• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RSS feeds breaking behind cloudflare

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the RSS/Atom feeds might have moved behind cloudflare recently (or CF got more aggressive about bot protections around them)?

Retrieving, say, animenewsnetwork.com/news/atom.xml?ann-edition=us with miniflux (a self-hosted RSS reader) or even with plain curl gives back a "checking your browser before redirecting" interstitial page from Cloudflare rather than the XML content directly, which isn't going to work for most RSS readers.

I've tested it from a couple of different network locations just to make sure it wasn't CF being aggressive about my hosting provider, and I'm seeing the same results everywhere right now.

Anyway, thought I'd make a quick note about it, just in case nobody else noticed. This started happening sometime in the last few days.
cirnoze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
You're not alone. I noticed this maybe 7 hours ago (also seeing 503 errors during that process in Google Chrome, and some missing/failed-to-load content when the pages did load).

CloudFlare status page said they were having issues which they were "working on a workaround for" - so I waited on reporting it, but they no longer show that bad status. And I still was receiving 503 or similar errors with my RSS reader after that status change.

Thank you for reporting it though, as it now seems to be working again. Including reading via my not so common web browser.

So maybe all is well now (at least for now). Please also check on your side to see.
esm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
cirnoze wrote:
Please also check on your side to see.
Yep, looks like all is well on this end too.
cirnoze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
esm wrote:
cirnoze wrote:
Please also check on your side to see.
Yep, looks like all is well on this end too.

Awesome. Thanks for confirming.

Maybe Dan42 will follow up here if any changes were needed or lead to issues (anticipating future concerns if further changes are on the way for ANN); else it may have just been associated with the Cloudflare Aug 8th incident (I can't be sure as it seemed region specific, but may not be limited to ingress client location and instead the server).

My reader pulls from multiple ANN feeds to get a bit easier filtering of content by topic/category, but only upon my manually issuing a refresh that triggers the set of requests in succession. (In case that happens to trigger a more aggressive mode part way through said requests.)

It seems there is also a CloudFlare Status History Atom feed at the top of the previous link. Maybe it is worth adding to our readers but to only be manually polled for convenience if an issues is noticed. Smile

I'll report back (maybe with more detailed troubleshooting) if I encounter any similar issues in the near future. Thanks again for taking the time to create an account to report the interest/issue. Happy reading!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
Someone is DDoSing us, so I had to enable this DDoS protection, which has that unfortunate consequence for RSS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cirnoze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Someone is DDoSing us, so I had to enable this DDoS protection, which has that unfortunate consequence for RSS.
Thanks for confirming. Appreciated. In the worst case I can shim in my own dirty workarounds if I want to keep using my usual interfaces and methods of consumption in those cases. Though, that only helps me; we can still try again later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1