• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Reveals Gunbuster English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:36 am Reply with quote
v_i wrote:
TAJ is gone, DuArt is gone, Animaze is gone, Intersound is gone, Coastal Carolina is gone, New Generation and PCB Productions really only does games now, Ocean hasn't done anime in forever, and Salami only seems to do an anime every few years. The hard truth is that anime dubbing just doesn't make money unless you're doing it on the super cheap.
It's a shame about Animaze, they did some great dubs: Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Code Geass, Stand Alone Complex, Big O. And even titles like outlaw Star, Trigun and Ninja Scrolls were better than your average dub of the era.
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they'll dub Diebuster too.
I can't see any reason why they couldn't, I've always assumed the only reason it wasn't dubbed was because Gunbuster wasn't.
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:37 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
v_i wrote:
TAJ is gone, DuArt is gone, Animaze is gone, Intersound is gone, Coastal Carolina is gone, New Generation and PCB Productions really only does games now, Ocean hasn't done anime in forever, and Salami only seems to do an anime every few years. The hard truth is that anime dubbing just doesn't make money unless you're doing it on the super cheap.
It's a shame about Animaze, they did some great dubs: Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Code Geass, Stand Alone Complex, Big O. And even titles like outlaw Star, Trigun and Ninja Scrolls were better than your average dub of the era.
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they'll dub Diebuster too.
I can't see any reason why they couldn't, I've always assumed the only reason it wasn't dubbed was because Gunbuster wasn't.

Animaze shutting down was actually due to Kevin Seymour's passing, and not economic reasons. It's clear they loved dubbing anime, and they were the gold standard for years for a reason.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
v_i: Oh, well, at least the parodies in Lupin came through unscathed. Unless Tokyo Crisis removed it's Mission Impossible riff?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:16 am Reply with quote
v_i wrote:
Animaze shutting down was actually due to Kevin Seymour's passing, and not economic reasons. It's clear they loved dubbing anime, and they were the gold standard for years for a reason.
As well as the founder, he was also an ADR Director and worked as a voice actor in a few titles. I guess he was too important to replace.
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:18 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
v_i wrote:
As well as the founder, he was also an ADR Director and worked as a voice actor in a few titles. I guess he was too important to replace.

The amount of hats Kevin Seymour wore is insane, and we may never truly know everything he did due to the numerous pseudonyms he used.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
I checked out Nola Klop's page and apparently she also voices in Dutch dubs. That's so cool!

igiari21 wrote:
I don't even know who half of these people are... Shame that Discotek continues to use Sound Cadence. Discotek does great work and the dubs never rise above mediocre IMO.
New talent is always a good thing if you ask me. Not sure why people would complain about not recognizing names. As long as they do a great job, there should be no issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
v_i: FFS, that Chariots cue is Fair Use . Married with Children had that song, and no one lawyered up over it.

The Japanese Blu-ray Box had a newly done 5.1 track which didn't have that cue.

From pages 2 & 3 of this thread:
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/jp-asian-blu-ray-dvd-and-streaming-industry-news/4595-top-wo-nerae-gunbuster-ova

Quote:
Got my copy this afternoon, and I've skimmed through it somewhat, found something interesting too. Remember the R1 song change fiasco from a few years ago? Turns out we aren't the only one's shorted. Now nobody freak out, this isn't a cancel worthy issue since there are two audio streams. The 2.0 has the original song intact, no chagnes, all is good. It's the remastered audio that's got the changed montage song.

Quote:
It's technically not a remastered track. It's a re-done audio track. I'm not quite sure of the reason - maybe they didn't have all the original audio master tapes necessary to create a proper 5.1 mix anymore - but at any rate they decided to recreate the entire audio track from scratch, dub, SFX, music and all. It sounds very different, and I'm not sure if I like it or not. Right now I'm using headphones so I'll listen to the original mix anyway, but on a proper setup I'd be more like to pick the 5.1 track.

Quote:
The vocal track is completely new - they really did redub the entire thing from scratch. Some of the BGM is also different, as can be easily evidenced by the opening notes. As for the SFX, it's hard to tell apart, as there are mix volume adjustments and spatial effects added. There are definite differences there too however, such as the background noise while in the mecha while listening to the speech in the first ep.

Of course we'll need confirmation but I wouldn't be surprised if we get the 5.1 remix only, especially given Bandai Visual's track record (see the Patlabor movies under Maiden Japan, Akira under Funi and the Gundam movie trilogy outside of the UK).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:17 am Reply with quote
NJ: Thanks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
Anime acquisitions are just by a few media conglomerates nowadays, and they prefer to do dubs in-house. So, like syndication, not much 3rd-parties remain

Also, anime don't get on US TV much anymore, so they no longer get those TV monies neither to afford other studios

Plus, the death of hentai dubs - those used to be reliable source of quick studio revenue because many people bought those but --let's face it-- not for the authenticities Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
they haven't completely died out. Media Blasters started dubbing hentai again a couple years back and release a few every year
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I still own the US Renditions VHS versions of eps 3-6 (and the Manga Video version of 1 and 2, which was just the USR version with their name on it), as well as two of the older DVDs....while I will give the dub a fair chance, I'll be very happy to have the subtitles available...as well as it being individual eps with the original openings and science lessons.
gloworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:47 pm Reply with quote
v_i wrote:
I stand corrected! My point still stands in that they're doing far, far less anime then they used to.

They've been doing various card/toy tie-in anime almost continuously for the last decade, and just recently they did Zoids Wild and Future Boy Conan. And are probably working on Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai and more World Trigger for Toei. And New Generation recently dubbed the Eureka Seven movies and Ikki Tousen OVAs. Just because these companies were forced to refocus on other types of projects when the "old guard" anime distributors went under, it doesn't mean they won't happily get back in the game whenever someone offers them a job.

v_i wrote:

Animaze's last output was in 08/09, Seymour passed away in 2014. In that period, it looks like Seymour freelanced a bit for other dubbing companies (Kekkaishi), while his usual partners at Magnitude 8 Post and ZRO Limit moved on to produce dubs for video games without him. And then Magnitude 8 Post's founder wrote a rather scathing note about the financial realities of the industry when they shut down in 2015.

It's possible he could have gotten the band back together if someone hired him again in 13-14, but Animaze had been defunct for years when that happened.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote
v_i wrote:
Your options for dubbing anime right now, assuming you're not Funiroll (In-house, Okatron 5000, Studio Nano), Sentai (Seraphim Productions), or Netflix (VSI) are essentially the following:
NYAV Post (expensive) {Discotek has worked with them on Memories}
Studiopolis (expensive)
Bang Zoom (very expensive)
Kocha Sound (even more greenhorn than Sound Cadence)
Iyuno • SDI (they're infamous for a reason)

Would it be possible for anime that's licensed by Discotek but are streaming on Crunchyroll to be dubbed? Or would the dub be only on Crunchyroll?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:22 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Sound Cadence has done a lot of good work recently, so I'm excited to hear what they do with Gunbuster. Marissa Lenti directed the dub of Kageki Shoujo which I just finished (very late) and that dub was excellent. New talent doesn't necessarily mean bad talent.

This.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
I read that there are some complaints about the studio doing the English dub for "Gunbuster." For someone like me,I'm just happy a dub is happening in the first place! This show's long deserved an English dub and I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm just going to wait patiently for when the dub is finally released. Personally,I don't care which studio does it. Just so long as it gets done. It's been long overdue and this show deserves it.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3