• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parallel World Pharmacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Im not sure jumping straight to Titanium Dioxide based cosmetics is really practical, its only been mass produced since the 80's as it requires heating certain ores to 900 degrees, a temperature it was difficult to reliably produce before modern electrical and gas furnaces.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Im not sure jumping straight to Titanium Dioxide based cosmetics is really practical, its only been mass produced since the 80's as it requires heating certain ores to 900 degrees, a temperature it was difficult to reliably produce before modern electrical and gas furnaces.

I wonder how the other businesses are going to obtain their raw materials. If it's from Farma himself, you'd think the story would establish that. But even if he somehow had enough time during the day to make and sell various raw materials (probably not?), he would still be holding a monopoly of sorts that the queen is trying to avoid (even if he has no malicious intent). So, I agree that this part of the plot doesn't make sense to me.

It was a bit of a bother for me with the TB plot too, since the complex molecule was originally from a special kind of bacteria that produces it. So in order to produce that molecule independently from Farma, he would need to establish the whole school of microbiology and create a new industry to research bacteria. Though, since there has been no mention that TB can now be widely cured, I assume nothing has happened yet, so this hasn't crossed the line to become unrealistic.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Quote:
- Holy crap, he is 10 years old?

What the heck... I thought he was 15 or something.

A lot of characters here are younger than they look. Farma is 10, Lotte is 9, spoiler[Ellen is 16, Farma's parents are in their mid 30s, the Empress is in her mid 20s (and a widow)].

Yeah...I definitely have a problem with this, I like my competent characters but everybody is just too young, specially Chloe, the fact that a 9 years old victorian maid made a survey that complicated... dunno, just feels off.

I also concur on others comments on the series moving too frictionless, this is a general problem with these shows where the main character tries to use modern era logic to fix the past.

In reality if you try to implement liberal economics while use the government to regulate it then you get disasters like South America, nothing but countries full of oligarchs that use the government as a shield against competitors.

A victorian era country would get decimated if you tried the same.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
So frictionless it was outright slippery. It was almost hilarious how the second he started selling those cosmetics he developed within a week all of his problems were negated so hard they becae bonuses. Not to mention the branch shop and the maternity leave stuff, that was quite the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment with how quickly and smoothly it went.

This show has some surface similarities with Honzuki, but not the same charm. Part of it comes from how grounded and thoughtful the latter was. Briefly or extensively, easily or with difficulty, all apparent problems and impossibilities for Myne's inventions were addressed; whereas this show just chooses to gloss over them, they introduced the creation power as an excuse but never realized it doesn't quite apply to mass production.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

Yeah that type of solution can only really be accomplished by capital "M" magic either by an avatar like Farma or a family that specialized in fire or lightning magic. Honestly, I think Parallel World Pharmacy addressing this topic but I wish it had spent a longer amount of time overcoming this issue. Like I would have liked to have spent a little more time with Chloe, where we see her recruit the team of Pharmaceutists that make up the cosmetics branch of the pharmacy. Then again, there is only so much you can do with the time you are allotted in terms of animation.

On the positive side, I'm super happy that Lotte gets to do stuff. Most shows would just have her be a cute mascot but no she is a full blown member of team and her survey idea was freaking genius. Lastly, James I think you chose the best screenshot for this episode. 5 out of 5 stars
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how it is in Japan, but that seemed less like a pharmacy and more like a full clinic, but at least he made good use of the floor space Laughing

Funny to see cosmetics being used to bolster a shop in another isekai show, though it does make sense.

Maybe I wasn't focused enough at the end of the episode, but I'm not quite sure why he was happy that the Queen wanted him to raise prices. I understand that if the prices are too low other business will fold, but doesn't that mean that commoners will be priced out which was Farma's whole goal?

