• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
**me, just five minutes away from watching episode 5**
Damn, Nick, couldn't you have made the excerpt for this week's review a little less spoileriffic?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess I see where Yuuhi was coming from with this being the end of the beginning where one of the supposed protagonists/heroes dies so quickly.

Poor Shinonome though...a pretty cool guy, his relationship with Hisame seemed to be progressing well, he had her dads' approval...and then he bites it. But at least he went out a hero like his dog did.

What was Shinonome's wish though? To give Yuuhi his power somehow?

Also guess the next episode preview confirms his brother is the third knight.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
I'm still wrapping my head around why they decided to hire the studios they did to animate this show. NAZ was never that good between the stilted animation and the poor composite jobs of both their titles and their work for Science SARU. And Jumondo's a sub-contract studio, and that never works out well when it comes to one of those helming a full series given recent efforts by other such companies.

Was it time? Money? Did they tender the lowest bid? Were they directly chosen by the production committee?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Yuuhi and Samidare finally crying over Hangetsu was a good scene. But even though Yuuhi has his skills, that doesn't mean he can fight like him, judging by how Mikazuki keeps trouncing him.

Am I getting some vibes from Yuuhi and Yayoi? Even if it's just gratefullness, not every girl goes to a guys' apartment just to cook him dinner...

I love how Matsuoka's knight is basically just fat Kirito. And, like, the only knight with a job.

Wow, feels like they're really speeding the plot. The cast keep stumbling into new Knights, all basically kids, the main villain shows up out of nowhere, and now we've got Sami with her cape giving an inspiring speech like it's before the final battle even though she and Yuuhi are basically plotting to turn on them.

But hey, Sami and Yuuhi got to mutually confess their love, so that's nice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:22 am Reply with quote
I somehow didn't think the horse looked so terrible the first time we saw it (not that it looked good either), but this episode it was unavoidably freaky. And just as I was marveling over how derpy it looked, I realized the people weren't really any better, at least none of the people in Nagumo's backstory.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I somehow didn't think the horse looked so terrible the first time we saw it (not that it looked good either), but this episode it was unavoidably freaky. And just as I was marveling over how derpy it looked, I realized the people weren't really any better, at least none of the people in Nagumo's backstory.

It's not exactly good that the horse has gotten so bizarre looking that it made me think of a certain horse from Berserk.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're slowing down the pacing and actually spending time developing the other knights and even the villain/background. Given this is 2-cour, it makes sense.

Seeing the Knights work together to beat the Golem was pretty nice. I was honestly expecting another one to bite it. Akitani went out like a hero.

I feel bad for Yayoi. Falling for a guy planning to destroy the world with another girl.

I wonder if the swimsuit chapter was more involved than what they showed here...
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: The colors always have been kinda ugly in that show, but man that brown balloon looked so nasty.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it took me this long to realize Akitani's name was a palindrome. The first time I saw it, I didn't think, "oh neat, a palindrome!", but "Why the hell did they translate his name like the "chi" character is pronounced "ti"?" I should be ashamed of my inner proofreader for such an autopilot response.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
I'm still wrapping my head around why they decided to hire the studios they did to animate this show. NAZ was never that good between the stilted animation and the poor composite jobs of both their titles and their work for Science SARU. And Jumondo's a sub-contract studio, and that never works out well when it comes to one of those helming a full series given recent efforts by other such companies.

Was it time? Money? Did they tender the lowest bid? Were they directly chosen by the production committee?

NAZ were directly chosen and was given a really tight schedule and it's the reason Jumondo is doing most of the animation but since it's 2 cour adaptation maybe NAZ at some point since they finished working on bisco and just need the right time for it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The title is a reference to Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, right? Has anyone confirmed that?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Anima is...not what I was expecting. Her design is nice, as is being voiced by MAO, though she's definitely a "my pace" kind of character. But it seems like she is trying to help them in her own way, even if just upgrading Dark Dance to a Mythical Beast Knight taxed Samidare and requires her to eat a lot.

Poor Yayoi is exposed as a cosplayer. She should take pride in it! I wonder where they're developing her opposition to Yuuhi and Samidare though. Was that brief magical girl snippet foreshadowing?

I love how we get a unicorn upgrade and a drill kick like it's Kamen Rider.

Mikizuki has a job!? And Subaru definitely looks to be crushing on him.

Poor Tarou is now the resident team cook.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The title is a reference to Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, right? Has anyone confirmed that?

Afraid not. The original Japanese title is "Hoshi no Samidare" which translates to something along the lines of "Early Summer Star Shower" or "Samidare of the Stars" since Samidare is the female lead's name. The localized title comes from the "Biscuit Hammer" - a plot device that is named after a real song by The Pillows, while "Lucifer" is their particular way of localizing the term "Maou" - which the male lead calls the female lead as a nickname. I assume when they first started translating the manga they thought Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer would get more attention than a more literal translation.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:56 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I assume when they first started translating the manga they thought Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer would get more attention than a more literal translation.

"The Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer" is the English-translated title provided on the original Japanese manga cover, so at the very least it is not something introduced wholesale by the translation, and in the most extreme case the final English title could have been partially dictated by Mizukami-sensei.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
lossthief wrote:
I assume when they first started translating the manga they thought Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer would get more attention than a more literal translation.

"The Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer" is the English-translated title provided on the original Japanese manga cover, so at the very least it is not something introduced wholesale by the translation, and in the most extreme case the final English title could have been partially dictated by Mizukami-sensei.

Huh, well, who knows. It's quite a coincidence to have a Lucifer's Hammer comet destroying the world, and also the Biscuit Hammer threatening to do the same here. It wouldn't be completely impossible to have a multilayer pun there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3