• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Quote:
and it becomes apparent this show might just straight-up not know what words mean.

This line in the review genuinely made me laugh out loud.

In all seriousness, the scenes with Sherry left me wondering much the same about slavery. With Roxanne I didn't care as much about the details because my brain filled in "generic tragic back story" and left it at that. But the discussions around Sherry almost made it sound like she signed up to be a slave? Or was sold into by her former party? I honestly want to know now...

Alas, the anime has just started adapting volume 4, and with only one episode left, and hopefully no second season (please!)... You're not likely to get any answers from the anime.

But, there's the comics, the books... and me: spoiler[Yeah, she was sold into slavery at her own suggestion: There are implications that her family was already destitute. Then her brother the sole breadwinner was injured in the labyrinth. She tried and failed to become a blacksmith (item crafter) or shrine maiden (AOE healer), so was (implicitly) unable to earn the money needed to support her family or heal her brother. She has an aversion to borrowing money due to the risk that that would lead to her entire family being sold into slavery. So she suggested to her family that they sell her to earn the money.]

Roxanne's is a similarly banal tragedy: spoiler[there's a little more too it, but the gist of it is that her aunt was taking care of her, but one year her aunt couldn't pay the citizenship tax for the entire household (including her own children), so Roxanne was sold to make up the difference.]

Christopher Farris wrote:
A whole spiel is put forth for the logistical reasons dwarves, seemingly at their own behest, "don't often become slaves as blacksmiths", and I come away with so many more questions than I had eleven weeks ago.

So putting it together, the answer is that blacksmiths spoiler[would have the opportunity to change their job before selling themselves into slavery, or before the loan sharks/taxmen came calling. And having heard horror stories of how enslaved blacksmiths are treated, why wouldn't they take the opportunity?]

Though I can see why that might not be obvious; looking over the Narou anime list, I see a lot that I remember the novels having enslavement of minorities and orphans and criminals, and through trickery and deceit and outright kidnapping and assault. I can't remember a single debt-related one that was completely aboveboard. spoiler[Much less a voluntarily sacrifice for one's family.] ...There's probably a conclusion that can be drawn from that, but I don't have the energy.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
what is becoming a slave is just how you get employed in this world and it's actually a profound allegory for how working in a capitalism system is just slavery with the added illusion of not being a slave? (sarcasm)
Nox#942853

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The source material lists Sherry as looking like a small adult woman in terms of appearance, not young at all.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
Ep12- Well it's official folks, we have a harem. And apparently the protag is the studliest of them all because he can satisfy 5 at once. He even "conquered" the elf princess (or whoever). No need for S2... Rolling Eyes
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:13 am Reply with quote
Shame about the way they ended it, I'd love another season or four.
I think Michio said it best himself at the end of the episode, this is by far one of the best isekais(and hentais) I've watched, and I've watched a lot of them.
sorvani

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Shame about the way they ended it, I'd love another season or four.

It is not a shame, it was the best way ever. Because now there is no longer a reason to continue this disaster.

The source material was significantly different than what this turned into.

Better? Meh, that is highly subjective, but it does at least have something of a plot.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Welp… That’s that, I guess.

Pretty weird how they introduced the whole ‘set’ in the second episode and ended this series with a quick summary to show off his trophies.

I guess there won’t be a season 2 then, which is both good and yet sad. It’s not a great show, but I really liked the slow pacing.

unfortunately, it shows once again that when it comes to these types of series, interspecies reviewers & how NOT to summon a demon lord more or less set the standard in terms of balancing both the over-the-top borderline hentai fanservice and an engaging storyline while NOT making the MC a complete asshole ala redo of healer!

what i didn’t like was as usual, isn’t a completely accurate adaption of at least the manga, (no idea on the light novel) but some major details were being left out and, in this anime, he’s even WAY more OP than in the manga.

what's worse is that in typical kadokawa fashion was that they once again use the "BUY THE SOURCE MATERIALS IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE!" kind of ending

I wish they’d have at least kept Sherry more loli sized which was similar to how they had her in the source materials, but oh well! I do like the inverted nips however
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sorvani

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
I guess there won’t be a season 2 then, which is both good and yet sad. It’s not a great show, but I really liked the slow pacing.

jr240483 wrote:
what i didn’t like was as usual, isn’t a completely accurate adaption of at least the manga, (no idea on the light novel) but some major details were being left out and, in this anime, he’s even WAY more OP than in the manga.

