• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lycoris Recoil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Chisato may use rubber bullets to avoid killing, but a few point blank shots to the gut could still be pretty harmful, if not deadly. Maybe she should start working on her aim? Laughing

They don't appear to be rubber exactly - they're like some sort of compressed powder? Or a paintball type deal? (Well really they're Anime-magic, since they can pierce car doors but not flesh, and new feature this week: airburst near a target.)

Other random thoughts while I'm here, since I sidetracked myself into philosophy last time:

How does Mr Greenhair know where the hit is going to take place? Clearly the whole deal is a setup to draw out the DA, but still, he has precision information on where they would act. If you're ok with getting a shoolgirl to just shoot someone in the back of the head in the middle of the street, you've probably got a lot of spots you could have picked, and he seems he knew which one they would go for.

How exactly does the DA's predictive AI thingamy work such that it predicted the fake deal, but not the very real assassination? Is that all the legacy of Kurumi's hack? (Speaking of which, presumably Takina doesn't currently know that the hack that precipitated her expulsion from the DA was Kurumi? And while I'm on a tangent... there's a whole other path the show could have taken exploring the dangers of relying on predictive algorithms for this sort of thing)

Does Shinji now have a back door? Or is it a more traditional human intelligence job, with Alan Institute insiders in the DA? (It's implied, I think, that Mika was associated with them at the time he was an instructor for example?)
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Thesarum wrote:
I suspect we won't interrogate the "secret quasi-governmental death squad" thing all that much. Instead, we'll be asked to be sympathetic as a clear monster sets out on a campaign of targeted serial murder of the Lycoris girls. It'll presumably hit at least Takina very hard when they find out.
It's no From the New World, but to the extent I care, I definitely am rooting for the "villains" here. I hope that doesn't put me so far outside the expected outlook the show is expecting to make the show unenjoyable.

By villains I'm sure your not talking about the cabbage patch terrorist guy who not only smuggled a bunch of weapons in the country but was going to slaughter a bunch of civilians and Lycoris to tear down the fake peace for his own self-satisfcation. The police state the Japan has become is terrible but you can at least argue that it is ultimately preserving some semblance of peace. The terrorist group otherhand just seems want to go against it so anarchy and death can rampart under the guise of freedom or whatever.

I wouldn't surprise if a lot of people in that group is made up people related to the victims of the DA heavy-handed approach but they also like people to sacrifice a bunch of unrelated people for their ideal. There needs to a better way to challenge the things that end up in mass-slaughter for a psychopath.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't surprise if a lot of people in that group is made up people related to the victims of the DA heavy-handed approach but they also like people to sacrifice a bunch of unrelated people for their ideal.

Just like the DA. I mean, they don't show it, but presumably, they're not just killing murderers and terrorists, but also much more minor criminals and also anyone who dares interfere with their methods (they did, after all, order the death of Walnut, and it's assumed they would have killed the kidnappers if they got their hands on them). The goal isn't saving lives, it's preserving an illusion of order and peace.

I'm not making a moral equivalence argument, so much as saying that, in the fictional framing the show has which seems to ask me to think there's something good about the DA, I'm happy to see someone with the ability to strike back against them. Hence the comparison to From the New World (which at least was willing to acknowledge the horror of what their society was doing, which this show just sort of waves away as "yeah, I guess that's ONE way to do things").
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't surprise if a lot of people in that group is made up people related to the victims of the DA heavy-handed approach but they also like people to sacrifice a bunch of unrelated people for their ideal.

Just like the DA. I mean, they don't show it, but presumably, they're not just killing murderers and terrorists, but also much more minor criminals and also anyone who dares interfere with their methods (they did, after all, order the death of Walnut, and it's assumed they would have killed the kidnappers if they got their hands on them). The goal isn't saving lives, it's preserving an illusion of order and peace.

I'm not making a moral equivalence argument, so much as saying that, in the fictional framing the show has which seems to ask me to think there's something good about the DA, I'm happy to see someone with the ability to strike back against them. Hence the comparison to From the New World (which at least was willing to acknowledge the horror of what their society was doing, which this show just sort of waves away as "yeah, I guess that's ONE way to do things").

The issue we don't know if it is even that extreme yet. In the opening had Lycoris taking out people were attempting murder some people, smuggling bombs in planned raids etc. So supposed the terrorists get their way then what? Everything is fine? No more things like saw in first episode happen or will they be even more common but with no there no one to stop casualties? Their leader aside are rest of those people prepare to grapple with scenario and take responsibility for what comes next or is this just a grievance group who in denial what their relatives did or tried to do so they got manipulated by who just wants to see the world burn?

