• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was super boring , which is a shame because well animated sex scenes are a rarity nowadays (from what I could see beyond the censor boxes). It's just shopping, grooming and sex. I think the reason why I find it boring is that the main couple has zero chemistry with one another. Roxanne hasn't had much screen time beyond this episode and we only see Mickey's POV (Yes I know his name is Michio), the only things we know about her are her weapons and shield preferences. Mickey is less of a character and more of a tool the author uses to move the plot further. He transitions from awkward teenage whose afraid of sex to Chadwick Donghaver: Master of the Sexy Times at the speed of light. We barely know anything about his past and at this point, I don't know if any new information given about him will elevate Mickey past the status of author/audience avatar.

Quote:
The only "Slave" ownership Anime I've enjoyed has been "How no to summon" and that does the slave, ecchi, & adventure bits so much better.....

I agree with this statement. Isekai Mao is fun adventure series and Diabolo doesn't murder poor people, I mean bandits for the purposes of purchasing people.

Despite my constant protests, I can see why Slave Harem would appeal to it's core audience. It's simple, violent, has boobs and most importantly stands out as different from it's peers at least in the eyes of its fans. For me I find it lazy and I am content enough with it's biggest competitor this season, which in my opinion is "Bastard".
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Nothing livens up talk of stat and equipment like a woman getting dressed...

Michio finally has permission for his Hare...I mean, party.

Roxanne was in another party? Was she a slave back then too? I'm really curious about her backstory.

This show really dives far deeper into the nitty gritty of dungeon lore and dungeon crawling than I would've expected. Of course we still have Michio feeling Roxanne up and having sex to close things out.

Can we get more of Roxanne boxing monsters? Please?
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What does it say about the desperate degrees of otaku passions that even this hardcore power fantasy of video-game adventures and wish-fulfilling sex-slaves boils down to "I would like steady employment and a spouse I get along with."?

Mmm, chef's kiss

After all, coming up next is spoiler[house-shopping! Well... renting anyway. It doesn't get too fantastical Razz ...also, probably more like episode 7]
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The lack of imagination in its sparse sex scenes (especially since those are supposedly the main appeal)

If there was a reason for why the books didn't depict sex - beyond the author simply having either no skill and/or no interest in depicting it, and because it doesn't contribute to the story at all - it'd be because they don't have a kinky sex life. It'd basically be missionary with cowgirl mixed in for spice. Riveting.

Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha and Masou Gakuen HxH? They built into their premise a reason to have H scenes, and then executed them w/ skill and variety while gradually escalating to sex scenes as the relationships developed

Isekai Meikyuu simply wasn't intended to have them depicted and it shows.

Quote:
and the rest of their relationship is predicated on watching them slowly compose a GameFAQs guide

looks at his Isekai Meikyuu spreadsheet Well that cuts deep.

Quote:
It's like reading a very boring post arguing with me about Why Slavery Is Okay, Actually

or maybe "Why You Shouldn't Care About Slavery" to better reflect the story's passive, silent endorsement. Maybe. Still torn over whether it's endorsing slavery, or is just assuming that since it's not our contemporary world it doesn't matter and isn't going to dwell on it.
thepepin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
Episode 4 was super boring , which is a shame because well animated sex scenes are a rarity nowadays (from what I could see beyond the censor boxes). It's just shopping, grooming and sex. I think the reason why I find it boring is that the main couple has zero chemistry with one another. Roxanne hasn't had much screen time beyond this episode and we only see Mickey's POV (Yes I know his name is Michio), the only things we know about her are her weapons and shield preferences. Mickey is less of a character and more of a tool the author uses to move the plot further. He transitions from awkward teenage whose afraid of sex to Chadwick Donghaver: Master of the Sexy Times at the speed of light. We barely know anything about his past and at this point, I don't know if any new information given about him will elevate Mickey past the status of author/audience avatar.

Quote:
The only "Slave" ownership Anime I've enjoyed has been "How no to summon" and that does the slave, ecchi, & adventure bits so much better.....

I agree with this statement. Isekai Mao is fun adventure series and Diabolo doesn't murder poor people, I mean bandits for the purposes of purchasing people.

Despite my constant protests, I can see why Slave Harem would appeal to it's core audience. It's simple, violent, has boobs and most importantly stands out as different from it's peers at least in the eyes of its fans. For me I find it lazy and I am content enough with it's biggest competitor this season, which in my opinion is "Bastard".

The issue is that "simple, violent, has boobs" shows have been around for ages without protagonists - note that I did not say heroes - who murder people and have sex slaves. That is why I doubt your "stands out as different from it's peers" claims. Instead, it is more like the show has no contemporary peers. There are 3 ecchi shows this season: one PG-13, another is part 2 of the Bastard remake. Last season there were 2: a 3 episode OVA and part 1 of the Bastard remake. The previous one: a single entry which was 4 episode OVA. Next season 3 (one PG-13). Also not just the Bastard remake of an early 90s show that Netflix is just using for content like they did Devilman Crybaby and Saint Seiya. The two brief OVA shows were from relic series. The Ikkitousen franchise that began in the early 2000s whose "panty fighter" genre doesn't even exist anymore in anime, manga or video games. And the final installment of Strike the Blood, which looks like the last of the A Certain Magical Index knockoffs.

