewatch Urges... until you mentioned the Legend of the Legendary Heroes, a titular redundancy that never fails to make me chuckle. It is certainly not the worst show ever created but I think it definitely deserves to be put in the "Strange Rewatch Urge" category.
bones2039

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, since it was requested, these are some of the titles the D20 has given me.

The World of Narue. Still okay. It's got a weird charm I like but wouldn't feel the need to go back to.

Suzuka. I find I enjoy this show, but it doesn't hang around long in my mind and scream to be rewatched. Without the D20 I'm not sure when I might have ever decided to rewatch it.

Medaka Box and Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Fun fact, both were #13, which also happens to be the only number since I've started this habit to role multiple times. Both were better than I originally thought, and I feel Birdy is a show that I should have gotten back to sooner as I really liked it on rewatch.

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. It's still just okay in my mind. It's fun, but I won't go back to it probably until I decide it should go back in the pool. Which might be a long time.

Gun X Sword. Another one I feel I should have liked a lot more the first time!

Dragonaut: still meh. I think the ideas are good, but it just doesn't really work for me.

For the record, I am still heavily a physical media guy. I stream some shows but others I watch a few episodes to judge them, read reviews, and wait for the show to be at a price point I feel it's worth it. I get the feeling that's strange by today's standards.

It's been a while since I've rolled the D20, only because I have a stack of shows I want to get to first and with some changes to my job I just have not had the time I wish I still had to watch as much anime.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah, LoL Heroes. It has a moment in which the main character voiced by Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch, Code Geass) laughs maniacally while calling his foe a maggot. It's worth it for that (though Key might watch it dubbed). Though if I wanna see that scene again I'll just look it up on Youtube. And I do also chuckle at the title. And do a double-take whenever it's mentioned just to make sure Legend of the Galactic Heroes wasn't said instead.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:51 pm Reply with quote
@ Cam0 - now you've made me want to find that moment, too!

@ bones2039 - thank you for satisfying my (our?) curiosity!

The World of Narue: own it but haven't watched it yet.

Suzuka - streamed it years ago, bought a physical copy and haven't rewatched yet. Not chomping at the bit.

Medaka Box (and Medaka Box Abnormal) - streamed these when they came out, basically enjoyed them, may even have flirted with buying them but never did. Now the mood seems to have passed.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode - own but have not watched yet.

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - own the set with the nice artbox and have watched once. Will probably rewatch at some point, but not a priority.

Gun x Sword - funny you mention this one. For some reason lately I've had a strange urge to watch it. Don't own it and streaming via Funi is fine by me.

Dragonaut - watched my copy. Meh, indeed. Don't see me rewatching this. Should probably sell my copy but whenever I've done this in the past I tend to end up regretting it.

Tales of the Abyss is another show I've never seen before and for some reason have a hankering to see. Again, streaming will be fine, don't feel the need to buy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Every so often I do get the urge to rewatch a show I was anywhere from "meh" to "sweet baby jesus make it stop" just to see if my tastes have changed that much. I know they have over time so I often wonder if anime/manga/game/etc was really as bad as I thought it was. Was it just me? Was it my mood?

Shades of mommy issues & sparkle sparkle vampire club are still hard no's for example. It's not just me. I think no less of anyone who likes those particular franchises...but yea....rather go face first into a wood chipper myself.

As for an anime title I recently re-watched under this premise I immediately thought of Guilty Crown. Was season 2 really THAT bad? I actually didn't think so and changed my opinion. Sure season 1 was still by far the better of the 2 seasons, but season 2 was not THAT bad as I think of it now. Perhaps it's because I'm a bit easier to please now a days and often may not be as critical as I once was.

On the flip side one anime I attempted to re-watch, and once again dropped it, was Emo Seed Hot Topic. I mean Gundam Seed Destiny. The story and characters were just as contrived and annoying now as in the past. Ironically the visuals, which did not use to bother me as much, actually bother me more now as well. It's not that they are bad per se', they just seem even more out of place for a Gundam title now in my opinion. I have no problem with the same visuals in Fafner, but in a Gundam title they just seem to be so out of place and stand out against the plethora of other Gundam titles. Then on top of that you have Shinn & Kira....no thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2