• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The original bi]Bastard!![/b] OVAs were a mega-popular showing in convention viewing rooms back in the late '90s, so on several occasions I got to see the series in rooms packed with a couple of hundred people. To this day, I still think that's the best way to appreciate the franchise, and I can't think of any other anime screening I've ever attended which had such gloriously raucous audiences.

However, I can also see how this series isn't for everyone, and the reviewers' reactions to the first episode more or less confirm that. The whole thing essentially answers the question, "what would the spirit of '80s heavy metal look like if made into a fantasy anime?" It's sexy, violent, flashy, stupid, gloriously cheesy, and so loaded with '80s musical references that I hope whoever does review(s) of it does their research. The series has to be taken at face value, as it will falter if you try to analyze it at all, but it's still a lot of fun. Honestly, it reminds me most of the first couple of seasons of the Jojo franchise.

And fun fact about the English dub: one VA has had a major role in both this version and the original OVA series, though it was a different role in each case. (Wendee Lee is Arshes Nei in this version but was Yoko in the original; she fits much better in the former.) Not sure who's voicing Dark Schneider in the new version, though, since that role is curiously uncredited and I don't recognize it.

EDIT: On other fronts, Phantom of the Idol surprised me a bit. Curious to see reactions on that one, as I think it has the making of a sleeper hit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Alucard reminded me a bid of Dark Schneider when the Hellsing tv series came out, both are former villains who are semi-reluctantly fighting for humanity while talking trash the entire time. Watching people trying to analyze it with modern day sensibilities is funny but pointless.
Setis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:53 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Can't seem to pin down the English voice for Dark Schneider. Could be wrong but I'm fairly certain they didn't bring back Daran Norris for the role, even if it would be surreally wild to have Cosmo doing the voice again.

I'm 90% certain it's Kyle McCarley, since I basically just watched parts of Spriggan and Bastard!! back to back and it's the same voice. Definitely odd that it's uncredited though.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
If they're going to revive old 80's franchises I wish they would stop going halfway with modernizing it. Either embrace the 80's aesthetic body and soul, with an old school animation style and letting the story take place in the 80's, or modernize it completely by rewriting the story to suit modern tastes. Don't give us the incredibly dated story with cell phones jammed in, it just gives us the worst of both worlds.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:23 am Reply with quote
Phantom of the Idol had a great first episode. I really love Asahi as a character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
tywhoppity wrote:
As one who grew up in the 70s/80s, I can safely say that none of my peers or I drank Tab, just sayin'...... Laughing
That also cracked me up. One of the funnier demographic mismatches I've seen lumped together. I don't know what the metalheads were drinking since I didn't know any, but I'd guess they'd want Pepsi or Jolt Cola over their mom's Tab any day if the week.
1981 I was reading Heavy Metal Magazine and went to the primer of the animated show of the same name and I can tell you no one was drinking anything. They were smoking WEED... Mad
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
Lycoris Recoil: Definitely a follow. It's basically a spoiler[Minority Report/Judge Dredd-like dystopian future except with young girls in Japan]. I wonder what's Chisato's story here, why does she spoiler[refuse to kill people and what's her connection with the tower].
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
tywhoppity wrote:
As one who grew up in the 70s/80s, I can safely say that none of my peers or I drank Tab, just sayin'...... Laughing
That also cracked me up. One of the funnier demographic mismatches I've seen lumped together. I don't know what the metalheads were drinking since I didn't know any, but I'd guess they'd want Pepsi or Jolt Cola over their mom's Tab any day if the week.
1981 I was reading Heavy Metal Magazine and went to the primer of the animated show of the same name and I can tell you no one was drinking anything. They were smoking WEED... Mad

Y'all go ahead and keep trying to shame me for my humble fantasy of becoming a Tab guzzling arcade gremlin of the 1980s. I'll be over here dumping quarters into the Ghosts n' Goblins machine and getting high off of diet soda and room temperature cheese pizza, living my best life.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
^^^ you get yours.

The link for Lycoris Coil takes me to Rental Girlfriend, btw.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Engage Kiss is exactly the sort of fun I wanted and I can't wait to watch more.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
While I enjoyed the first few episodes of Ice Queendom, I definitely get everyone else's issues with it. Especially those who haven't watched the original RWBY. Ice Queendom is just not a good introduction to the franchise; the way it rushes through Volume 1, it pretty much relies on you having already watched it so you can fill in the gaps yourself and notice the changes they're making. Not that the original Volume 1 was much better, because good LORD it was pretty bad (thankfully RWBY gets much better from then on). But this bullet-points-style retelling isn't really an effective substitute for those who don't already know what it's all about.

Regardless, now that IQ's done recapping Volume 1, it's going to move into its original story. Will to be good? Hard to say with Tow Ubukata in the writing chair. But if nothing else, it's bound to be interesting.

I disagree, the anime tells you everything you need to know about this world and its characters. At the very least it tells you everything the main series told you at the start. There is no benefit to to having watched the main series beforehand other than having a better idea of how the characters and world will evolve over time.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be interesting to see what goes down with engage kiss. It has a very good pedegree, with the writer behind it also being the guy responsible for Saekano, White Album 2, and several other well regarded VNs. He excels at taking "standard generic mc" and creating some real good romance drama so I'm looking forward to what we get
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question for everyone and I don't know if I'll get an answer to it but I have to ask. What is a lycoris? It sounds like something from out of a sci-fi or fantasy show. I hope someone tells me. I'd love to know.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
So is shot goal a good candidate for so bad its good viewing?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Bastard's appeal comes from Schneider being an absolute overpowered asshole with a nice side deeeeeeeeeeep down.

Essentially, he is Hajime no Ippo's Takamura but with magic powers.

If you are not into seeing said overpowered asshole being an overpowered asshole then there is not much to watch outside of the ecchi stuff quite frankly.

Though I remember one chapter that broke the 4th wall where Schneider complains at parents calling Shounen Jump to complain at one scene where he apparently gave a woman an orgasm, they added an scene with him making her scream by biting her ear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15