• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Devil Is a Part-Timer!! Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
At this point the main thing I'm coming back for is Yoko Hikasa as Emi because it just doesn't feel like they quite have the energy, comedic timing, or sheer dynamism of season 1.

(Also did they increase Emi's bust a little? It felt like her cleavage was more pronounced compared to season 1 because they kept joking about how much flatter she was).
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm finding this season to be surprisingly but pleasantly comfy. Though I understand why many fans are disappointed that we're getting more of a slow burn supernatural slice-of-life that largely lacks the sharper action-comedy of the first season.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:09 am Reply with quote
The opening sequence of this episode when Emi throws the bear is a perfect example of the missed opportunities this series has had. That was a hilarious moment and could have been drawn out for a few more beats than it was. We could have had some more close-up shots of the non-Enta Isla characters' reactions, for example. Alas Ramus was cute as all get-out cheering for mommy, and I appreciated the running "Bear-slayer" nickname joke throughout the episode, but the moment as presented went by too quickly to have the full comedy impact that it could have. Something I feel like this season has suffered from at times.

Also, IIRC, the farming story was a side story in the LN series and not really a big part of the overall narrative. I was surprised when they decided to include it, especially coming on the heels of the similar-but-more-substantial-to-the-story beach adventure.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
Review:
Quote:
Admittedly, maybe I'm just a bit impatient because the show is almost over and it already took us so long to get more of this series and I don't want to have to wait another 10 years.

I seriously doubt it will take another 10 years for another season. I am convinced that the revival of this anime happened because they wanted to do at least 2-3 cour; not just 1. Also, Crunchyroll/Funimation are probably helping to finance the anime, which could mean more seasons more quickly.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Was that Aoi Koga as Emi's co-worker? Kind of random get for a side-character. Then again, Natsuki Hanae is one of the random McGronalds' employees.

I love how angels all end up more or less becoming NEET and freeloaders. Well, except Sariel.

I love whenever Emi freaks out. Her gal pal dating one of her mortal enemies? Ha!

The new villain has an afro? And is after Chiho?
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I love whenever Emi freaks out. Her gal pal dating one of her mortal enemies? Ha!

Emi's reactions throughout the episode were top-tier. Total mental process crash when Rika asked what sort of clothes Aisha likes, reboot into "I really don't want to be having this conversation". Confusion carried over into a hilarious loss of self control at work too.

Gotta wait for next week for the date Aisha doesn't even realize he's set up. Should be fun.

Alas Ramus might be giving Chi-chan some completion in the "things Mao would burn a world to protect" stakes, but the new antagonist better be ready because the one thing that unites our cast is Chiho. (though I guess there's a risk we won't get resolution on that this season)
Yanqui9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh why oh why did they animate that boring side story about going to work at Chiyo's family farm?!?

(Oh did you know, BTW, Chiyo is really a rich girl, she's part of a family that owns a mountainside! Teenage interplanetary diplomat, E cup bra, and rich girl. Nah, Chiyo wasn't someone's vicarious fantasy!)

Okay, I know the story was included in the manga. It was supposed to be a side light novel and throaway story which had no bearing on the main plot but they decided to put it in the manga so I guess they thought it had to put it in the anime. And then they cut out the whole thing about the grannie knowing who and what the visitors from Inte Isla really are! Including the part where she tells them that she's seen people with 'special abilities' before. (Sephira children? aliens? we never find out because what was going on there is never revealed).

Humph, at least the next novels due to be animated are among my favorites. There's some good adventure and comedy there if they do it right. I must apologize for the tone of this post, I'm still a little miffed about how the whole story turned out.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yanqui9 wrote:
And then they cut out the whole thing about the grannie knowing who and what the visitors from Inte Isla really are! Including the part where she tells them that she's seen people with 'special abilities' before. (Sephira children? aliens? we never find out because what was going on there is never revealed).

I definitely remember a scene like that in the anime, though she left it a bit vague exactly how much she knew.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
Rika's feelings for Ashiya are so adorable. I feel like this episode also demonstrated how she could be a good partner for him and compliment him and his personality. I don't think finding out their demons would deter her feelings either.

Surprise Engrish! Not the worst I've heard, but they surprisingly committed to that scene.

Lailah looks good as a nurse.

I can understand Emi's mixed feelings about the mom she wants to know because she never understood or knew her while also being protective of her from anything that might do her harm...before they could have their first proper talk as mother and daughter.

Looks like it's time for the final battle to close this season out.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Emi's reactions throughout the episode were top-tier. Total mental process crash when Rika asked what sort of clothes Aisha likes, reboot into "I really don't want to be having this conversation". Confusion carried over into a hilarious loss of self control at work too.

Gotta wait for next week for the date Aisha doesn't even realize he's set up. Should be fun.

Alas Ramus might be giving Chi-chan some completion in the "things Mao would burn a world to protect" stakes, but the new antagonist better be ready because the one thing that unites our cast is Chiho. (though I guess there's a risk we won't get resolution on that this season)

spoiler[One of the advantages of an adaptation is they can change things - either to better set up the LN resolution, or to have a different one entirely. Having read the final chapters of the Kampfer manga, the author stated that each medium was supposed to have a different ending, or at least a different romantic resolution. Back to this show, I remember reading somewhere that the first season director was a Chiho shipper, and deliberately made some changes to make her look better and Emi look worse.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I hated this season, even if it was clear that the direction and execution just wasn't on the level of season 1, which is a huge disappointment. Especially for as many people had been wishing for a follow up all this time...and we're still getting more, which is nice, but I'm not sure if a lot of people will be willing to check it out with how this season had been handled.

I guess good news for Emi her dad is alive (and one of the main reasons she hated Maou done away with) and she can find a reason to fight beyond her desire for revenge through her motherhood. Bad news...she still can't talk to her own mom.

I hope this is a one time thing and they don't try to spin Chiho as a combatant moving forward.

Gabriel can still fight, but Raguel is basically a joke.

Nao Toyama doing a Kikuko Inoue impression was hilarious.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This season was meh. The cute make-shift family is always cute (but come on, you have to compete with Spy x Family over that!!)

And the animation quality was pretty awful and low budget. I have no clue what they were thinking...it's like they don't care that much.

And the more of Chiho I see, the more convinced I am that the series would be WAY better without her at all. She just....really irritates me and she always has. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3