• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parallel World Pharmacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Cryten wrote:
A curious kind of contradiction occurs this episode with the lady whose story takes up a 3rd of the episode. In that the study of molds for many years before Farma in combination with heavy glasses and academic research into the field would seem to run counter to Farma introducing the idea of microbiology to the world. Especially with the lady immediately recognising specific mold strains from a drawing of the microscopic organism. You would think that within the academic institution that they would of tested possible applications of molds, meaning they should already be aware of the poultice application of these specific strains as well.

Not necessarily. Scattered records of the medicinal use of mold date back well into antiquity, but all such references are in the category of folk remedies. Academic study of molds for medicinal purposes does not appear to predate Alexander Fleming's serendipitous discovery of penicillin in 1928, so trained academics pooh-poohing the study of molds in a late Renaissance-era setting is hardly strange.

So your saying she spent a life time (or at least the last years of her academic life) of cataloguing molds and their medicinal use, including wearing deep level glasses (unless they where for new research) and never learnt about both the folk remedies or health applications of these molds while also spending all that time being paid to research them?

That seems a bit too much perfectly setup to be ready to help while also being completely ignorant of her speciality. And that is my point. You can easily write a "Oh it was just the circumstances" convenience into a story. But it doesnt integrate smoothly with what was established, a people that while aware of death by pneumonia and tuberculosis by symptom, treated it with blood letting, suppressant drugs and shifting the air around with magic.

I know technically all these can exist in isolation, but it contradicts its own feelings. I dont want to be too down on the show since I like it. I just wanted to point out that.

In addition my issue with academia isnt that academia isnt appropriate for grants, but that the kind of private funding model would generally be in a society more open to sharing knowledge rather then only serving nobility. Even if said sharing was from a dominant position to the very small middle class of the times.
Washu0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
For the Ep 11 review, telescope should be microscope.

"Spooky McNecromancer" is hilarious and perfectly named.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, it's maybe telling that my favorite part of this episode has nothing to do with Farma's work in L'Estacque, which is pretty underwhelming, despite being the focus of the title and everything

Its ironic but the anime is once again guilty of skipping content that would have shown more of what Farma did in the village. Exposition is important in cases like these. To me it kinda feels like they're just doing this to advertise the manga and novels.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Cryten, the way this latest development is set up is far too deep into the plot convenience territory they've been drifting towards with some story elements. Admittedly, some context is missing - what proportion of the institutions budget does she actually get for example. But the framing strongly suggests that no one thinks what she's doing is worthwhile, but they've been shoveling money for her research for some four decades without any stated purpose. It's not as though she was part of any general research university and chose mold as her subject. This is a university specifically for medical research, and there was no discernable medicinal applications for some 40 years? Unless she's some nobility's family member or formerly someone's secret lover, it makes very little sense that she would have been given that much leeway for that long to essentially entertain a hobby.

Again, it's a small misstep where it seems less like they didn't think about these things, more like they cut it out and thus left odd context and a seemingly forced narrative. They overplayed the idea of mold research being not a priority, making the "surprise" of the episode rely too heavily on the idea that no one at all knew this thing existed but had it all along. Just a slight indication that SOMEONE thought this had applicable purpose and not that this old lady was growing and looking at mold just because and that she was being funded also just because, and it all happened to click into place right before she was getting set to retire.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
Im glad they kept the scene of Farma finishing Camus quickly but they rushed through the aftermath of the entire arc. I see they added an extra scene of Bruno fighting Camus in order to buy Farma time to save Cedric and Lotte which is fine as they've been building up Bruno and Camus' relationship since early on. I get that they didn't want to show the squirrels being killed and incinerated but they should have at least mentioned that they were dealt with. Other than the skipped content and rushed pacing I enjoyed this adaptation and while there is enough content for a season 2 I doubt we're gonna get one but it was fun while it lasted.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Its all done and dusted. And while I would not call it a classic or great series it was a firmly good affair. I appreciate the work and quality of detail in the show, it never excited me past the first episodes interesting threat to the main character but it did keep me engaged. Farma is like a well written over powered character without charisma, interesting in abstract but also boring in detail.

Technical Aspects: B
Background Detail: A
Story: B+
Plot and viewer Engagement: C
Fun: B
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Serviceable definitely seems to fit. Not bad, not great, but satisfactory.

So Farma purified (cured) the whole capital and the other town was on lockdown, so what else took up two months of his time keeping him away from the shop? Weren't things mostly dealt with at that point?
Speaking of the capital, how did people get infected so fast? The squirrels were just released (seemingly) shortly before Farma arrived. Did their fleas just start jumping on people the second they could?

Still, I wouldn't mind watching another season, especially if it focused on the growing business side over undead evil pharmacists

GhostD wrote:
I get that they didn't want to show the squirrels being killed and incinerated but they should have at least mentioned that they were dealt with.

Agreed. Last episode it seemed like it was going to be a focus point for this one, but they're barely mentioned.
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correct, Farma's big magic didn't actually cure the plague in town - it just dampened things, which is why it took a few more months to clearly resolve the issue. That could have been explained better, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6