• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Call of the Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 was splendid. Once again, they did Anko perfect. The VA and animators convey an inseparable mix of unhinged and playfulness. I love that after 11 episodes of supernatural experiences, it's a simple phone call to the police that evokes the most fear. We're getting a little less of the slice of life themes and more existential stuff, which is a nice change of pace. Very Happy
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode 12 was splendid. Once again, they did Anko perfect. The VA and animators convey an inseparable mix of unhinged and playfulness. I love that after 11 episodes of supernatural experiences, it's a simple phone call to the police that evokes the most fear. We're getting a little less of the slice of life themes and more existential stuff, which is a nice change of pace. Very Happy

Well, cops are scarier than any literal monster.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

I thought she might have faked calling the police to pull Ko's chain, but then the squad car showed up.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the truth about vampires fall in the middle between what Ko thinks about vampires as just eccentric (and sometimes dangerous) yet still very much alive beings of the night versus Anko who sees them as nothing more than supernatural predators that need to be exterminated. I can understand why Ko doesn't want to see them all get killed, especially the ones he knows, but I think he also has more experience with the exceptions to the rules than he does typical vampires, which Anko might be more experienced with.

Which isn't to say that Anko is a completely rational woman, it seemed like she was becoming more unhinged and creepier the longer her talk with Ko went on, although I wonder if her hatred of vampires is purely clinical.

Does Ko need to become a vampire to get what he wants? Mahiru understands his social problems but doesn't see that he needs to become a vampire to deal with them. And Mahiru implies he won't be friends with Ko if he becomes a vampire.

Anko finally made the point that maybe Ko just doesn't feel romantic urges...we know he has a healthy libido, but he's never seemed to have strong feelings or understanding of love or really seemed that interested in it beyond his goal. But is that changing with Nazuna?

Nazuna herself reveals how lonely and boring it is being a vampire and it's not the cure all and endless entertainment Ko thinks it is. It seems like Nazuna's time with Ko and having him experience the joy she's been missing has lead to her feeling fulfilled again, which is part of why she cares so much about Ko.

I'm glad they finally explained Ko's home life...parents are divorced, dad is out of the picture, and the mom works all the time and is seemingly oblivious to what her son is going through or that he keeps ditching school. Or maybe she's disinterested and doesn't care? I'm really curious about Ko's relationship with his mom. I thought for a second Anko was calling her instead of the police.

I was not expecting to get some Hatsuka screentime in the finale. It'll be interesting to see what note they end on.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if the truth about vampires fall in the middle between what Ko thinks about vampires as just eccentric (and sometimes dangerous) yet still very much alive beings of the night versus Anko who sees them as nothing more than supernatural predators that need to be exterminated. I can understand why Ko doesn't want to see them all get killed, especially the ones he knows, but I think he also has more experience with the exceptions to the rules than he does typical vampires, which Anko might be more experienced with.

I don't think that's true either.
Kou might have the bias of only knowing the vampires that have brought him no (immediate) harm because otherwise there wouldn't be much of Kou moving around. But likewise, the vampires Anko has needed to meet are exclusively the ones that are related to her job: the ones that have caused serious trouble.
That said, the series is clearly on Kou's side: vampires are just human. We have spent a long time watching that unfold, and even if they're dangerous and can kill and stuff... well that's true of humans as a whole too, isn't it? We have no shortage of murderers, kidnappers and unhinged people bringing harm to their peers. Vampires in this setting are all the same, they're just more (hipocritically) reclusive.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Great review, Steve! I never noticed the color palette thing!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Great review, Steve! I never noticed the color palette thing!

Yes. The review, for me, added some layers of meaning to this silly cartoon about teenagers and vampires.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Anko scared me a lot in episode 12...like please back away from the young boy, creeper lady Laughing
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This was such a great episode to end the season on. And in such a way that even if it doesn't get renewed(I'm sure it will), you can be somewhat satisfied. This was the show I was most anticipating this season, and it never disappointed me with it's chill, perfectly-adapted vibes. <3
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
my brain doesn't even unlock its courtroom doors before 9pm.

