• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Engage Kiss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Is this show 1 cour or two cours?
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Its one cour with rumors that it's going to be 2 cours
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Its one cour with rumors that it's going to be 2 cours
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 am Reply with quote
The last few episodes had given Ayano a good lead, so it makes sense they'd try to re-focus on Kisara and her relationship with Shu. Shu does seem to have his own kind of affection for Kisara even if he is still using her. And in true yandere fashion Kisara is fine with putting her mark on him and making her his by devouring his memories and leaving him empty so long as he's hers and she can eliminate any woman that gets in her way.

Poor Ayano doesn't get to do much but reflect on the fact that Shu emotionally cheated on her and Kisara and how she has no clue as to the number of women Shu's been with. But in all honesty the one thing she's got going for her is she's seemingly the one woman he's been with that he wanted to be with and didn't use the relationship as a tool like he has everybody else. She's the one exception to Sharon's statement about him using women.

So not only did Shu and Sharon actually knock boots ("Sharon the Chaste" my butt), but Sharon tried to kill him and Shu knocked her out with his dick. Man, I love anime.

(Culture Maruto giving us a full nun-strip scene with emphasis on her taking her stockings off and leaving her nun habit on).

Sharon honestly seemed cooler before she put the armor on. But I guess you can't beat demon tentacles (unless you're Kisara).

Judging by Sharon's frustration at Kisara calling her out, I think Sharon did feel something for Shu and was angry over what happened, but it seems like the real reason she's here is to address the major D-Hazard that's about to wake up in Bayron City. Final Boss, anyone? I wonder if it'll be strong enough to force all of Shu's girlfriends to team-up.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
If there's one thing you can say about Shu it's that the man's got game.

The comedy and faces are on point as usual. Absolute lmao at Kisara dropping the netorare on Sharon, she'll never financially recover. I feel bad for Kisara never getting more than Shu's care, but she's willing to use him until he's a husk, so as long as they're happy?

Hopefully next episode we get to see that spear come into play.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So not only did Shu and Sharon actually knock boots ("Sharon the Chaste" my butt), but Sharon tried to kill him and Shu knocked her out with his dick. Man, I love anime.

(Culture Maruto giving us a full nun-strip scene with emphasis on her taking her stockings off and leaving her nun habit on).

Sharon honestly seemed cooler before she put the armor on. But I guess you can't beat demon tentacles (unless you're Kisara).

Maybe her title is supposed to be ironic? Someone in Church admin has a giggle to themselves every time they submit a report using it. Though humor doesn't seem to be the church's style, they strike me as the overly serious weight of the world types.

Agree with you on Ayano being the one honest relationship Shu seems to have had. It's entirely reasonable for her to lack confidence in that. Shu is a bit of a dirtbag after all. A tragic one, and not a totally irredeemable one. But poison sex is pretty low. (Not that Sharon was any better).
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are much better anime airing this season

I'll be genuine and say I can't think of more than like, maybe 3 shows this season that are more entertaining than Engage Kiss
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Quote:
There are much better anime airing this season

I'll be genuine and say I can't think of more than like, maybe 3 shows this season that are more entertaining than Engage Kiss
Im with you on this. Other than call of the night, I think this is probably my favorite show airing right now. I never know what to expect and it has a high level of drama that keeps me engaged. Of the big shows airing right now CotE has been a poor adaptation, Part Timer has been rather dull, Overlord has been more of the same, Made in Abyss is still pretty good. As far as originals are concerned I'll take this over Lycoris, which outside of the Chisat/Takina dynamic really isn't doing much of anything
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Watched episodes 1-3. I didn't dislike the first two; but three so far is the strongest. I want to finish this story, along with Call of the Night.

Don't care about Ayano at all; she just sorta comes off as a b*tch. I do appreciate that this anime acknowledges "NO, YOU CANNOT RUN IN HIGH HEELS; TAKE THEM OFF"

...do you know how hard it is to find that realization in action shows!? Laughing

Kisara's adorable and I'm rooting for her. :] STEAL THAT BOY LOL

Shuu losing his memories every time he uses power is pretty dark....but again, I don't care about the Ayano x Shuu ship....I hope he can somehow stay with Kisara; she sure does love him enough hehe.

Quote:
CotE has been a poor adaptation

What makes you say that? Confused

I've only seen its manga fans praising it left and right....
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I wrote:
I don't know... I'm leaning towards "genuine but likely to end up dead soon"

/smug. Though not as soon as predicted.

MFrontier wrote:
Miles (his partner and who took in Shu as a child) seems on the up-and-up.

Sweepstake winner.

Nobody expected the blonde haired kid to actually be something. Though he's still the most annoying thing on the planet.

Shu has so many holes in his memory these days he's struggling to actually process his thoughts because he's lost too much of the framework he needs to fit new information into. He's barely functioning beyond an almost instinctual need to pursue the mystery of the mine attack.

I'm not sure there's light at the end of the tunnel for any of the cast, but it's an entertaining ride while we get to wherever the line terminates.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Nobody expected the blonde haired kid to actually be something. Though he's still the most annoying thing on the planet.
I think it was pretty clear when his sisters were talking about him in front of the mayor a few episodes ago who he was, if only by process of elimination.

None of these twists are particularly surprising (if you recognize typical anime story-telling conventions), and I hope the show leans into going nuts with things rather than trying to present mysteries.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that hand popping out of the rock is actually Shu's sister? Has she become a demon like Kisara?

I thought Mikami was too straight-laced to not be suspicious, but it turns out he was just that straight-laced and it ended up getting him killed. I feel kind of bad now. Miles' connection to Shu is why I suspected him less, even if now in hindsight it just made him more suspicious.

Ayano showing up at the exact point they were considering her and her mother as suspects because of Kisara was priceless. Kind of reminded me of In/Spectre.

So you're telling me Shu knew who the Big Bad was from pillow talk with Sharon? How much of the plot could've been resolved if Shu still had his memories of all the various women he's slept with? If Shu had remembered more about Miles, could we have avoided all of this?

Mikhail being the top cop in Bayron City was definitely...a reveal. Although he still seems oblivious to how unpopular he is. I love his logic for why it's okay for him to spy on his sister in the shower.

Oh hey, Ayano in pants! Neat.

Shu's shocked reaction and everyone's faces when Shu got into the car with Miles basically said everything that needed to be said. I guess the question is how much we're going to find out in the next episode.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Strong Kisara this episode, what with accusing Ayano of devil deals and waiting for even the slightest reason to bisect Sharon. Great choreography on the garage chase too. I feel like going back to prior episodes to recontextualize everything that Miles's said; him stationing a fall guy across from Shu's apartment is a remarkably showy move.

Now that Miles has fully charged his tattoo, we might see the other Demon Hunter organizations from the OP play a role. Assuming Kisara's not on top of his car.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I found the episode pretty entertaining myself- but then, the show smartly uses the fallout from the two plot threads I am interested in (Shu's sordid sexcapades, and Kisara's memory munchies,) as flavoring for the fairly unremarkable secondary characters and narrative aspirations. It even benefitted the mystery angle- never guessed Miles because I was busy being entertained by trashy spectacle.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, that review of episode 8 is particularly...harsh. This episode was fun and I'm sorry the reviewer seems to be expecting a completely different show from the one the rest of us are watching and enjoying...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5