Those "disguises" were a great bit Smile

@Gina Szanboti It seemed to me that Farma didn't make a skin whitener that changes your actual skin tone, just a non-toxic makeup to give a lighter color
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Maybe I wasn't focused enough at the end of the episode, but I'm not quite sure why he was happy that the Queen wanted him to raise prices. I understand that if the prices are too low other business will fold, but doesn't that mean that commoners will be priced out which was Farma's whole goal?

The point is to be competitive. Since Farma can make everything he needs he could sell at a price noone else possibly could. It can still be affordable but without destroying the entire market.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:08 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
It seemed to me that Farma didn't make a skin whitener that changes your actual skin tone, just a non-toxic makeup to give a lighter color

Whether it reduces or it covers melanin isn't the issue for me. It's the "white skin is best skin" attitude that's a problem, and one that's too complex for this anime to adequately address.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Whether it reduces or it covers melanin isn't the issue for me. It's the "white skin is best skin" attitude that's a problem, and one that's too complex for this anime to adequately address.

You can't really hold medieval people to the skin tone standards of the 2020's, specially when their preference for white skin isn't about racism but about classism. Even nowadays you won't see that much people that really will give a shit abiut others wanting their skin to be darker or lighter.
I think it was more of a glaring issue that her "beloved" was enough of an asshole to reject her because she "isn't white enough". That's a red flag if I've ever seen one.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:56 am Reply with quote
Also the show did go out of its way to show that the lady in question would not accept praise of her being beautiful as she was. She was caught in the desire for a man clearly not worthy of her. It almost feels like there was a story there in the background that we didn't get to participate in given her changed outlook at the end as a champion of lady workers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You can't really hold medieval people to the skin tone standards of the 2020's, specially when their preference for white skin isn't about racism but about classism. Even nowadays you won't see that much people that really will give a shit abiut others wanting their skin to be darker or lighter.

Depends on where you live, I guess. Skin whiteners are a multi-billion dollar industry across Asia and Africa, and it is a huge issue there with medical, economic, social and political repercussions.

But again, my main issue is not holding [the characters] to modern American standards, but with the anime tackling a serious issue it didn't really have the chops or desire to explore.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, we don't learn much of anything about these sketchy clergyman other than the fact that they're none too pleased about the Shadowless Zombie God Boy that's been sighted in the kingdom, which explains why they go to such great lengths to ambush him at the end of the episode (and, uh, crash a cart full of manure into his pharmacy, for some reason).

I think they're from a different kingdom too? So the crashing of the manure cart into a royally-sanctioned pharmacy and the abduction of a royal pharmacist is actually a massive international incident. I guess Farma might use that to get out of things, rather than go all OP-Isekai protagonist on them. That or the Queen (Empress?) will show up, look awesome, and kick some asses (politically). I'd certainly go for more Queen Liz screentime.

I think the reveal of Farma's powers to Lotte, was well done too in the grounded but ultimately gentle manner of the show. Farma expected the sort of reaction he got from Ellen, Lotte felt shame at not putting herself on the line, miscommunication achieved. And then resolved by some honest communication. A deeper bond is the result.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, we don't learn much of anything about these sketchy clergyman other than the fact that they're none too pleased about the Shadowless Zombie God Boy that's been sighted in the kingdom, which explains why they go to such great lengths to ambush him at the end of the episode (and, uh, crash a cart full of manure into his pharmacy, for some reason).

I suggest not jumping to conclusions that the clergymen were the ones who did it. Like Farma said, overhasty action may lead to false charges.

Quote:
That or the Queen (Empress?) will show up, look awesome, and kick some asses (politically). I'd certainly go for more Queen Liz screentime.

Empress. This is an empire not a kingdom. Just clarifying
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

Thanks. She's inconsistently referred to as "Queen Elizabeth" in some places so I wasn't totally sure.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Thanks. She's inconsistently referred to as "Queen Elizabeth" in some places so I wasn't totally sure.

I know so I understand that some might get confused but even the English dub addresses her as Empress and their country as an empire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6