• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uncle From Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:58 am Reply with quote
So there is over 1000 games for the Saturn but around 935 of them were never localized for America. Episode 2 also has my favorite Eva joke that I don't will ever be topped in my book. I don't know why Netflix has these episodes on a two week delay for certain territories and not for others as they an english sub for them on release date.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
I mean, if we are gonna be picky about tsunderes, Akane is way older than Azuka, Sayaka older than her and Lum even older.

Simply put, Uncle doesn't care about anything not Sega.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This anime has a lot of ladies unlucky in love.

We have the elf girl (who Takafumi is surprisingly invested in seeing again), Mable who misses her chance at love and actually living a more fulfilling life because the Uncle basically re-affirms her being a hikikomori, and Fujimiya who is pinning hard for Takafumi who only seems to see her as a friend. Even the Ending is basically elf girl looking forlornly and melancholic, probably because of her feelings for Uncle.

Also mage girl makes her cameo.

I wonder if we're ever going to see Mable again or if this episode and her scenes in the Opening are just it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
Just caught up and really enjoyed it.
Just curious about something. For anyone that knows, without any spoilery details, do we find out how/why he returned at any point?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Just caught up and really enjoyed it.
Just curious about something. For anyone that knows, without any spoilery details, do we find out how/why he returned at any point?

Really not a spoiler imho, but tagged just in case anyone doesn’t even want to know yes or no: spoiler[There’s been foreshadowing so it should be revealed eventually, but it hasn’t been revealed so far in the manga. It seems to me like something that might potentially be left until close to the end of the story or at least a major turning point.]
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
As an uncle with memories of the console wars and Sega just this close to winning it, this series is painful to watch.

The joke is always the same "My uncle doesn't understand this world, or the world he was in… Haha!", which I guess it should be funny for readers in Japan.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Haha! This show's great! I like its understated style. And it's nice to see a show actually show and reference real-world properties, though I guess any actual branded imagery will only be tied to SEGA.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Takafumi's faith in humanity and the internet is restored while the uncle's faith in himself and people is destroyed.

The plight of elf girl continues. Like, okay, constantly calling your love interest "orc face" is a bit much, but she always defends him in front of people and makes sure he's safe, she's goes on a one-woman suicide run to protect him and the whole city (from a mess he caused), and all she asked for in return was a dinner date...and he high tails it out of there rather than be "extorted." Poor girl.

Takafumi wastes no time when he sees his uncle as the elf girl. Because cute girls and sex sells. Especially when they're pantsless.

Haruka Tomatsu having to play the uncle playing "aunt" was hilarious. Especially when she started talking about Tails and SEGA games.

I guess that explains why Takafumi has difficulty seeing Fujimiya as a love interest. Her bullying him and basically being someone he thought of as a boy for so long makes it difficult to see her romantically...all the same the two still seem genuinely close in spite of that, and it actually seems to help uncle realize a bit about how the elf girl truly felt about him. Even if it's also what inhabiting her form is telling him.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
Iirc in the manga they said the barrier was unbreakable so testing it seemed more reasonable.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the Japanese broadcast is skipping a week due to COVID. I wonder if that means the two-week-delayed Netflix release will catch up by a week.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:53 am Reply with quote
Okay so I have just watched the episodes that Netflix have up (in the UK at least) and I really like it. But I think I hate Fujimiya at this point, she meets the (from her point of view) a possibly mentally ill uncle that the guy she likes is supporting and her reaction is to tell the newphew in question to throw him out on the street and cut ties? Leaving said uncle homeless and destitute?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did she... are we supposed to assume she raped him? Was that the joke? Or I am reading too much into this?
In the manga Takafumi asks Uncle if his clothes were disheveled to which the answer was no. So you're likely meant to assume that she masturbated instead.

As for the episode itself, hilarious as ever. Uncle's snoring as Elf stands in silence and then her red eyes the day after are hysterical.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The post-credits scene was a bonus chapter in a manga volume release which is why it’s kind of outside the normal tone.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Welp, thanks to the whole staff getting COVID, it looks like we won't have a new episode for two weeks—unless of course Netflix decides to keep the US airing unbroken since it started two weeks late initially.

It looks like US Netflix is delaying the delayed release too. The episode listing says the next episode will be out on August 31.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I continue to pity poor Fujimiya and Elf Girl. They try so hard, they're so cute and attractive, and their feelings become more and more overt...and it just doesn't get through to these dense idiots.

Although I guess at least it becomes more clear that they genuinely care about them even if they don't see them as romantic interests...though Takafumi does seem flustered around Fujimiya's beauty (just not in a "gets turned on by a middle school girl in a swimsuit" sort of way).

I guess it's not the first time I've seen a woman willing to get caught naked by the guy she likes...or in a boyfriend shirt...but being so desperate to make sure he didn't forget about it was kind of sad.

Elf Girl looked amazing in that dress. And she may not have gotten laid, but she did get some intimate action in the post-credit scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4