• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Regarding; The Devil Is a Part-Timer!!

I may be mistaken, but wasn't there a OVA, or some sort of special that introduced the little girl character awhile back.
It was short, about 6 episodes{I think}.
Question

Nice to see the group again, though the character of Alciel seems more forceful, and less the
obedient servant.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
About Mao, I guess the staff wanted to reintroduce them to the audience which might explain why there was so much focus on a cockroach in the first episode.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Minor correction to James' review of Devil: Suzuno is the neighbor, not Emi.

The first episode is a mix of direct adaption of the Prologue and Chapter 1 of novel 3 and interpretive scenes that are still in the spirit of the show. (The whole cockroach sequence may be anime-original, though I'm thinking it did pop up at some point later in the novels.) The only thing out of place was Sariel's reappearance being moved up, though it still fit the "reintroduce everyone" approach that the episode was clearly taking. Those concerned about the sports bra reference (which is directly from the source material) may be mollified to know that the matter rarely comes up again after this point.

There's no need to be concerned about the show "jumping the shark" with Alas Ramus's appearance, either. As you'll see, she integrates quite smoothly into the show's established antics.

As for whether any of the content is going to seem dated because of the way anime has shifted over the last 10 years? Less sure about this one, but I don't foresee that being a significant problem. The adaptation could easily eliminate a few minor dated references without affecting the overall story or feel one bit, and most of the content should be timeless enough that the production time gap won't matter.

EDIT:
Janitor Tzap wrote:
Regarding; The Devil Is a Part-Timer!!

[i]I may be mistaken, but wasn't there a OVA, or some sort of special that introduced the little girl character awhile back.

You may be thinking of a different series. She doesn't come up in this story before the scene shown here, and I'm quite sure no animation was made for the franchise between the 2013 series and now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
About Devil, I'm not sure if I can blame this entirely on the change in character designs, but the character animations, especially their facial animations, look uncanny to me. Sure there are some good goofy expressions here and there, but overall their expressions are very, very stiff and barely animated. It bothered me throughout the whole episode. I'm not sure if I can expect better going forward if this is the standard set by the first episode. Still, happy to see the crew back after 9 years.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
Devil was great. Whole family loved it. We laughed and smiled the whole time. 5/5
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:19 am Reply with quote
I noticed Waccha PriMagi! is missing from the daily streaming survey. Could someone please fix this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:47 am Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:

I'm curious what are you referring to as heavy -hitters,I can only think of Danmachi (and maybe Love Live?)

Isekai Ojisan from Netflix will be available two weeks late apart from Japan and few other countries.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:

I'm curious what are you referring to as heavy -hitters,I can only think of Danmachi (and maybe Love Live?)

Isekai Ojisan from Netflix will be available two weeks late apart from Japan and few other countries.

I'm pretty doubtful this one will be a heavy hitter but who knows in a season like this
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Isekai Ojisan's killing it so far with Koyasu, I really hope it makes it in.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Children of the Soot is one of those series I can keep track of while its airing, but by the time a sequel rolls around, I've forgotten half of the names and relationships. This first episode helped get me up to speed, but I think I'm still a bit muddled. Hopefully the weekly reviews will hold my hand and lead me through it, because I do like the story and the characters.

I was less at sea diving into the continuation of Musashi's Magic Pants, since the first cour barely made any progress to remember. But even then, I can't quite recall where they previously met Michiru who's apparently joining their team. At any rate, it looks like this should start moving along now that everyone has powered up properly and most of the Bushi clans have joined forces.

I'm delighted that The Devil's Isekai Life!! is back, and I think they did a pretty good job of reintroducing the characters after a decade's absence. Do not like the new art style at all. But of course that's not a deal breaker, just a disappointment.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:57 am Reply with quote
I never expected to see an adaptation of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. I'm happy it's here. I have the manga and always enjoyed it. Seeing so many people bashing the visuals in the reviews and the forum here has startled me because I have seen bad animation in older and recent shows and this(the first episode at least) is definitely not bad.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:16 am Reply with quote
The second episode of Isekai Ojisan was good but it seemed to me that some lack of clarity in the Netflix English translation resulted in some of the main jokes not getting across well.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Love Live Superstar Season 2
I don't envy people outside Japan waiting for NHK Jail period to elapse.

I won't spoil but will say this - Superstar is back with a bang and not lost any of its power. Of course the songs rock!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Know I'm super late to the party but My Isekai Life Ep1...No need for all that silly superfluous stuff like worldbuilding or protag backstory, just Circle-town and monster horde and enter the Protag...Mistaken for a lowly blah-blah he is secretly the total badass OP hero with cute focus character buddy slimes and a pet Wolffen. He just wipes all the monsters out and after a rest, moodily walks off into the night to save another Circle-town. I know all you nerds love this, so vote for it already...you know you want it...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
^
If MIL does make it, I imagine it will only be narrowly so.

I've seen the first two episodes of all six true isekai titles airing this season. Of those, Overlord is probably automatic, and Uncle from Another World and Parallel World Pharmacy also seem highly likely to make the cut; both offer interestingly different spins on standard isekai formula, Uncle has plenty of discussion-worthy content, and Pharmacy has a 4+ community score - and non-sequels rated that high almost always make it.

The remaining three - MIL, Black Summoner, and Harem - are the more generic genre representatives, and those often don't get voted in. MIL had the best reception in the PG (even though I don't think it's any less generic than the other two), so it probably has the best chance, but I'll be surprised if the other two make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15