• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Engage Kiss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So I assume those folks who walk by in the ending was the show pulling a Takt Op. Destiny, going "just wanted to make sure you know this show wasn't made because anybody had an interesting story they wanted to tell, we're just here to try to sell a gacha game that'll shut down in 6 months".
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's hilarious they got Akari Kito for Kanna and she's mostly just screaming and yelling until the very last few minutes of the series.

I was surprised they left Kisara amnesiac, but I guess they'll build her back up again, and her feelings and possessiveness for Shu are still relatively the same. Maybe she can have a better relationship with Ayano, though I doubt it.

All that fuss over Asmodeus and Kisara takes him out fairly easily.

Ayano's narrative relevance pretty much ended by the halfway point, huh? Like, other than getting Linfa to tell them where Kanna was (which wasn't really that vital), she contributed nothing to the plot other than shooting stuff. Even all her pining for Shu went nowhere because he barely paid attention to her even when he got his memories back, and she ends up the butt of jokes for how she's still not over Shu. Her burgeoning friendship with Sharon also soured because Sharon made a joke about sleeping with Shu. I feel like Ayano was probably the most wasted character in the series and she was supposed to be the 3rd lead and Kisara's main rival.

Although her comforting an amnesiac Kisara and pointing guns at both her and Kanna were good scenes.

And just when it looks like Shu is finally about to seal the deal with Kisara...Kanna arrives as a new challenger who will broker no other woman having her big brother. And the show returns to it's romcom beginnings of three jealous ladies at each others' throats for Shu and blowing up his apartment. In a way, this is a fitting ending.

Well, now the series will continue on in mobile game form, but there's a rumor they'll announce the next cour at an upcoming January event, though I'm curious where they'd develop the story from here (Justice for Ayano).
Dnautics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I think the only thing the show had going for it was the weird love triangle thing going on. I also think it was stronger in the first half than the second half. Shu and Kisara were the only decent characters and Shu definitely didn't change much from the first episode. The ending was better than I anticipated though, anything to get away from the boring political drama and the shitty side characters.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
I think the only thing the show had going for it was the weird love triangle thing going on. I also think it was stronger in the first half than the second half. Shu and Kisara were the only decent characters and Shu definitely didn't change much from the first episode. The ending was better than I anticipated though, anything to get away from the boring political drama and the shitty side characters.

To be honest I felt like the show was missing something when they kept the focus away from Ayano and the trio's messy dynamic with each other.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wild how most of the show's problems got solved by Shu actually trusting and opening up to people instead of just using them. Pity Kisara had to lobotomize herself to teach him, though. At any rate, this was definitely the show I had the most fun watching each week. I'd gladly watch a second season!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5