• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: When Will Ayumu Make His Move?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Poor Urushi...it's not easy being the flattest girl in your friend group! Although at least they're great gal pals anyways.

There is a legit temple people pray to for their breasts to grow? That's...so Japan.

Bathing beauties and girls in yukata's! You can't beat that! Oh, I guess they never did do a beach episode...

You really have to admire how committed Rin is to helping the guy she once had a crush on get together with his actual crush. Like, she doesn't even seem to dwell on it that much (but seeing him say he loves her still stings a little) and she still pushes forward to help him.

So we've got Urushi praying for Ayumu to beat him (at a love temple no less)...and Rin has been training him...maybe this late-night shogi date over the phone might really go somewhere!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
For me this series centers around Urushi's facial expressions. I get lost into her eyes and this latest episode swims in them. I agree with your assessment of what might happen in the last episode and if it does come to fruition I'll be totally disappointed and, to be honest, will expect. This series is as meh as they come, I like the characters, but if I yawn any further I'll hawk this show as the perfect remedy for insomnia.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised there wasn't a confession (Ayumu still won't settle for a handicap win) but I can only imagine how ticked off Rin will be after all that training, that whole spiel where she basically revealed her feelings to Ayumu, and then giving them privacy and trying to move on...only for Ayumu to not confess.

But at least Urushi realized her feelings. That was a nice scene. And maybe Takeru and Sakurako kissed?

This was a really cute and fun show over all for me.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really get why they were playing with a handicap. Ayumu has been playing her without a handicap a bunch, is there any in-universe explanation for why he would settle for playing with one after Rin's big training montage? Or is it just the writer not wanting to move things forward?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I didn't really get why they were playing with a handicap. Ayumu has been playing her without a handicap a bunch, is there any in-universe explanation for why he would settle for playing with one after Rin's big training montage? Or is it just the writer not wanting to move things forward?

It looks like the anime might have ended in volume 7 (it looks like a lot of one-off chapters were skipped in the adaptation; volume 6 is when Rin started training Ayumu, but before the trip), but unfortunately I don't have a copy of volume 7 yet (it was released on 9/6, and it only now went on sale on RS). I might come back later to share an explanation if nobody else does by the time I get it.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Been a while since I read the manga, but IIRC it’s either outright stated or strongly implied that Urushi was playing Ayumu with a handicap every single time since she first proposed playing like that.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Yup! It ends as Meh as possible. Not that I was expecting any other ending, but can you at least spice things up a tad? Such a waste of great anime female glassy eyes, (sigh) such a waste....it's basically blahnime.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

It looks like the anime might have ended in volume 7 (it looks like a lot of one-off chapters were skipped in the adaptation; volume 6 is when Rin started training Ayumu, but before the trip), but unfortunately I don't have a copy of volume 7 yet (it was released on 9/6, and it only now went on sale on RS). I might come back later to share an explanation if nobody else does by the time I get it.

I just got volume 7, but I skimmed ahead and unfortunately it ends right before the class trip starts. So the anime probably ends in volume 8 (or slightly after), which is due in November, so I can't yet see what the aftermath of Ayumu's win after the class trip is.

But, chapter 47 (volume 4), which takes place between Christmas and Valentine's Day, establishes that up to that point they have been playing with a six piece handicap. But Ayumu has gotten good enough that Usrushi is no longer able to win with that handicap. So Ayumu asks to play against a four piece handicap going forward. Presumably, that continued to be the case through the point where the anime ended; a conversation in the next chapter says Ayumu always loses against a four piece handicap. Also, Ayumu thinks to himself that he can't wait to get good enough to beat her without a handicap so he can ask her out.

The anime skips a lot of chapters that don't progress the plot, though the handicap details probably should have been important enough to include. Though, since this season is likely the only anime adaptation that the manga will get, I understand the desire to skip other chapters that are unrelated to the plot.

Also, I find that the humor works much better in the manga compared to the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2