• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
which is why all of the stories in the mobile game isnt and will never be canon to the novels or the anime!

Actually, Astrea Records was confirmed to be canon by Omori himself. Argonaut hasn't been confirmed but people argue that it is. If anything I really wish they would animate AR because those events expand the lore and world quite a bit and answer several questions.

Quote:
I watched some of those videos when researching the article I wrote a couple of years ago about Memoria Freese], and frankly, you're not missing anything by just watching those videos. The game play aspect is actually somewhat of a nuisance when the story is being told, as the mechanics sometimes get forced in through cheesy means

I see. I don't recall any of those channels mentioning the gameplay and usually skip it in favor of event scenes so I only have an idea of what its like
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
AH YES! the season that would more or less put the possible death nail on the bell x ais shipping!

Uh, spoilers? Maybe, I don't know, haven't read the novels, but sounds like it, so please be cautious on your posts for us anime only watchers Smile

Quote:

which is why all of the stories in the mobile game isnt and will never be canon to the novels or the anime!

I mean, the major stories for the game are usually penned by the author, so personally I'd presume they're canon until the novels or author say otherwise. Other than Astrea, most of them take place far in the past, so it's probably not that important regardless though lol

edit:

GhostD wrote:

Actually, Astrea Records was confirmed to be canon by Omori himself. Argonaut hasn't been confirmed but people argue that it is. If anything I really wish they would animate AR because those events expand the lore and world quite a bit and answer several questions.

Funny enough, it looks like the author is releasing a LN adaptation this fall (Oct, Nov & Dec)

Personally, I'd love to see the Argonaut event get animated. Though I wouldn't complain if AR got animated either Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:15 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
AH YES! the season that would more or less put the possible death nail on the bell x ais shipping!

Uh, spoilers? Maybe, I don't know, haven't read the novels, but sounds like it, so please be cautious on your posts for us anime only watchers Smile

It's not a spoiler because nothing in this arc should lead to that conclusion.

As for the mobile game content being canon, the current Knights of Fianna should be canon (it is being written by Omori), and if it is then Argonaut will have to be by default since there's some carry-over between the two. A lot of the other mobile game content definitely isn't, though events like Grand Day contain some references to canon past events (such as the mission 15 years earlier to kill Behemoth) that carry details that can probably be classified as canon, such as who from the current Orario participated in that event.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for the mobile game content being canon, the current Knights of Fianna should be canon (it is being written by Omori), and if it is then Argonaut will have to be by default since there's some carry-over between the two. A lot of the other mobile game content definitely isn't, though events like Grand Day contain some references to canon past events (such as the mission 15 years earlier to kill Behemoth) that carry details that can probably be classified as canon, such as who from the current Orario participated in that event.

Don't forget the game also adapted the side story novels that the anime skipped over. As well as continuing the Sword Oratoria adaptation after the anime ended.

Like past seasons, right now they're releasing extra episodes that tie into the new anime.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Thank you for confirming that.

Speaking of the mobile game (if it's not too far off topic), how is the new event? I skipped through it to be able to farm for drops, but not sure if I'll go back to watch the story.
I enjoyed Argonaut & Astrea, but thought Vesta was just ok and this one didn't really grab me on first glance.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Speaking of the mobile game (if it's not too far off topic), how is the new event? I skipped through it to be able to farm for drops, but not sure if I'll go back to watch the story.
I enjoyed Argonaut & Astrea, but thought Vesta was just ok and this one didn't really grab me on first glance.

Knights of Fianna can be considered a direct sequel to Argonaut. The first part's events take place 10 years later, while the second part's events take place 20 years later, and there have been multiple references to Argonaut (and guest appearances from Argonaut) so far. The story isn't a terribly complicated one, and it looks like it's following a standard betrayal/revenge/redemption narrative path, but it's still a solid story and seeing what character models from the current timeline are being used for this storyline is part of the fun. (There have been some neat surprises on that front, too.)

Sadly, it'll probably be another three weeks for part 3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

well, I have checked a majority if not all of omori's tweets for years and haven't seen one of them confirming that some of the stories from Memoria Frese are canon including Astrea records and knights.

if the author REALLY did make some of the story of the Memoria Frese mobile game canon, it would be not only unprecedented but may be EXTREMELY risky for omori to do so!

after all other authors had personal involvement in the writing of some movies and such, but they're not considered canon either (excluding for when kishimoto declared the 7th movie's ending canon) for its like opening up pandora's box if authors of popular series start making all the stories of mobile games and movies of said series canon which is why none of the others have done so when mobile gacha game version and movies/ova of their own series came out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:28 am Reply with quote
The Astraea record event from the mobile game is supposedly getting a light novel adaptation written by Oomori. According to the fan wiki, this was announced in June of this year.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
For Argonaut Oomori said he wanted to release it as a "Danmachi 0" at some point but the timing was never right until the game gave him the medium to tell the story.

Like most stuff like this, if it doesn't directly contradict the main story there's no reason not to consider it canon. Especially if the original author is involved.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
well, I have checked a majority if not all of omori's tweets for years and haven't seen one of them confirming that some of the stories from Memoria Frese are canon including Astrea records and knights.

if the author REALLY did make some of the story of the Memoria Frese mobile game canon, it would be not only unprecedented but may be EXTREMELY risky for omori to do so!

after all other authors had personal involvement in the writing of some movies and such, but they're not considered canon either (excluding for when kishimoto declared the 7th movie's ending canon) for its like opening up pandora's box if authors of popular series start making all the stories of mobile games and movies of said series canon which is why none of the others have done so when mobile gacha game version and movies/ova of their own series came out

I heard Omori deleted the tweet where he said AR is canon but like Key said a light novel adaptation of it is going to be released this October and like the event itself its going to be divided into 3 parts/vols. I think its Omori's way of canonizing the story.

---------------------------------------------------

I like that they didn't skimp on the bonding moments they had as a group because it showed their character development and had some funny moments too.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Great to see my boy Moss Man in action as a worthy opponent for the Level 4 Bell. It's cool to see Bell rebound off that wall he got swatted at instead of cratered into it. I wonder how, if we get it at all, spoiler[Moss Man's internal narration will be represented] in the anime.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see how much more confident, matured, and respected Bell is now.

Also looks like Ryu will show up in the dungeon this season, given she's in the Opening? It seems like she has a better chance than most of the supporting cast who are probably going to be relegated to mostly being in the Opening. Or maybe we'll get flashes of them like we did with Eina.

That was a great Mikoto scene! Dat Somersault Animation!

I wasn't expecting to see them fight Swamp Thing. Poor Chigusa.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:24 am Reply with quote
As a light novel reader, I have read all of the current releases so far! Love the novels collect the anime! Great story hate the app game, like the story! Games stupidity and unplayable!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I had always pictured the Moss Monster looking like The Grinch so it's fun seeing it here, animated. And the action scenes, though fast, did seem pretty well animated too, which was nice
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey can someone tell me (this is an honest question) Has the series calmed down on the rape compared to that one arc. I am trying to decide if I can just ignore the shark jumping out of the water or if I have to abandon the series as a whole
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15