• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uncle From Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
• While there are two ways to interpret Uncle saying he'll treat Takafumi and Fujimiya to ramen and then not having enough to pay, the one I'm inclined to go with is that he was still thinking in the 2000s when he assumed how much a bowl of ramen costs (especially given that he didn't pull a similar “scam” when treating Elf and Mabel to a meal). It's just that inflation's a bitch.

From what I looked up, the difference in the yen's value between 2000 and 2018 was about 2.3%.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah yeah, looks like they actually had long periods of deflation from 1998 to 2014. In theory local food prices could still have changed — no idea how likely that is in these circumstances.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Uncle's been through a lot! From getting sold off for barely anything to getting thrown into a cage like an animal and forgotten about. It's enough to cause a nosebleed indicating he's encountered a memory he's erased. And with good reason.

SEGA OST!

Who would've expected Uncle's babbling about SEGA stuff would end up leading to him bonding with the Spirits and granting him his great power? Although it is very Uncle.

Not even Uncle freeing those animals ended well for him...at least he saved that guy though as his first heroic feat.

We finally arrive to when Uncle met Elf Girl! And she's a little underdressed from an attack from a Venom Dragon, and he saves her nevertheless. But in true tsundere fashion she's torn between thanking him and trying to kill him, which doesn't create the best first impression from Uncle.

Uncle having no qualms unzipping his jacket to expect Elf Girl when she's practically naked. He's pretty much seen everything at this point.

Fujimiya should've gone with the Fried Chicken because she knows how Uncle stories usually go by this point .

I see Elf Girl and Mabel weren't mad enough at Uncle to not sleep with him when he thawed, and in any other anime Uncle would enjoy the sight of Elf Girls in front of him. And just when Elf Girl is enjoying their closeness, Mable kills the mood with her strong desire to be a bum (despite protestations to the contrary).

Mabel's mom basically abandoned her for a younger man? That kind of sucks.

Seems like Elf Girl has her own backstory and storyline going on. She won't reveal her real name, and she's after some kind of secret artifacts. But she also wants to get her ring back so she doesn't lose to Mabel.

Is the third Heroine going to be this Champion that they talked about?

It's too bad these three couldn't settle into a party...because Mabel would rather sleep than do anything.

Uncle made such a show of treating them to ramen...and poor Fujimiya still had to spot him the rest of the money. Well, she needed to eat, so I guess it worked out in the end.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Ah yeah, looks like they actually had long periods of deflation from 1998 to 2014. In theory local food prices could still have changed — no idea how likely that is in these circumstances.

I think I figured it out! In 2000 (when Uncle left) consumption tax (which includes tax on food when eating out) was 5%. In 2017, it was 8%. He might have thought he had just enough based on the old tax rate when he suggested he'd pay for the meal.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
imo the show is kinda spinning its wheels at this point. We get another heroine who also fall in love with the uncle, complete with yet more scenes of people thinking the uncle is an orc. Not only are the joke all recycled but it feel like its slowly transitioning from parody to taking itself seriously. Most of the fan service scene with the girls are just that, fan service scene with the girls, the uncle is the classic super badass protag of most isekai with not much more edge to it than that. Even the real world aspect to it is ebbing away, the three of them just gather to watch iskai TV and thats kinda it, at most we get a fan service scene, whopedo, I haven't seen that before.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
There are still some great jokes in the later manga, but they probably do get stretched further apart.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Elf Girl is surprisingly flexible in bed...though her socking Uncle after he chained her up and then nursing him was priceless.

Fujimiya looks amazing in the Elf's dress. And it feels like now the Uncle is looking back at Elf Girl more fondly.

We finally meet the last girl! Alicia! And we've got Aki Toyosaki, Kenichi Suzumura, and Nobuhiko Okamoto all together.

I see Alicia's main feature is her cuteness and her legs.

Uncle can't help but screwing himself over whenever he seems to be growing closer with someone. Is Alicia's gimmick going to be she keeps getting mindwiped every time she gets close to him?

I see looking like a goblin runs in Fujimiya's family, only it was reversed for her younger brother.

Wait, does Fujimiya actually have a chance!? Takafumi was really concerned about her with other guys, called her pretty, and when she talked in his ears he blushed hard.

Alicia wielding an oversized sword she was not prepared to wield for dramatic effect to reveal she was the hero was perfect.
Ryo_rkgk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Im so glad I stuck with this goofy anime.
The first episode seemed like it was cheap and rushed. The character designs just didn't vibe with me, but after 2 episodes it becomes unhinged and hilarious.
The sega reference’s bring back my Dreamcast ptsd, I genuinely loved that system.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Fujimiya looks amazing in the Elf's dress. And it feels like now the Uncle is looking back at Elf Girl more fondly.

He almost had a moment of realization didn't he? Almost.

Quote:
Wait, does Fujimiya actually have a chance!? Takafumi was really concerned about her with other guys, called her pretty, and when she talked in his ears he blushed hard.

He's possibly stuck a little in "protective friend" at the moment... but it's better than nothing. Ganbatte Fujimiya, I guess.
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I also knew about how you can trick the enemies into falling off the map in Golden Axe. Now I feel so old... Crying or Very sad
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
I guess this must have been another case of a review getting published by mistake, since episode 8 is still not available on Netflix outside of Japan.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I guess this must have been another case of a review getting published by mistake, since episode 8 is still not available on Netflix outside of Japan.

Yeah, I was like "Wow, next episode is finally available? Score!" and when I loaded Netflix I was greeted with 7 full bars of "already watched" and nothing more.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like it was taken down. Last review I see is Episode 7.
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone is even remotely interested, as of today, all 13 episodes are available to stream on Netflix in the US, and the only reason I know is because I remembered that I still hadn't finished this show for the very reason why the episode reviews were abruptly put to a stop after the "accidental" posting of the episode 8 review, to which I had the exact same reaction as someone already commented. If for no other reason except that the episode reviews for episodes 8-13 can finally be "legally" posted, I thought I would try to get the word out. Also, because, as hard as it is to believe, I feel like I can't be the only person to have ended up in this situation. haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, they really messed up the release schedule for this Sad. I finished it by other means so hadn’t realised they continued to stall the Netflix episodes even after the series ended.

Are producers sure the benefits of airing while episodes are still being produced outweigh the risks of these kinds of debacles? Nier Automata is in a similar situation currently. Is it perhaps thought that studios would never finish on time without the threat of missing the schedule?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4