• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Nozomi Ent. to Release Macross 7 on Home Video in N. America for 1st Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:48 am Reply with quote
So, now that M7 is resolved, Candy Candy, Heidi, Anne, and Lensman should be a snap, right, Discotek and/or Gkids?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:48 am Reply with quote
So that's basically all of Macross 7, except for the "movie" episode, and the Macross Dynamite 7 spin-off?
It's great to be getting so much Macross, but there's still a little bit of disappointment that it's not quite complete.
The "movie" (only 32min., so it's more accurate to call it an extra episode) had a great theme song (and some Jenius family background), and the Dynamite 7 series (starring only Basara and a Mylene lookalike, so it's not really part of the main Macross 7 series) showed the first of Macross's South-East Asia/Pacific-inspired settings that would show up again in Zero, Frontier and Delta.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:41 am Reply with quote
I’m guessing they’re treating OVAs and movies differently from the series since we have yet to see any announcements for Macross Zero, Dynamite 7, and the two Frontier movies. I think Macross Plus and Macross II had the advantage of being previously released domestically for them to be part of this round of announcements.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote
The problem with Macross 7 is that it's the de-facto worst trash in the Macross franchise. Really-it's total shit, Frontier leaves 7 so far behind it isn't even funny. I'd rate 7 at 2 and Frontier 9 on a 1-10 scale.
norbjunior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:26 am Reply with quote
Gigile spoiler[singing Come on People] is maybe one of my favorite things in all of anime.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
The problem with Macross 7 is that it's the de-facto worst trash in the Macross franchise. Really-it's total shit, Frontier leaves 7 so far behind it isn't even funny. I'd rate 7 at 2 and Frontier 9 on a 1-10 scale.

I know quite a few people that would disagree with and think that Delta is the worst of the franchise. I, personally, would consider Macross II to be the worst, which is a shame because I thought it started out good.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
But the industry experts inhabiting forums told me the music rights cost 5 billion dollars and so could never be licensed (source: some random guy at a convention 15 years ago)

Maybe now years later the artists are willing to take 'anything' rather than 'nothing'

Exactly, just because something isn't true now, it doesn't mean it wasn't true in the past. Like with Kodocha, the rights for the 1st OP were unaffordable when Funi licensed the show, but were manageable for Discotek, IIRC because the founder of Johnny's had died in the interim, and he was the main obstacle.

Also, it wasn't just random dudes on forums making those statements:

https://animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2001-05-08
Quote:
In addition, almost every anime company has said that the Macross 7 music rights are very expensive.

https://animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2005-11-10
Quote:
Likewise, one of the reasons Macross 7 - the "comedy" Macross series about a maverick rock band - will probably never be licensed is because the show's numerous rock songs are owned by so many different companies that the music rights would make the show's licensing cost go through the roof.

https://animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2008-10-31
Quote:
There were only two series produced in between Macross Plus and Macross Frontier - the first being Macross 7, which was never licensed chiefly because of the music licensing rights being a labyrinth of legal horrors

https://animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2009-12-04
Quote:
To begin with, it's a very, very expensive show to license. Mainly because of the excess of catchy J-Pop tunes that are littered throughout each episode. The rights to license the music alone would be more expensive than your average, run-of-the-mill moe-fest anime series. Not to mention that the last Macross series that achieved any sort of success in the US was, what Macross Plus? And that was over a decade ago. ADV apparently didn't do so well with their big re-mastered, re-dub of the original series. Basically, there are a ton of reasons why we're unlikely to see Macross Frontier in the US any time soon. Or Macross 7. Or Macross Zero. Or even the terrific Macross: Do You Remember Love? movie. The fans want all this Macross stuff, but it's exorbitantly expensive and dealing with Harmony Gold is a bitch and the sales at the end of the day are rather mediocre.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
It also wasn't just people making statements -- there's plenty of Japanese media that was only ever partially localized due to the costs of licensing music. The Gundam stuff comes to mind most readily for me: all of the PS2 and PS3 games that were localized had the anime music removed; when Zeta Gunda, was localized they had to redo the OP using an unrelated instrumental track.

