• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Heibi wrote:

I don't "hate" CG animation. Don't put words in my "post".

It’s weird you ask this when I not only didn’t do that but you’re doing the exact thing you’re telling me not to do. When I said “you have a few traditionalists that hate CG anime”. That wasn’t referring to you specifically.

Heibi wrote:
The problem is when they alter to where the animation style starts to lose resemblance to the original too much.

You mean the art direction/character design? Cause that’s not the same thing as animation

Given the rampant criticism of Vash’s design and how it people have bemoaning how it doesn’t look exactly like Nighttow’s original design I’m going to assume that’s what you mean.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:55 am Reply with quote
God, I hope Orange gets to make more Land of the Lustrous. That's one of the few series where it's clear that doing it in CG was absolutely essential. And they knocked it out the park. Beastars probably didn't, but they still went hard on that. Shame the story itself cut its own throat in the second season; Orange's animation was still top notch throughout.

Trigun, however...I'll reserve judgment until I see it, because I know they do excellent work. But you'll have a very hard time convincing me that that that series, a masterwork of hand animation in its original form, needed to go full CG for its return. So, if turns out disappointing, it's going to be a real shame that the team wasn't instead working on more LotL which can only be done by Studio Orange. And we've been sitting on a big cliffhanger for 5 years now.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:
a masterwork of hand animation in its original form

Trigun...? Very Happy Oh boy. As often as I see this claim, I'm more and more convinced that some people clearly have their nostalgia goggles painted pink and welded firmly on their heads, impossible to remove. Because, er.

Look, I love the first Trigun anime. I like it even more than the manga. I'd even say it's fairly close to being a masterpiece. But "masterwork of hand animation" it is not, not by far. Sure, it has its fleeting moments of greatness, but even for 1998 the animation on the whole is "decent-to-average" at best and "was this animated by a single person overnight?" at worst. (It's more or less on the level of Utena, except Utena had its stylish visual flair to make up for what it lacked in animation, Trigun didn't.) I think people who tout the 1998 Trigun anime as having amazing animation should really stop relying on nostalgia and rewatch a few episodes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3