• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rent-A-Girlfriend Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
For all the shows' (and the series') faults it's depiction of Chizuru's family life, realizing her dream, and growing from a sassy and cynical tomboy to the girl we know today with all the hardships and heartbreak she's had to endure...was super effective. Sora Amamiya also did an amazing job in this episode, although I kind of chuckled when I heard a little Nazuna when Chizuru was being sarcastic.

Even Kazuya showed he can be a solid romantic lead when they let him keep it in his pants...mostly. And just like she learned to love her grandpa for his idiotic optimism and dedication, so too is Chizuru falling hard for Kazuya for those same qualities.

I'm really looking forward to season 3 now. They even teased a new character!
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Last two episodes were really decent. Honestly I think this would a good way to end the franchise.... oh wait there's more. Hmm, I might return for an episode or two. I'll stay if season 3's episodes are more like 23 and 24.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I cried during Grandpa's hospital scene and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I'm gonna cry a lot more during season 3 though. Oof.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It really felt like this episode should have been in season 1, or at least just the flashback. Rent a Girlfriend doesn't have a bad concept and it's not unsalvagable, really just 80% of the problems I have with it are due to pacing.

Overall I disliked this season much more than the first, but I hear the next arc is gonna be much better so I guess I'll stay tuned in 2 years or however long it'll take to come out.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Sora Amamiya also did an amazing job in this episode, although I kind of chuckled when I heard a little Nazuna when Chizuru was being sarcastic.

I didn’t even realize that Chizuru and Nazuna were played by the same person!
CulturedTre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
I don’t feel quite so…annoyed? as the author, but I agree with the sentiment behind it. At its heart, RAG just isn’t a very good story. Minimal development in plot or in character makes it feel like one long reel of filler. HOWEVER, as much as I’m aware of it, I still keep watching. Is it hope of a change? No, I lost that after last season.

End of the day, I think I actually am interested in seeing what eventually happens. I can criticize 60% of the show, but I do want to know the outcome. Isn’t getting the audience interested in the outcome more impressive when the flaws are so open to see? I try not to rage against RAG because I do keep watching. I suppose they have done something right.

I just haven’t figured out what that is yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4