The terrorists just look like the extreme opposite of the DA but are only operating without any real solutions to problems that remain so far. DA methods and training of kids to be assassins is way too much but seeing what terrorist like cabbage are going for, their don't come across much better. Honestly I don't think the show is expecting us to root for anyone other Chisato's group who present to closest to ideal solution to dealing with crime. The question is how far the whole not taking a life thing is going to go.

All in all I think the DA should be abolished, but terrorism isn't the way to go about at least not ones that put ordinary people in the crosshairs.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
I think it's too early to tell where this series is going with its setup (though, if it's planned as a 12-episode series they're running out of time for any real surprises (barring a last-episode cliff-hanger reveal, I suppose)).

I wonder how some of this is playing out to its Japanese audience.

It's been 27 yeas, but a terrorist incident in a subway probably carries reminders of the Sarin Gas incident carried out by Aum Shinrikyo (which continues to echo --- many of the perpetrators were executed in 2018).
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

It's not exactly clear what the threshold for the DA's intervention is. There's clearly still a policeforce (with detectives even, it's not just a bunch of those guys who stand at junctions with the white gloves), so there must be something for them to be doing. The DA is presumably not getting involved in petty crime. Agreed on their goal fundamentally being about the preservation of an illusion though. They justify it to themselves differently, but any peace that must be maintained by the covert application of such a significant amount lethal force is a lie.

Iron Maw wrote:
Honestly I don't think the show is expecting us to root for anyone other Chisato's group

Agreed up to a point. LycoReco is clearly our (the audience's) team here. But I think we're supposed to be sympathetic towards the Lycoris girls if not the DA. They're largely presented as an allied team (Chisato remains supportive of Takina's desire to return for example). Rivals not enemies.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:

It's not exactly clear what the threshold for the DA's intervention is. There's clearly still a policeforce (with detectives even, it's not just a bunch of those guys who stand at junctions with the white gloves), so there must be something for them to be doing. The DA is presumably not getting involved in petty crime. Agreed on their goal fundamentally being about the preservation of an illusion though. They justify it to themselves differently, but any peace that must be maintained by the covert application of such a significant amount lethal force is a lie.

If the Lyco girls at the DA turn out to be the equivalent of SWAT, who are only called in to specific highly dangerous situations then it look less bad on the policing front. However its morally reprehensible org for using orphans to do the dirty work, hiding that fact from the public who are unknowing financing that and then lying about crime being not existent. As Chisato implies its not that its disappeared, the media simply just doesn't report on it and more serious incident are taken down quietly and covered up.

But honestly like I don't expect the show dive all much that deeply into its setting. It simply not focus the as much it is the window dressing for the buddy-cop/CGDCT/action flick narrative and I'm fine with even if I would like to be something more. I expect a touches and nods toward the aspect of its worldview but not much beyond that. Anyhow its entertaining anyway.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 has cemented this series for me. I'm really not the biggest fan of Yuri, or even Yuri-lite which this series seems to be when it comes to our couple. But boyo, I'm soooo rooting for them. They are so cute together my teeth hurt from the sweet and goofiness. And what I've gathered from this particular episode it kinda reminds me of the Lupin franchise where the villains' can be comedic and serious to a point. I'm loving the Hacker and the main villain, who's name escapes me, is a pip. I'm really looking forward to more of those two and I hope as mentioned in Chris's previous reviews things don't get WAY too serious. Keeping it Keystone-copish is what I'm hoping it sustains. Back to Chisato and Takina.... Love them!!!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who thinks Chisato is still a "Mary Sue" or overpowered or what ever, episode 6 should put that to rest. That moment of Takina finally scoring a win against her was too adorable!

But yeah, I have to agree with the reviewer for this episode was pretty messy with how they handled Majima and that hacker and especially Kurumi's exploits. You'd think what she did would have more significance, but nope! I really, REALLY hope this will be the only off episode, and they get it back right on track. It's going to be supremely awkward to see an original show that's getting a ton of fanart and praise suddenly collapse itself if the show gets worse.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The hacker and Joker wannabe are interesting enough, but in small doses. Way too much of them this episode. I'm also rooting for Chisato and Takina to fill the yuri need in each other's lives and was disappointed we didn't get more domestic comedy hijinks. Moving in together was the perfect set-up and I could have honestly watched a whole episode of that.

Also, Takina and the others seem to forgive Walnut wayyyy too quickly and easily for my liking at the end, even adorable as she is (and whose multi-decade existence as a hacker is another story element not yet touched upon...)
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
You'd think what she did would have more significance, but nope!

Akcoll99 wrote:
Also, Takina and the others seem to forgive Walnut wayyyy too quickly and easily for my liking at the end

Agreed, though perhaps this is just the start of the fallout from that revelation. I think maybe they just tried to cover too much ground with this episode. We got a whole bunch of Plot and worldbuilding dumped on us here.

