• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does the Original Trigun Hold Up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are the times that the dub is better than the sub version.

Tell me you're an American without telling me you're an American.
Not dissing you, it's just that Americans are the only ones I've ever talked to who held that opinion.

Not American here, not even close, and I find that statement severely disagreeable. This was one of Johnny Yong Bosch's earliest roles (not his absolute earliest, some of those were terrible), and he did a fantastic job in this -- and one of the reasons I started paying attention to the voice actors in anime.

I have not finished "Trigun" but JYB's first Japanese anime role was Vash.
Generations

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:55 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

It was not. He voiced Kaneda from Akira, Artemis from Sailor Moon, and Tohji from Evangelion before Vash.

That said, I was actually thinking of his voice from Reiji from Gate Keepers as his earlier work, which was in fact from the same year.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:18 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

It was not. He voiced Kaneda from Akira, Artemis from Sailor Moon, and Tohji from Evangelion before Vash.

All of those roles were well after Vash. Just because those works were made before Trigun doesn't mean they were dubbed before it. Or more accurately, dubbed a second time, as each of those works has multiple English dubs, and Bosch was only involved with the most recent versions of each.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:33 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

That said, I was actually thinking of his voice from Reiji from Gate Keepers as his earlier work, which was in fact from the same year.

Sorry, but you are in error, Cam Clarke(Leonardo in the 1987 TMNT series) was the original dub voice for Kaneda in Akira(I remember seeing it as a kid and thinking "It's Leonardo!") and JYB was only Tohji in the 2019 EVA redub for Netflix. Originally it was Joe Pisano, Michael O'Connor and Brett Weaver. And he didn't voice Artemis until the Viz Media dub of Sailor Moon in 2014.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:19 am Reply with quote
Loved Trigun when I saw it on Adult Swim and also enjoyed the Manga. One of these days I really need to re-watch it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
A major part of Vash's character is that he uses those goofy antics as a disguise. They weren't faked--he's genuinely a lighthearted, fun-loving person--but they were his shield to hide behind when he could, and he only dropped that shield when it was necessary. That's why episode 5, "Hard Puncher," is so impactful. We the viewers spend the first four episodes largely sharing Meryl's opinion of Vash: we see him pull some fun tricks, but there's no way this nut can possibly be the infamous Humanoid Typhoon, right? But then Vash faces his first true threat, and the mask comes off, and the sunglasses go on, and the guitar starts twanging, and you start to realize that yes, this is Vash the Stampede. That's not directorial indecision, that's a deliberate build to a fantastic character moment. Still gives me chills.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. This type of character shift should've been made heir apparent halfway through the first episode to convey to the audience from the get go that Trigun was meant to be a comedy/drama mix. It's not something that we have to wait 5 episodes into before the gloves come off. You set the impression of the show with the first episode and if audiences watch the show thinking that it's an action comedy, then they expect the rest of the show to match tone. Anything otherwise is patronizing the audience.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the dub, well first to this day it is still one of Johnny Yong Bosch's best. I find most of the cast do very well in their roles, there might be some off performances here and there, but in generally it's good.

In comparison to Cowboy Bebop, it's a similar case to Outlaw Star. Bebop is an Anime that was made in the late 90s, Trigun IS a late 90s Anime.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The manga is excellent and the anime is also good. It's not hard to follow at all. The end of the review you made it seem like it's all over the place, but it's pretty simple to follow. Anyway, anyone who is a fan of Yasuhiro Nightow's work or Trigun should really check out Gungrave. That anime is a masterpiece.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. This type of character shift should've been made heir apparent halfway through the first episode to convey to the audience from the get go that Trigun was meant to be a comedy/drama mix. It's not something that we have to wait 5 episodes into before the gloves come off. You set the impression of the show with the first episode and if audiences watch the show thinking that it's an action comedy, then they expect the rest of the show to match tone. Anything otherwise is patronizing the audience.

Maybe it's that this series was made at a time when creators trusted the audience to not be so ADD as to need the entire tonal conflict of the series laid out halfway through the first episode.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Maybe it's that this series was made at a time when creators trusted the audience to not be so ADD as to need the entire tonal conflict of the series laid out halfway through the first episode.
Was this a presentation preference for TV viewers in Japan? And please tell me you did not just seriously attack people who suffer with ADD here.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not attacking anyone, I just fail to see how a series having an intentionally misleading introduction followed by a later tonal shift is anything but a time-honored storytelling device. Even limiting the scope to anime, there's a long tradition of 26-episode series that take a few episodes to set an initial mood, and then drop the hammer somewhere a bit in. Hell, Outlaw Star came out in the same year and did pretty much the exact same thing, and Bebop arguably did to a certain extent as well. It's not something we see nearly as much of anymore, because continuous 26-episode anime productions are all but extinct, but it's absolutely a common device that was used in multiple series I can think of. It didn't work for you, and that's fine, but it's hardly some sort of egregious mistake.
retroshojo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show back in the day. I remember the Vash figurine I kept on my dresser. The DVDs for this show were the first DVDs I ever bought, and I loved that I could watch it both dubbed AND subbed without needing to make separate purchases (probably giving away my age here).

Haven't watched it in several years, though I do read the occasional fanfic. Will have to change that soon.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched this since forever but from what I remember of it I had (and have) no desire to re-watch it. Guess I was not in the least impressed by the series.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:19 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm not attacking anyone, I just fail to see how a series having an intentionally misleading introduction followed by a later tonal shift is anything but a time-honored storytelling device. Even limiting the scope to anime, there's a long tradition of 26-episode series that take a few episodes to set an initial mood, and then drop the hammer somewhere a bit in. Hell, Outlaw Star came out in the same year and did pretty much the exact same thing, and Bebop arguably did to a certain extent as well. It's not something we see nearly as much of anymore, because continuous 26-episode anime productions are all but extinct, but it's absolutely a common device that was used in multiple series I can think of. It didn't work for you, and that's fine, but it's hardly some sort of egregious mistake.
The problem with Trigun is that the show got TOO dark for its own good later on in the series which ended up contrasting heavily from its earlier light-hearted tones which really begged the question as to whether the slapstick comedy was honestly needed in the first place. Maybe you might not have seen a problem with it, Top Gun, but the changes legitimately felt jarring and questions the direction of the show to begin with.

Look, I don't mind a good comedy and drama mix (Cowboy Bebop handled that amazingly well) but it shouldn't be done at a point where the audience has to second guess whether the show needed one factor blown up to a ludicrous degree over it.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
I can't confirm this, but I heard the tonal shift problem was especially bad with trigun because they switched directors after season 1 and the season 2 fellow wanted a much different tone.

I think several 90's and early 00's shows had a problem starting with a lighthearted tone and then trying to switch to high dramatic stakes right before the end. But whatever the reason, trigun was much worse imho. I really like season one, but I don't care for season two at all.

I do really like the movie, and I think it handled it's melodrama much better. I think it's seriously better then the show in general, for that matter. Again, just my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3