• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Call of the Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:11 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
The manga was similar.

Two of the guys in the manga look vaguely like the Creepy Nuts guys (sans beard and with hair tied back). So since Kotoyama named the series for their song, he might've had them in mind while writing that scene, thinking ahead to a possible adaptation and using their song, and not wanting them to be portrayed as jerks. Or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:48 pm Reply with quote
So, uh, is this the "plot" that manga readers were clamoring for? Because if the series is going to be leaning on this going forward, what a letdown.
Even leaving aside the weird logistics of their politics, this council of jerk vampires was kind of annoying. The unavoidable pressure they put on the main duo stopped the good night vibes of the series dead on its tracks (and honestly this is the last vampire series where I expected to se a lopped off arm), and the way they're reframing Ko and Nazuna's relationship as something that must conform (and already mostly is) to arbitrary rules imposed by others runs counter to the sense of freedom and rebellion against social pressure that worked so so weill in previous episodes.

I'm not naive enough to think that this was a purely escapist series or anything like that, but the pressure of this new extended cast is enormous and basically tells that the others' lifestyle can and will only happen as long as they approve of it. And that's a bummer.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
Without being to Spoilery, this season's just going to be a slow paced SOL.

They're roughly adapting 1 volume into 3 episodes so Episode 12 will probably only adapt to the end of Volume 4 or might stop at spoiler[ The night at the school where the Detective makes her first appearance or straight after the "Maid Cafe" which would be a better end-point in some ways. ] .

Last nights episode adapted up to page 70 of Volume 3, there's 140 pages left which will probably make episodes 8 & 9 with 10-12 adapting Volume 4.

Loving Seri's adaptation - she could turn me anyday....

The whole romcom thing is just beyond Kou & Naz as neither of them have a romantic bone in their bodies. the other Vampires view humans simply as food or something to be made to fall in love so they can be converted into "Offspring" whereas Kou & Naz's relationship is simply supply & demand.

Last edited by Penrhos on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
I haven't read ahead in the manga, but this episode adapts the beginning of volume 3, so I wouldn't necessarily expect us to have hit the main plot yet. To me, it feels like these other vampires feel threatened by a human leaking their existence if they know what they are but don't intend to become one. Now that they understand that turning into a vampire is a long term goal, rather than a short term one, I'd expect them to stay off Nazuna's back for now.

I think this episode primarily introduces more characters to the cast to be used later, along with adding a bit more to the lore. I don't think this is a plot progression episode.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
I haven't read ahead in the manga, but this episode adapts the beginning of volume 3, so I wouldn't necessarily expect us to have hit the main plot yet. To me, it feels like these other vampires feel threatened by a human leaking their existence if they know what they are but don't intend to become one. Now that they understand that turning into a vampire is a long term goal, rather than a short term one, I'd expect them to stay off Nazuna's back for now.

I think this episode primarily introduces more characters to the cast to be used later, along with adding a bit more to the lore. I don't think this is a plot progression episode.

Episode 8 is going to be interesting for you.....

This episode is indeed setting up more Vampire lore.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Feels like the plot has finally kicked into a new gear with the introduction of Seri and the council of Vampire Waifu's (all voiced by top-tier female seiyuu).

Sudden shift from slice of life to supernatural action!

I feel like Seri and Kabura are my type, especially with their VA's, but Niko is voiced by Eri Kitamura...

I can kind of see why Nazuna would not get along with these other ladies. She's much more chill and relaxed about it and doesn't seem like the type to enjoy girl talk or being as manipulative a romantic as the other female vampires. Though it seems like she has finally settled on Ko being her offspring.

Ha ha, Ko cutting these women and their flirtations down to size!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
...the way they're reframing Ko and Nazuna's relationship as something that must conform (and already mostly is) to arbitrary rules imposed by others runs counter to the sense of freedom and rebellion against social pressure that worked so so weill in previous episodes.

...basically tells that the others' lifestyle can and will only happen as long as they approve of it. And that's a bummer.

I don't see this development as suggesting that the vampire society's rules are right and must be followed, any more than it has suggested that human society's rules are. It just seems to be saying that day or night, human or vampire, if you're going to travel the path of a maverick, it will cost you. That's just a fact, at least in the real world. Freedom isn't free, as they say. It doesn't mean you can't rebel and "be free," living on your own terms. It just means that you have to decide what's most important to you.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I was bothered by the dull designs of the other three vampires; they looked way too similar. I know everyone is Japanese but my lord, at least give them different hair colors or eye colors....SOMETHING lol The schoolgirl, Nazuna, and the 'leader' are the only ones who look unique!

Aside from that, good episode.

DRINKING SOMEONE ELSE'S COLA IS RUDE I will bite you if you do that to me. >:[
(soda fiend lol)
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
Without being to Spoilery, this season's just going to be a slow paced SOL.

Pretty much this. This series remains a comfy slice of life at it's core, whether or not it has longer story arcs/fights.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Something else, too, in regards to the new femme fatales we met this episode is that spoiler[not all of them are women...]

Last edited by Akcoll99 on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Something else, too, in regards to the new femme fatales we met this episode is that spoiler[not all of them are femmes...]

'femme' can be used for male and female.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Akcoll99 wrote:
Something else, too, in regards to the new femme fatales we met this episode is that spoiler[not all of them are femmes...]

'femme' can be used for male and female.

*Google searches* Huh...so it can...well, updated my post then...
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Something that I've been wondering about for a while: what's with all the lemon imagery in the ending animation? Lemon on turntable, lemon dripping juice, Nazuna drinking lemon drink....
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Something that I've been wondering about for a while: what's with all the lemon imagery in the ending animation? Lemon on turntable, lemon dripping juice, Nazuna drinking lemon drink....
The lemon stuff has to be a directorial move, it's not something I recall seeing in the manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
I assumed it was because lemons are associated with, um, sexy times? Like "lemons" are sexually explicit fan fics (no actual sex = "limes," so maybe that would've been more appropriate?). See the lyrics of Led Zeppelin's "Lemon Song." Don't google lemon party... Smile

That said, lemons are pretty ubiquitous in anime. Lemons and alpacas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7