So if you are a fan of the R rated ecchi stuff, I guess you are going to watch stuff like this and Redo of Healer because of the lack of alternatives. I guess that also makes you protective of it and willing to twist yourself into defending the clearly offensive stuff that you wouldn't otherwise, because of the feeling that if this goes away there won't be anything else. I guess the same is true of the isekai defenders. Most of them offer ecchi or at least fanservice and they are power fantasies. Since shows like Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple, Tenjou Tenge, Air Gear and Fairy Tale that used to offer those, or at least one or the other, are no longer being made. So folks are going to defend the only shows that give them what they want no matter how bad or indefensible they are I guess because once those are gone too what else is there going to be? The Great Jahy Won't Be Defeated? The Executioner and Her Way of Life?
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:00 pm Reply with quote
@thepepin I thought Bastard counted as a current season anime as it finished airing in like June 30th but I could see the argument for it being a spring anime. I definitely agree with your assessment on the decline of Ecchi anime. Did you know they tried to reboot Queens Blade in like 2018 but get it pass like the second OVA and it took multiple years to make both of them. I will say that the Fairy Tail sequel got green lit recently. So I have a sliver of hope that stuff like Shinjou no Nectar and Tales of Wedding Rings will get anime adaptations. That and their both Isekai, thus helping my chances.

As for Labyrinth, these last two episodes... occurred. There were trees that were alive and now are dead. Looks like there is bandit murder to be had in the next episode, so it might not be as boring as the last three.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the slave owning wish fulfilment aspect of this show trades in is gross. However, it can be criticized on other grounds as well. Six episodes in and the protag is still fighting identical tree monsters and friggin' catepillars? Oi. And we have to have a replay of an already boring battle because now he wants to pick up a leaf and become a herbalist? Double oi. I am firmly in hate watching mode.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 pm Reply with quote
It kind of amazes me how the show is so upfront with the Harem aspect in the Opening and yet we're still just on Michio and Roxanne going through the nitty gritty of the dungeon like this is a 2-cour anime.

Like I was half-expecting him to make a deal with Alan for a new slave/party member in exchange for the bodyguard gig.

But Roxanne's enthusiasm and energy is infectious!
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree that the slave owning wish fulfilment aspect of this show trades in is gross. However, it can be criticized on other grounds as well. Six episodes in and the protag is still fighting identical tree monsters and friggin' catepillars? Oi. And we have to have a replay of an already boring battle because now he wants to pick up a leaf and become a herbalist? Double oi. I am firmly in hate watching mode.

well compared to how shield hero and how not to summon a demon lord use the slave aspect in their storyline, its kinda tame if you ask me.

at least its not redo of healer's level of grossness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm probably the only person on the planet that feels this way, but:

* I enjoy the dungeon crawling because it serves as a vehicle for Roxanne and Ralph Michio to build each other up in a cute and friendly way. Them constantly impressing each other with battle stuffs will never get old. It serves as one of several indicators that Michio hasn't really thought through the whole master/slave dealie, as he clearly views Roxanne as an equal/consensual romantic interest about 95% of the time, despite that being outright impossible outside of Roxanne gaining unconditional freedom from the system.
* Speaking of, I find something else to pay attention to during the lewd scenes. I think I was playing Fate/Grand Order during the most recent one, which is a pretty hilariously lateral move now that I think about it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
For those fans who, like me, wonder what is being said in the ED song, here is a link to a translation
https://www.reddit.com/r/IsekaiMeikyuudeHarem/comments/w3t5zk/rough_translation_of_the_ending_theme_gentlemens/ From what little Japanese I know it seems close enough to legit but I don't vouch for the accuracy. Best to read with the song playing in your head to keep the three parts straight (chorus/protag/slaver). Still, interesting insights if accurate

1. Good part- it portrays the girl as a rare, incomparable treasure to be cherished and treated with the care such a fine woman deserves. No use and abuse and worth whatever large a price one can pay
2. Bad part-That she can be bought, focusing on her body, skin, etc. Objectification.

Quote:
...So if you are a fan of the R rated ecchi stuff, I guess you are going to watch stuff like this and Redo of Healer because of the lack of alternatives. I guess that also makes you protective of it and willing to twist yourself into defending the clearly offensive stuff that you wouldn't otherwise, because of the feeling that if this goes away there won't be anything else. I guess the same is true of the isekai defenders...
I might be a slight fan of R-rated shows but I avoided Redo and if I finish Harem, it will be out of morbid curiosity. I had no idea this show would turn as it has and am watching several much better non-R alternatives. Not defending anything, witness item #2 above. And we have seen some good isekai in the recent past, so only a defender of good shows. Painting with a broad brush...?
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Right so... what exactly happened at the beginning of episode 7? I couldn't see a damn thing and I also didn't understand a damn thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

well compared to how shield hero and how not to summon a demon lord use the slave aspect in their storyline, its kinda tame if you ask me.

at least its not redo of healer's level of grossness

Very Happy

That's one thing Redo of Healer achieved... it is now the gold standard for anybody who wants to say of another show, "Well, hey, at least its not Redo of Healer's level of grossness." But all kidding aside, you know what I at least appreciated about Redo? Both its protag and the show itself seemed to understand he was trash. With this pile, I get the sense the show really wants us to think the MC is a swell guy. *puke*
HannoX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This show has achieved an amazing trifecta. It manages to make fighting dungeon monsters, owning a busty slave girl, and sex boring.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Kinda wish they'd have accelerated the pace a little, at this rate we aren't even going to meet Sherry and him unlocking the greatest class ever.
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
Right so... what exactly happened at the beginning of episode 7? I couldn't see a damn thing and I also didn't understand a damn thing.

The guy was reduced to his component materials.
Quote:
compounded by dialogue like "Master, you can [bleep] a little harder." What word was she really saying?

If you watch the uncensored version it was pretty obvious that she was saying "thrust".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12