• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Stampede Anime Reveals Trailer, Cast, Staff, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:09 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wow. Remember Berserk 2016? It's back! In Trigun form!

I don't agree with your comment but I really appreciate the Simpsons reference.
Jindujun93

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:
If this does well I'm sure we'll get a proper manga adaptation.

Unfortunately, both the original anime and the movie were absolute commercial disasters in Japan, so I doubt this project here will fare much better. The US audience can only carry you so far, and part of the established fanbase has already been alienated by this here as is.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:24 am Reply with quote
Times have definitely changed. If Tsutomu Nihei adaptations can break through the niche barrier and prove to be successes I wouldn't be surprised if this series became a hit.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:34 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wow. Remember Berserk 2016? It's back! In Trigun form!

I know people don’t like CG for valid and non valid reasons but really.

Jindujun93 wrote:
So not only does this look genuinely awful, but it apparently won't even be an actual remake to cover the Trigun Maximum manga like what was actually needed. Remind me again, what justification does this have to actually exist? Because I'm not seeing one.

A new retelling of the story like what anime company’s do every so often with an established IP?

Plus if I’m being honest they can do better than Maximum’s story anyway.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:33 am Reply with quote
I don't want to be all... y'know what, I'm absolutely fine being all "I told you" re: this not being a direct manga adaptation but more like an original story inspired by the manga. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (That they pretty much made obvious when they said it would be an "original work" so I'm not sure why people were expecting something else.) That said, I'm sure they'll incorporate story elements from the manga, and I'd bet a large sum of money on Wolfwood et al being in the show, I'm sure they wouldn't leave out fan favorites.

Anyway, I'm just kind of shaking my head at people being all "bleh this looks godawful" - WHERE? No, seriously, I understand personal taste and whatnot, I'm not a fan of full CG myself, but in what universe does is this anywhere near "godawful" let alone Berserk 2016 levels of crap? This trailer looks perfectly fine, and if the rest of the show is like this I don't think anyone will have any right to call it bad-looking. I'm not saying it's my cup of tea - but also I'm not saying it looks like crap just because it's full CGI.

Jindujun93 wrote:
So not only does this look genuinely awful, but it apparently won't even be an actual remake to cover the Trigun Maximum manga like what was actually needed. Remind me again, what justification does this have to actually exist? Because I'm not seeing one.

Money, dear boy. It's the justification for aaalll the remakes/reboots we've been getting lately, most recently FLCL, Spriggan, Bastard... and so on. In case you haven't noticed we've been riding a nostalgia wave for the past how many years, where 1. properties, especially those that were popular in the US in the '90s and early '00s get resurrected in hopes that fans will flock to them for nostalgia value; and 2. original works get made that seem to target North American audiences and feel like they time-traveled here from the '90s and early '00s, or at least were created following a checklist assembled by some American guy who hasn't watched anime since 2010 (see: many recent PAW originals).

Also I maintain my opinion that Trigun Maximum doesn't "need" an anime adaptation, the old anime worked perfectly well in getting the characters and the overall message across, and anyone who wants more can just go and read the manga, it's perfectly enjoyable without being animated. So if a new anime comes along and decides to do something on its own that is not a direct manga adaptation, that's absolutely fine by me. As long as it's committed to being a good show and to convey the spirit of the source material.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:53 am Reply with quote
I kinda like this 3D style
Artemis X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:39 am Reply with quote
Wtf is wrong with this new wave, why can't we just get a regular anime adaptation. I am so sick of them taking such amazing works of art like Berserk, Bastard and now Trigun and destroying it with this CGI crap and characters that look like they are from a J-pop band.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:45 am Reply with quote
Were Vash's glasses always that big? That's actually bothering me more than the boy band hair.

Also, y'all need to get over your biases towards CG in anime or at the very least stop acting like every single show is on the same level as Berserk '16. But hey, at least there haven't been any comparisons to EX-ARM, and that we can be thankful for.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:56 am Reply with quote
I admit I'm not a CGI fan and this is going to take some getting used to. I don't really like a pretty Vash either but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. As for VAs, if they don't bring back Johnny for Vash then I'll just leave it alone altogether.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:06 am Reply with quote
Berserk 2016 wasn't even as awful as people make it out to be. Most people just like to parrot and meme on it but they probably haven't even seen it. Yeah it was a step down from the og series and the movies but considering the budget and studio they did a decent job. The writing/voice acting/ and ost carried it and made it watchable.

I wonder how long it will take for people to stop being such boomers about CGI anime in general. As a fan of animation, it is cool to see different styles and techniques used to push the medium further. CG can exist alongside 2D animation. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and both are valid art forms. While I prefer traditional 2D animation, I have enjoyed some recent CGI series like Dorohedoro, Beastars, and Knights of Sidonia. I feel bad for people who miss out on quality shows because of their petty biases and hate.
Zoberflote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:40 am Reply with quote
While I don't feel this is on the same level as Berserk 2016, it still carries the same feeling of missing a tremendous opportunity, if by a slightly smaller margin.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
I don't mind the CG, but the biggest issue is the complete removal of Nightow's character designs. Even the most diehard fans admit Trigun is more a style over substance type of series, with those original character designs being the biggest selling point. Putting Vash in a fleece zip hoodie, oversized nerd glasses, and mop top hair makes him a very different character.

I still want to check it out, hopefully this really is just a prequel thing about a younger Vash that eventually gets his real look, but it is sorely missing the style that drew me to the series in the first place.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
This.... looks absolutely terrible. I can almost hear the "clang". My hopes for this are dashed. It will probably be animated at 5 fps. Total downer. Vash looks like a damn kpop star. Terrible.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
The CG doesn't look as good as I thought it would look because it is orange studio. I have doubts about this adaptation, but I want to be optimistic.
vampiyan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:30 am Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:
I wonder how long it will take for people to stop being such boomers about CGI anime in general.

American animation fans were intiially hostile towards CG as well. All throughout the 2000s there were lots of complaints and hatred for the shift away from 2D to 3D. What changed wasn't a sudden increase in quality of CG projects, but the slow realization after repeated beatdowns that this was the future whether they liked it or not. All future animated movies were going to be CG: 2D was dead. You either learn to cope and accept it or you stop being an animation fan. Unless anime ever gets to the point where everything is CG and it becomes an absolute ultimatum situation, it'll never get to that point of acceptance. Dozens of anime come out every season. There's no need for people to grit their teeth and accept works like Knights of Sidonia as the new normal. They just watch one of the other dozens of 2D animated shows like Spy x Family.

I think what hurts people the most is when it's their show that gets singled out. Trigun fans being devastated is understandable. They'll no doubt look over at other remakes and sequels like Shaman King, Fruits Basket and Tokyo Mew Mew and wonder why they couldn't get a normal modern remake like those. It's the very fact the industry isn't in an animation age ghetto where everything is CG and the Future is Now that it hurts. For some reason the one show they were looking forward to was chosen as the proverbial sacrifice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5