Preach, my brother! Very Happy

The one thought that kept running through my head during this series is that Ko is too young to turn into a vampire, and the one year rule is really stupid. If he decides to dump her and go back to the day at some point, then they might be somewhat justified to kill him in a kind of self-defense, but otherwise, let the kid's body mature before you lock him into an eternal age. Turn him now and you're stuck with a scrawny kid to babysit forever, his body and brain still immature. Who wants that? If he'll stick around, give him another 5-6 years to grow up. Smile

I really hope this gets another season. This one was a lot of fun.
moozooh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While it's not a transformative take on the source (which, to be fair, stands plenty well on its own artistic merits)

Oh no, I respectfully disagree. The adaptation has managed to elevate the material beyond the added music or color palette—it improved greatly on the pacing and paneling and added small details that weren't in the manga to begin with. There are tons of scenes I can think of that feel flat in the manga but are super fun in the anime.

Kudos to the director, this is a job well done.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
my brain doesn't even unlock its courtroom doors before 9pm.

Preach, my brother! Very Happy

Sign me up to Club Nocturn too.

I've really enjoyed the feel of this series. The night time is my natural habitat too. Not that I get to do it these days (jobs and all that boring adult crap), but in my Uni days I loved drifting around campus or the city in the early hours as Ko does. I didn't run into any quirky vampires (or anyone much), but the team did a fantastic job of how 1am feels. How paradoxically vivid a place can be in the dark.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Hatsuka's a [MOD EDIT: Do not use the t-word to describe feminine looking men/boys.] Which I guess the clues were there all along, but I guess it adds a new perspective to vampire's for Ko. And the fact that vampires' know about as much about each other and their world as humans do about humans makes sense and I guess is also an excuse for Ko never getting a lot of info/answers.

Those offspring fervently worshipping the ground Hatsuka walks on is...concerning.

It makes sense to me that gender wouldn't be a problem when it comes to what Ko is attracted to...but at the same time he is committed to Nazuna through thick and thin, which in its own way shows his true love and feelings for her.

Niko does not mess around when it comes to love talk, but she's a sucker for love all the same. And if Nazuna's feelings for Ko are genuine and she's willing to get serious about it, they have Niko's full support. Also her look with her hair down...wow!

Ko pulled a Nazuna on Nazuna! Bringing things full-circle!

Ko now wants to be a vampire not just for his own sake and desires but for Nazuna's sake as well, because he wants to be with her, have fun with her, and make sure she's never lonely. That's practically a marriage proposal. And Nazuna responds in kind with a passionate kiss and swearing to become a vampire worth falling for.

A pretty spectacular and satisfying finale, all around. Now I'm going to check out the manga!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Last scene was so great; I love role-reversal book-ends and I love kissing. xD

This will probably be a 'buy' for me once the Bluray comes out. And it's Sentai so we shouldn't have long to wait!

I think the blood-sucking is having an effect on (the very likable) Kou by now. He's able to do physical moves that should not be possible for a normal human kid.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of understanding ourselves, let me take one last opportunity to emphasize how much I love this series' take on vampire lore, i.e. having Hatsuka straight up admit vampires really don't know anything about themselves. That's so smart!

That's so dumb!

A group of vampires get together on a regular basis that consist of multigenerations and that gossip at every chance; I let the "love is how we turn humans into vampires" lore go by even though it's subjective as all hell but I draw the line at long living beings who take no interest in how their brethren die.

No stories, no legends, no curiosity, no myths, no way!

The reason they're so up in arms about Ko is self preservation. "Oh no, we must not be found out!" Basic writing rule: Never let a good story hook get in the way of a ... good story? For me, the whole thing has gone downhill since the introduction of Anko, for several reasons.

1 The story keeps setting up Predator/prey relationships... Anko calls vampires evil while hitting on the 14 year old boy; Hatsuka mind rapes his offspring and it's "cute"... but then quietly backs away from them because it doesn't want to pull the concept out into the open. The story keeps it entirely subtext but still keeping the hunter/hunted relationship reading viable. Anko called vampires "evil" when in this story, vampires only seem to kill people when creating more vampires or for their own safety.

2 Not once did Ko answer any of the people asking him, "Why do you want to become a vampire?", with "Why wouldn't you want to?" In a world where you can either choose to be predator or prey... why is that even a question?

3 Vampire lore. The vampires don't go out in the day but there's no "reason" as to why?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7