• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: RWBY: Ice Queendom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
It's actually explained in his character bio on the website lol. Both the sword and the cloak are manifestations of his immunity that he can share with others. Notice how Yang is wearing his cloak.

As for Blake, her plan might be to embrace Wiess' view of the White Fang for the sake of a power up. Wiess does seem them as a scary powerful threat and now Blake embodies that.[/quote]

That actually makes more sense than I thought it would. I’m also tentatively hopeful that we’ll expound more on the team’s insecurities later on, but maybe not. They sure are being pretty glib about a lot of them, and don’t really seem all that interested in doing much of a deep dive a la Madoka; everything is very surface-level, and I agree with the reviewer that it feels like a missed opportunity.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote
I thought this week's thumbnail was from Akame ga Kill! Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
I more or less like this show even though it's flogging a conceit that I personally never dig: entering into dreams. I was hoping this was gonna be a short arc, but instead it seems like it's basically gonna take up the entire cours. Oh and now Ruby is asleep and dreaming. Great.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It takes Weiss turning up in Rubys dream and laying it out for her... and she still mostly doesn't get it. It's a sad state of affairs when Jaune kinda holds his own, and an entirely mute Pyrrha has probably contributed as much to actual progress as anyone else.

Still, Ruby is all heart, and that did at least get dream time running backwards. Now it's down to new design Blake (who looks pretty awesome) to shatter some preconceptions. Or at least act as a massive distraction while Ruby's two bewildered braincells work on thawing Weiss out a little more.

Am I too mean about Ruby? Maybe.. it's perhaps the rushed nature of the character introductions that Ruby's immaturity and insecurity has been emphasized without much chance for her to show many strengths (beyond her big ole' heart). Having not watched the original RWBY, I don't know if she's got any. So I'm left with "seems a nice kid... kinda hopeless though."
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the show but I wish the animation was better, this episode was especially rough. It sucks cause the first 3 episodes looked great.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I'm liking the show but I wish the animation was better, this episode was especially rough. It sucks cause the first 3 episodes looked great.

Some shots of Yang's motorbike looked like a child had drawn it over the top of the frame! Though other than the unintentionally amusing visual glitch, I liked this episode.

I guess I'd agree with the review that the shows exploration of some of the social/political aspects of its plot aren't as fleshed out as they possibly ought to be to do them justice. But I don't think the point is that Dark-Blake is justified in calling out Weiss and we just don't have the evidence for it due to sketchy character building. The point, pretty much, is that she isn't. She's a mirror of Negative-Weiss, who isn't justified in her actions either. I think the idea is that Wiess needs to see herself in that mirror, see that neither the Schnee nor the White Fang are right even though both have valid grievances. We see maybe a touch of this working - despite her Ice Queen act, she's hurt and confused by Blake's accusations and character shift. She initially defends herself by saying this isn't what she wants (though does then return to rhetoric about judging people). We just have to see if Blake (by far the smartest of the group I think) can press her advantage before she loses herself to the nightmare.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 probably had some of the better elements that were wanted in the series. But it also brought to mind that perhaps something missed with the idea of an anime adaption is what it could accomplish in escaping more static forms of the character cg models. Also maybe a bit more on the highlights being combos, where we see a combination between abilities.

My main thought with it look like one more episode, was that we need a specific kind of silliness to cap it off, since it was kind of missing from a lot of nightmare world stuff. And the title of next episode has risen my expectations of such, a chance to pull from it's most anime part.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, my feelings pretty much line up with AJ’s. After I was done with the episode, I couldn’t shake the feeling that while it all looked cool, it didn’t really feel like Weiss herself had changed so much as a switch had been flipped. Nega-Weiss did seem to change when confronted by Nega-Blake, and Nega-Blake made some valid points, and it’s ambiguous if those ideas just get subsumed by the dreamer, but it never felt to me like Weiss ever confronted her feelings about Ruby and her insecurities about not being a leader, in large part because we spent so much time exploring the mechanics of the dream world. It just felt like there were a lot of cool ideas and costumes but not enough time devoted to meaningful substance to back it up. It felt more like the writers had a conclusion they were writing back from, rather than organically towards, if that makes any sense.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad this 8-episode nightmare arc is over. I know there's only one episode left but hopefully any future seasons won't be about being trapped in a dream.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My main thought with it look like one more episode, was that we need a specific kind of silliness to cap it off, since it was kind of missing from a lot of nightmare world stuff. And the title of next episode has risen my expectations of such, a chance to pull from it's most anime part.

Nailed it.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
Well it is great the RWBY an anime inspired show, actually got an anime of its own.

It's a shame that the actual RWBY show is a god damn mess
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2