• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:38 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I wonder how, if we get it at all, spoiler[Moss Man's internal narration will be represented] in the anime.

I rather doubt it. The series is already trimming some of Cassandra's internal narration, and I just don't see how the adaptation can work that in.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Hey can someone tell me (this is an honest question) Has the series calmed down on the rape compared to that one arc. I am trying to decide if I can just ignore the shark jumping out of the water or if I have to abandon the series as a whole

A bit unclear if you're being literal or figurative here, since the literal meaning does happen in episode 2. . . but assuming you're being figurative, remember that this series isn't Goblin Slayer. (And I question whether the figurative meaning even applies here, since the scene I believe you're talking about is in line with the series. Remember that the term "monster-lover" was used towards Bell as an insult.)

MFrontier wrote:
Also looks like Ryu will show up in the dungeon this season, given she's in the Opening? It seems like she has a better chance than most of the supporting cast who are probably going to be relegated to mostly being in the Opening.

She won't show up for a while, but you will eventually see more of her this season than in any previous one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:48 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

I heard Omori deleted the tweet where he said AR is canon but like Key said a light novel adaptation of it is going to be released this October and like the event itself it's going to be divided into 3 parts/vols. I think its Omori's way of canonizing the story.

well, that would explain why i haven't seen a mention of this in any of his tweets. however, it wasn't a surprise that he did delete it. he probably got received some backlash from the source material community aka those that read the light novels for having a storyline for a gacha mobile game canon to the source materials for it probably felt to those people that the announcement was nothing more than an ad promo scheme to get people to play the gacha game.

hence why i said in a previous comment about opening up pandora's box if other manga/light novel authors have done the same thing!

omori should have waited first, then if the danmachi community completely fall in love with that Memoria Frese event story like how they loved the argonaut event, have the story as a light novel as a mean to officially canonizing it.

he probably would NOT have gotten any flack if he had done it that way instead of just announcing on twitter out of nowhere!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:10 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Hey can someone tell me (this is an honest question) Has the series calmed down on the rape compared to that one arc. I am trying to decide if I can just ignore the shark jumping out of the water or if I have to abandon the series as a whole

I guess you mean the arc with the Ishtar Familia, and Phryne in particular? That is indeed all done now, and not the tone of S4. And while as an anime-only so far, I can't make you any promises, I doubt we'll revisit the theme.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
@ key
Quote:
The idiom "jumping the shark" was coined in 1985 by Jon Hein in response to a 1977 episode from the fifth season of the American sitcom Happy Days, in which Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.

I admit I did change up the phrase but I thought it was still fairly obvious, especially considering the context.

I am referring to the second half of the second season, the one with the fox girl who was a sex slave but surprise she was actually still a Virgin and Pure.

If we are back down to maybe an implied rape threat or two a season, and not showing attempted rapes on screen that would be a relief
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
@ key
Quote:
The idiom "jumping the shark" was coined in 1985 by Jon Hein in response to a 1977 episode from the fifth season of the American sitcom Happy Days, in which Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.

I admit I did change up the phrase but I thought it was still fairly obvious, especially considering the context.

Yes, I knew exactly what idiom you were referring to and where it came from. However, it is also a fact that a fish monster does jump out of the water to attack one character in episode 2 of this season, so I couldn't rule out the possibility that you were trying to crack a joke there.

Quote:
I am referring to the second half of the second season, the one with the fox girl who was a sex slave but surprise she was actually still a Virgin and Pure.

If we are back down to maybe an implied rape threat or two a season, and not showing attempted rapes on screen that would be a relief

Think you're overstating how prevalent that is in this franchise, but yes, be assured that you'll see nothing even close to it in this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Man, this Moss Huge is like an intelligent hunter stalking it's prey and tracking them. It even realizes fire is it's one weakness and tries to take Bell out before he can Fire Bolt it. How smart is this thing!?

I'm not surprised Lili took it hard when Bell vanished. Poor girl. She probably wouldn't appreciate it if she knew the new company he was keeping while she's worried about him though...

So we've got Bell alone (well, not for long, but...) and the rest of the group having to struggle up the dungeon with a few people infected by the Moss Huge and the thing probably already after them.