Beltane70 wrote:
zrdb wrote:

I know quite a few people that would disagree with and think that Delta is the worst of the franchise. I, personally, would consider Macross II to be the worst, which is a shame because I thought it started out good.

I honestly don't think any of the Macross series/movies are actually bad. I mean, I don't like all of them, but I'm not gonna go around saying Macross Plus is trash just because it ain't my cup of tea.

Macross Seven is definitely among my favorites, though, so I'm ecstatic at this news.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Exactly, just because something isn't true now, it doesn't mean it wasn't true in the past. Like with Kodocha, the rights for the 1st OP were unaffordable when Funi licensed the show, but were manageable for Discotek, IIRC because the founder of Johnny's had died in the interim, and he was the main obstacle.

I know ANN has a horse in the race of spreading misinformation based on hearsay, but no, there's absolutely no basis for thinking this. You have nothing concrete that suggests it "was true in the past", everything you pointed to was just people echoing sentiments said at an anime convention one time with nothing substantial to actually back it up. Whereas this tells us plain as day that the boogeyman of music rights was nonsense (and that the obvious hinderance of Harmony Gold with the franchise as a whole was it - who could have possibly guessed, besides multiple Macross fans with sense?)

Not that it needed more confirmation, since people who would actually know further squashed the rumor like 4 days ago in an interview.

Last edited by JoelBurger on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
It also wasn't just people making statements -- there's plenty of Japanese media that was only ever partially localized due to the costs of licensing music. The Gundam stuff comes to mind most readily for me: all of the PS2 and PS3 games that were localized had the anime music removed; when Zeta Gunda, was localized they had to redo the OP using an unrelated instrumental track.

The two OPs for Zeta Gundam were victims of the fact that the music for the two songs was written by a very famous American singer/songwriter, Neil Sedaka and I can only speculate that his licensing agreement didn't allow them to release those versions outside Japan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Joel: Keith from Manga brought up the music rights issue. So it was probably true, because he had skin in the Macross game at one point. As for Zeta, it's probably as expensive as Fly Me to the Moon.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Joel: Keith from Manga brought up the music rights issue. So it was probably true, because he had skin in the Macross game at one point. As for Zeta, it's probably as expensive as Fly Me to the Moon.

Yeah that's why it's so weird seing people going how it was some shit fans made up. They didn't, it came from official reps from distributors we were actually releasing Macross stuff in the west and flat out said they were interested in Macross 7 but it was too costly.

And the the IP got blocked outside of Japan because of HG and it didn't matter anymore.

That the situation changed doens't mean this was lie 20+ years ago

-Sergorn
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

To add to this example, the Johnny's songs in InuYasha are included in the Viz & Anime Limited English Blu-ray sets but aren't in the Selecta Vision Spanish sets because those came out while he was still alive.

Captain Tsubasa 2018 just started streaming by Viz in Japanese (along with English & Spanish) and it was believed that he was the reason the show didn't in the beginning because it had songs by his Johnny's West band and the last time an anime had their involvement, Monster Hunter Stories' second half was blocked from streaming and Funimation never did go back to it leaving that dub and video release incomplete.

If Funiroll ever releases One Piece on Blu-ray from the beginning, they should be able to clear the one Tackey & Tsubasa ending song that was missing from the season 4 DVDs that came out in 2012 and again in 2014.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

I know ANN has a horse in the race of spreading misinformation based on hearsay, but no, there's absolutely no basis for thinking this.

"Every industry rep is a liar, and Zac was a fake news purveyor" is certainly quite the take. Plenty of other things have been announced at conventions, like new anime projects and licenses -- is that all fabrications as well?

Quote:
Whereas this tells us plain as day that the boogeyman of music rights was nonsense (and that the obvious hindrance of Harmony Gold with the franchise as a whole was it

These are not mutually-exclusive problems.

Quote:
Not that it needed more confirmation, since people who would actually know further squashed the rumor like 4 days ago in an interview.

Which you're conveniently not linking to. If you're not going to believe people in the industry, why should we believe you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2