That said, Mizuki doesn't really appear to have forgiven her, Mika is hard to read, he's pretty hands off on this stuff and it's hard to figure out exactly what his objectives are here. And that attitude is entirely in-character for Chisato. So the only person you might have expected more of a reaction from is Takina.

I think this episode does well to highlight her character arc so far, and the influence Chisato is having on her. She's clearly very concerned for Chisato's safety throughout, not the cold-verging-on-antagonistic relationship from the start (though she does still try to hide it behind her business face). When she comes to her rescue she honors Chisato's wish to fight non-lethally despite the seriousness of the situation and her earlier reservations. Her willingness to move on from the hacking incident is another element of that same influence and growth.

(Chisato by contrast is pretty much a fixed point. Admittedly she had a much stronger sense of self, her goals and philosophy right from the start, but it'd be nice to see some sort of development. We've learned more, but she hasn't really changed. Perhaps we'll get that in the back half with the revelations yet to come)

I am slightly surprised nobody asked Kurumi who the client was though. "I had no other choice if I wanted to approach that particular client" implies that she knows who did organize the weapons deal, order the hack, and probably is responsible for everything since. (and the conversation between "Walnut" and Shinji in the car in the first episode of course confirms that, though obviously the LycoReco crew don't know about it). She's might not know exactly what's going on here, but she's got a bunch of important puzzle pieces she's not shared yet.

And given Shinji clearly ordered the hit on Chisato following last episodes disappointment, that's probably going to prove important. Not that Shinji could necessarily call Majima off now even if he wanted to.

Other thoughts:
Chisato lives in a literal secret base down a ladder hidden behind a secret wall panel! Because of course she does.

Chisato really has no idea why someone might target Lycoris? Another example of "naïve or willful blindness?" for her really. How is a valid question at that point, but there are half a dosen easily imaginable theories about why someone might want to take out a group of covert assassins.

Yes, there probably was too much Robota being an idiot.

The hold music for Shinji's assistant is the bridal chorus? That's not exactly... subtle.

Does Shinji really expect Majima to be able to take out Chisato? Or is this just another ploy to get her to resort to lethal force? (It's highlighly unlikely that getting shot by those red bullets and a friendly talking to is going to make him see the error of his ways and make him back off)

Takina's reaction to winning at rock-paper-scissors is beyond adorable. And the voice work from both our leads has been stellar all season. I love those little happy squeaks.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:

Takina's reaction to winning at rock-paper-scissors is beyond adorable. And the voice work from both our leads has been stellar all season. I love those little happy squeaks.

Well, yes, but Takina staying at Chisato's place was predicated on Chisato winning the rock-paper-scissors. (Not that I expect Takina to stick to that.)

I'm wondering if there was any sign of Chisato's lower-floor safe-house in the first episode (but I haven't gone back to look).
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Well, yes, but Takina staying at Chisato's place was predicated on Chisato winning the rock-paper-scissors. (Not that I expect Takina to stick to that.)

I'm wondering if there was any sign of Chisato's lower-floor safe-house in the first episode (but I haven't gone back to look).

The threat has hardly lessened. If anything, it's significantly higher now than when Takina first offered to (insisted on) move in, as they know Majima is directly targeting Chisato. They don't know why, but they know its happening. I expect Takina to extract further concessions from Chisato, but probably maintain her close protection detail.

I think we've seen the safehouse a couple of times, but I don't recall anything that would have given away its nature. Both the dummy and real flats are above ground (they're on the 3rd and 4th floors or something like that), so unless we saw that behind the front door was a ladder and not a corridor, there isn't much to go on. That said, this show loves its easter eggs, so there might have been something somewhere to foreshadow the reveal. I missed it if there was.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is this show starting to get a real Trigun vibe? Chisato is a whimsical gunslinger with a strict no-kill policy who wears red.

If the parallel continues then spoiler[Chisato will refuse to kill Jin with terrible consequences that will cause her to break her vow.]
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
also if you'd told me a few weeks ago that Lycoris Recoil would have canon gay adult men in it before either of the teenaged female leads confessed their feelings for each other, I'd have questioned if we were watching the same show.

Eh, this seems exactly like the type of show that would tease with ambiguous subtext of the protagonists for people who want it (that can be completely and justifiably denied as "they're just friends" by people who don't), so having canonical male adult gay characters or literally anything else before the teenaged female leads make a confession seems like exactly what you should expect.

The teenaged female lead bisexual or lesbian subtext smells extremely of fan service for the male gaze, as evidenced by how the manga adaptation is going to appear in a seinen magazine.

(See also Rakugo Shinju, for example, where canonically no one is gay despite many fans seeing subtext.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11