• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Skeptic's Guide to Monogatari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:01 am Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
"you should watch this DESPITE these elements that even I admit are all over the place in this show" there is so much anime to watch with experimental visuals and nonstandard storytelling without these elements yet you chose to watch this and write as long thinkpiece analyzing it. I don't believe you really hate "objectification" you just feel obligated to say you do

You can enjoy something as a whole without liking every single aspect of it. It’s that tension between the “good” and the “bad” that inspired me to write the article…
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
I watched Zaregoto and was only barely able to get through that, so I think I'll stay away from Monogatari. I've tried to read Pretty Boy Detective Club 3 times and fell off by the 4th chapter every time, so I think I'm just not cut out for Nisioisin stuff
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I watched Zaregoto and was only barely able to get through that, so I think I'll stay away from Monogatari. I've tried to read Pretty Boy Detective Club 3 times and fell off by the 4th chapter every time, so I think I'm just not cut out for Nisioisin stuff

I think Zaregoto contained all of Monogatari's flaws and strengths exponentiated. It's a decent indication that (animation-)style alone won't make up for static dialogue, even clever static dialogue (and my Japanese is far too weak to pick up on the cleverness of the dialogue). SHAFT really let themselves get carried away on that one.

I was a SHAFT fan-boy, and... maybe Zaregoto cured me of that.

But: don't let Zaregoto scare you away from Bakemonogatari, at least. I can see dropping off after the first season, though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I just wonder what the schedule of punishments is. Maybe something like this?

Toothbrush scene = slap
Shinobu/Tsukihi bathing scenes = slap + divorce
Mayoi molestation scenes = slap + divorce + reported to authorities

Sounds backwards to me. If I got slapped for watching something, I'd be looking for the divorce.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:27 am Reply with quote
I keep trying to give Bakemonogatari a try but the fanservice makes me cringe. I usually like youkai/supernatural stories too...With Zaregoto at least I found the mystery interesting, even if the main female character annoyed the heck out of me. Pretty Boy Detective Club I thought I'd like more than I did, since I liked series like Ouran High School Host Club in the past, but the guys weren't hot enough and the story didn't hook me. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime though. At least I liked it more than Bakemonogatari.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:46 am Reply with quote
I started with 5 of the UK bluray releases and then said screw it-I'm done here. I like cerebral anime with some gore but this series was just too much for me to handle.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:53 pm Reply with quote
HoshizoranoUtage wrote:
I keep trying to give Bakemonogatari a try but the fanservice makes me cringe.

If you watch Bakemonogatari, the first scene which involves nudity is Senjougahara changing clothes in front of Araragi. If what you find "cringy" are the bizarre shots along with the conversation, it is okay. I am sure that everybody who watched this for the first time was taken out of their comfort zone and well-entreched expectations for high scool romcoms in some way. However, if you find it cringy because you considered it to be "fanservice" (that is, mindlessly erotic without any deeper relation to the story itself), then it is indeed best for you to stay away from the series.

Yes, there are erotic scenes, and yes, they involve oppai, little sisters, a 500+ year old vampire in the body of a 9 year old girl and a 20 year old girl in the body of the apparition of an elementary school girl who will eventually become deity of a shrine, and of course you are free to feel uncomfortable if this is your mindset, but it is not fanservice (as in my definition above).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3