I guess Bell's reward for being able to defeat a rapid-fire bird monster swarm is a cute mermaid girl!
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Man, this Moss Huge is like an intelligent hunter stalking it's prey and tracking them. It even realizes fire is it's one weakness and tries to take Bell out before he can Fire Bolt it. How smart is this thing!?

I'm not surprised Lili took it hard when Bell vanished. Poor girl. She probably wouldn't appreciate it if she knew the new company he was keeping while she's worried about him though...

So we've got Bell alone (well, not for long, but...) and the rest of the group having to struggle up the dungeon with a few people infected by the Moss Huge and the thing probably already after them.

I guess Bell's reward for being able to defeat a rapid-fire bird monster swarm is a cute mermaid girl!

i wouldnt be so sure about that about that being a reward though.

considering omori dedication to have certain myths within danmachi to follow the IRL mythology ala Cassandra's curse, i fear that the mermaid he met might also be another enhanced species and not another xenos like wiene which means he may have gone from one life endangering encounter to a FAR WORSE ONE!

Quote:
It's also another good example of Lilly learning from others to build up her own knowledge base and critical thinking skills – Bell's not the only character who is developing in this series, and between Aisha, Daphne, and Finn, Lilly's really learning to come into her own as a strategist and a leader in her own right.

did i missed something for when the hell did braver finn did let alone have ANYTHING to do with lily gaining character development?????????? i can get the other two, since we have seen their interactions with lily, but where does finn fit in all of this?

especially considering that bell (from my knowledge) is the only member of the hestia familia to have a proper interaction with the main members of the loki familia NOT NAMED AIZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:40 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

did i missed something for when the hell did braver finn did let alone have ANYTHING to do with lily gaining character development?????????? i can get the other two, since we have seen their interactions with lily, but where does finn fit in all of this?

He's the one example of a prum being a leader and heroic that (as of this point in the story) Lilly's ever seen, and she's definitely seen him in action. Finn's set the bar much higher than any other named prum character, and I think that's a pretty big deal.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

especially considering that bell (from my knowledge) is the only member of the hestia familia to have a proper interaction with the main members of the loki familia NOT NAMED AIZ

Not remembering at the moment if it was cut out of the anime or not, but right before the Xenos stuff went down Fin literally asked her to marry him, have his kids, and help him make their race great again. And he generally considers her a person of interest as an accomplished Prum adventurer.

Fin is also something of an inspirational figure for Prums in general. Fin's whole thing is fighting for the recognition of his people and to show everyone that Prums can be legendary leaders and champions too.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
MagicianMan wrote:

Not remembering at the moment if it was cut out of the anime or not, but right before the Xenos stuff went down Fin literally asked her to marry him, have his kids, and help him make their race great again. And he generally considers her a person of interest as an accomplished Prum adventurer.

I believe it was cut out of the anime - it was from the volume that was all short stories, if I'm remembering correctly. (So maybe spoiler tags?)
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey just wait! Lilly is going to have to grow up quickly with Bell Away, the dungeon is unforgiving! Welf the smith is going to have to step up! On the fly no less in the dungeon! All are going to have to grow or be crushed by the sheer weight of the relentless dungeon that never sleeps only feeds on adventures. But who knows what the true future holds.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I believe it was cut out of the anime - it was from the volume that was all short stories, if I'm remembering correctly. (So maybe spoiler tags?)
Yeah, that was one of the parts of volume 8 tragically sliced from the anime. The best we get is the DanMemo event, which to be fair, had very amusing voiced segments.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they didn't have Haruhime boost Bell during that final fight...

Using Argonaut to boost his leap & run back to the others was nice to see.

Also surprising that the guy dressed up like the Moss man was still allive!
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Unfortunately, Haruhime's boost takes too long to charge to have been useful then.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Unfortunately, Haruhime's boost takes too long to charge to have been useful then.

Also, if you see how Moss Huge reacted when Bell used magic, if Haruhime had started chanting, she'd have become its prime target. It was only caught off guard by Firebolt because Quick Strike magic that doesn't require a chant is basically unheard of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15