• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Spriggan Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:

The "even Hitler had some good in him Smile" part of the manga is really funny and obviously neither the anime nor the Seven Seas release will touch it (hell it made the translators uncomfortable even back in the 90s)

I dunno. I'll wait to see if any future trailers/concept art will attempt to modify this. SS has yet to make a statement regarding the Holy Grail arc though (I'll have to check the chapters in the second deluxe version since they're cramming it with four volumes).

But yeah, I'm not surprised if any translator who worked on it from Viz regarding Hitler having some good in him. Although researchers are debating on whether he's got a case of split personality or he's just a dark, evil person all along.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
Finally finished the ep 6; absolutely fantastic series, my only significant issue is the visual quality drop in episode 5. I dunno what happened to the animation direction there but I'm just gonna assume rush work and not lack of skill (like that one infamous Dragon Ball Super that was a mess despite a great animation director).

It's sad how this series is seen by anime fandom in general but it's to expected given this is exactly the kinda content that got adapted into "mediocre, style over substance" OVAs that aren't very well received. I think much like a lot of those OVAs and their manga basis there's way smarter stuff going on under the hood than you'd think.

Yu Ominae wrote:
kakugo complete wrote:

The "even Hitler had some good in him Smile" part of the manga is really funny and obviously neither the anime nor the Seven Seas release will touch it (hell it made the translators uncomfortable even back in the 90s)

I dunno. I'll wait to see if any future trailers/concept art will attempt to modify this. SS has yet to make a statement regarding the Holy Grail arc though (I'll have to check the chapters in the second deluxe version since they're cramming it with four volumes).

But yeah, I'm not surprised if any translator who worked on it from Viz regarding Hitler having some good in him. Although researchers are debating on whether he's got a case of split personality or he's just a dark, evil person all along.

I think "split personality" was an over the top shonen metaphor to say something else; the dude did care for his country but other human flaws that come with national and ethnic pride turned him into a monster. I saw comments along the lines of "Hiroshi Takashige got it wrong, Hitler was always antisemitic, he didn't develop those views after he gained power" but I doubt he thought otherwise. I doubt allied WW2 solders had no hint of racism, homophobia... or indeed antisemitism. I'm sure some were hardcore bigots towards at least one group. But that doesn't mean they didn't care for their people.

Hitler is obviously a touchy subject TO SAY THE LEAST but I don't see what Spriggan did as hugely different from what Jojo did with Stroheim. I used to find the latter stupid "lol, Japan doesn't get it" stuff but now I get what was going through the authors' heads more.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I liked the TV series, but the one thing I thought that could've made it better was if each episode started out with a brief flashback in historical times showing how the ancient artifact was used/abused before disappearing into history - something like 2000s TV series Relic Hunter where each episode started out the same way.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I liked the TV series, but the one thing I thought that could've made it better was if each episode started out with a brief flashback in historical times showing how the ancient artifact was used/abused before disappearing into history - something like 2000s TV series Relic Hunter where each episode started out the same way.

That would ruin all the mystery from the get go and goes against the appeal of discovering all this stuff out of its original context along with Yu.
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The only time that happened was in the Crystal Skull episode.

The Berserker episode had that too, but it's more pronounced in the manga.

I heard some stuff that the Phantom Isle episode/manga arc could be inspired by the phantom island Frisland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisland
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2