The original web version was machine translated and posted. I've never read the manga. But this show was basically a completely different story than the web novel. Aside from keeping the world and character names, it was all turned on its head to give the Roxanne sex scenes in pretty much every episode.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting a threesome, and I got a threesome, so on that front I'm satisfied. Actually, I can't think I've ever seen an anime that ended on a sixsome.

Roxanne explaining stuff and trying to explain how her giant boobs aren't necessary for the labyrinth while basically flaunting them was hilarious.

Sherry is self-conscious about her bust but she has a pretty fine butt all her own.

Nothing says "we're probably not getting a season 2" quite like rushing through the rest of the Harem and their subsequent bathing and sexual encounters with Michio in an ending montage. Which is a shame because I would've liked to have gotten to know the other girls like we did with Sherry. But I guess at least they were in it and not just in the Opening.
chudmaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the series. Hopefully we get another season though since I hear the later volumes are even better.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
because it seems Passione is about as sick of making this thing as I am of watching it.
That's your own disinterest talking. Passione could've ignored 3 - 5 completely, but put as much of them in as they could without blending the source material into a fine puree. That was dedication to the fans and the source at work, especially since a season 2 is years away. I honestly figured that they wouldn't show at all, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry it took this long to get to the harem part of the, y'know, harem themed show. I would like to have gotten to know the other three girls more. That said, I was oddly entertained by the slow pacing and domestic tranquility of the show we got. I'd watch a season 2 if it got one.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Roxanne explaining stuff and trying to explain how her giant boobs aren't necessary for the labyrinth while basically flaunting them was hilarious.

It was hilarious how she made them bounce and the face she made xD.

Excellent show, Passione really outdid themselves with this one. The ending sequence showing the rest of the girls was so good but cruel. I already loved the show but how could I not want more seasons after seeing that.

Now, comparing your own disinterest to the work of the studio. Really? Even ignoring the rest of the reviews of the series, this was... wow. Embarassed
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I think only the anime only viewers would feel that they got cheated on the harem. I am reading the manga, so I knew what to expect, which includes the pacing.

There are two ways of seeing the ending. One is that they knew this was a one off, and they gave fans a treat at the end. Another is that, this was incentive for fans, who's girls weren't shown, to wait eagerly for a season 2. Buy the BD's for a season 2.

Ferdinand was given prominent promotional placement in the Ascendance of a Bookworm season one anime, even though he wasn't in it for much of the season. Mainly due that he was a Japanese fan favorite. So the ending either way for Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World anime was to keep the franchise's fans fed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, it explains why they shoved all the girls into the intro (and that weird scene (in the 2nd? ) episode) even though there was no way they were going to appear in the show if the pacing was kept even close to the source, because they were going to shove them all in at the end! =/

Well, I wouldn't say that means there can't be a second season, but it does seem to err on that side of things.

I don't know if I'd say the Sex Maniac is supposed to be used as a justification for Michio's actions, but personally I just find it funny. Blacksmith is a common fantasy trope for dwarves for example, but there really isn't a comparable one for humans (at least off the top of my head other than, able to take any job, but at an average level or something along those lines), so having it be something like that is a pretty good gag in my opinion.
It's almost like the racial jobs in this world are from the perception of other races. Beast kin: they sure seem like they can fight, Beast Warriors, Dwarves: they're seem like they'd be good with a hammer making things, Master Smith, Humans: they go at like rabbits Laughing (I was going to write something else, but figured I'd tone it down lol)

I think overall this works better as a manga, but I thought they did a good job adapting it and I appreciate that they didn't speed things up.

In regards to pacing, it's funny because I remember as the manga was coming out there were the same discussions where some people were wondering why there was only one girl considering the title for so long (I think it was over 30 chapters) and some others who were happy just with Roxanne Laughing spoiler[The third girl still isn't in the manga yet btw while discussing the pacing.]

Personally I appreciate the slow, methodical, everyday life style pacing of the story. I think this works better in print, as I said (since you can get more details for instance), but I'd be interested to see a second season. If they follow the manga though it might be a while. This finished around chapter 44 (not including the rush at the end) and there's only about 20 chapters after that released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12