• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Trailer Highlights Stern Ritter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:05 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Lets go! Sui Feng clothes are uncensored as expected from the 1st PV. And best girl Bambi looks so good. Cant wait. Also, Sagisu is killing as usual.

Quote:
Kubo also acknowledged that the anime thus far has omitted some scenes from the manga, but he wants to add them back in if possible.

Please don't let it be the scene that I'm thinking. I was waiting for the BD for this reason in hopes that they show it.

GOD OF THUNDER COME HOME
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
Still praying that Kubo has the sense enough to retcon that disaster of a manga ending. Bleach deserved better than...whatever THAT was.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:10 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I really, rally, really hope they change NOTHING.

One of my favorites things ever 9 years ago was to make fun of this train wreck each week, I wanna do it again.

Specialty the spoiler[unnecessary transphobic joke, I wanna see twitter melt].

Context and explanation of said joke, please.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

One of my favorites things ever 9 years ago was to make fun of this train wreck each week, I wanna do it again.

spoiler[https://imgur.com/a/XuloAXX]

She is, in fact, female.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:21 am Reply with quote
[quote="AksaraKishou"]
Kadmos1 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

spoiler[https://imgur.com/a/XuloAXX]

Giselle is spoiler[Male]

Also, i said "Fan TL" just to say it might have been fan memery, but i went and checked and they use Kubo uses 精液 aka Semen.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:35 am Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed by this arc in the manga BUT I heard Kubo is changing and adding things to make it better and more align with what he envisioned. Hopefully, that means giving a better ending that wasn't the rushed AXED ending of the manga.

spoiler[Also, I remembered a panel showing Espada 3 in chains and that amounted to nothing! Hope they bring her back into the plot properly]
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
I'm so looking forward to this and having Kubo involved is really exciting, I know he wants this to be good more than anyone else does. The visuals and music are brilliant, I really can't wait for October.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:08 am Reply with quote
Man the hype is truly real! I cannot wait! But I am also hoping the arc does not become too much of a convoluted mess!
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:16 am Reply with quote
Omg, I am so excited for this. The visuals look great and I can't wait to see Bleach back in action once again after so many years. I am one of the biggest fans and this is some great news
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
The preview looks pretty good, I'm not the biggest Blrach fan in the world but I saw plenty of episodes when it aired in Animax here in Latin America, but sadly that dub only reached episode 229, so there's 137 episodes left. There's some rumors that those missing episodes are getting dubbed to coincide with the new season, just hope that they managed to keep the original voices, though sadly characters like Kon and Kenpachi will need new voices since their original actors passed away.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Dude I like chaos just as much as the next guy but this definitely ain’t something to flex about.

3ngag3 wrote:
Still praying that Kubo has the sense enough to retcon that disaster of a manga ending. Bleach deserved better than...whatever THAT was.

Considering how divisive the later half of Huecdo Mundo was and how almost no one liked the Fullbring arc are you sure?
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:00 am Reply with quote
Well, this sure shuts up the people coming around in these threads about Bleach saying that it wasn't axed and that the manga played out exactly how Kubo wanted (which was obviously bs, anyone could tell it got rushed to an end considering the pacing of the last 5 chapters compared to the rest of the entire manga).

Now that he says that there will be the scenes and battles he WANTED to be in the manga during the final arc, it really makes no room for further discussion that the manga was axed to an end.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Dude I like chaos just as much as the next guy but this definitely ain’t something to flex about.

3ngag3 wrote:

Considering how divisive the later half of Huecdo Mundo was and how almost no one liked the Fullbring arc are you sure?

Iirc in a tankobon, Kubo stated that he was unsatisfied with how Jump obliged him to extend next to DOUBLE THE LENGTH the Hueco Mundo arc, which is why it probably felt overdone by the end (there was a lot of speculation at that period that he may have been fighting some of the editorial decisions, since it wasn't the first time he complained that something didn't go his way in the manga, some remarks from him in the author commentary section of the magazine implied as much anyway).

Jump was notoriously controversial for their magazine policies with editorial decisions even during the Toriyama era (another person that basically had to include another arc in the story that wasn't even supposed to exist and complained about it), albeit they seem to have gotten better lately. Heck, sometimes they asked authors to completely shift their gag-manga into a battle manga (Tar-chan and Reborn come to mind, the former for the worst, the latter for the better, at least in my opinion).

But for Bleach it wasn't really that bad, just in the anime, since they had to pad the crap out of the several action heavy chapters going on, which made the pacing feel glacial in the manga already (unless you were reading per volume, in that case it was more of an One Punch Man and I am a Hero situation), much much worse in the adaptation.

The reason why the second half was poorly received was on the anime end, as it became insufferable (flashbacks to attacks that happened 2 minutes before in the same episode, even), and thus why the viewership tanked hard. On the manga end it was as popular as ever in the rankings of the magazine AND the sales.

With the anime tanking, and the Fullbring arc being a slow transition arc (that was equally as padded, aka extra slow), the popularity started to go down further because of it as well, even in the manga (even because it felt like an overly long epilogue with lesser stakes following the Aizen stuff). The anime got cancelled shortly after, even because they once again had almost caught up with the manga at that point (which took a month hiatus just before the final arc).

The damage was already done by the time the final arc started, but the sales were still very high even if its weekly presence in the rankings wasn't the best (it was still by a long shot at the time one of Jump's highest sellers). You can take a look at Oricon's listings in this very site, if you want to double check all that.

SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:39 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Well, this sure shuts up the people coming around in these threads about Bleach saying that it wasn't axed and that the manga played out exactly how Kubo wanted (which was obviously bs, anyone could tell it got rushed to an end considering the pacing of the last 5 chapters compared to the rest of the entire manga).

Now that he says that there will be the scenes and battles he WANTED to be in the manga during the final arc, it really makes no room for further discussion that the manga was axed to an end.

I don't think anyone sane is arguing that the manga wasn't axed, it very obviously was. People are saying - at least the ones I've seen - is that even with that, the story ended up where Kubo wanted it to end, that is, the ending is not null and void just because it was a rushed conclusion, relationships weren't supposed to turn out differently, etc. Knowing Kubo, obviously he planned to go on for like ten more years giving five more level-ups to each character and give everyone ten more one-on-one battles, and introduce a whole new set of characters nobody's heard of before, and hey, maybe he planned on doing some character scenes too that he ended up having to cut because the publisher said "hey, when we said 'end the manga by this time' we actually meant it".

Edit: by the way, upon closer reading, it appears Kubo didn't say there was stuff cut from the manga that he wanted to include but couldn't, but that there are manga scenes that were cut from the anime.
Quote:
Kubo also acknowledged that the anime thus far has omitted some scenes from the manga, but he wants to add them back in if possible.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kubo recorded a video message for fans at the panel, in which he said fans can expect modern contemporary coloring

That's good. The old show always had a washed out look to it. I'm glad they aren't bringing that back. It reminds me of how the third movie looked, which was super crisp modern. Boruto retained the washer out look of the old show and I think that was a major mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3