• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Washington Post article reminded me of Sony's hegemony/monopoly.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:19 am Reply with quote
Streaming TV is having an existential crisis, and viewers can tell
Missing archives, less ambitious programming, higher prices: Creators and subscribers say they’re seeing the fallout from television’s big revolution

Quote:
When he pitched “Adam Ruins Everything,” during what now seems like cable’s last hurrah in the mid-2010s, “I pitched probably a dozen different places,” he said. “I’m still pitching TV for a living, but now when I go to pitch it, there’s only [a few] places you can go. That’s the monopsony in action.”

The what?

The monopsony, Conover said. That’s when a company dominates the buying market for a particular industry. If you sell salami, and there is only one sandwich shop around to buy it, that’s a monopsony. Think of a monopoly, but the other way around. “If there’s less competition for my services, then I can’t get a bidding war going with two companies that want to buy my show.”
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:57 am Reply with quote
Streaming TV is not having an existential crisis. Nothing out there is challenging its existence. What the industry as a whole is having is growing pains. The persons writing the article are having problems coping with the changes caused by the change from broadcast/cable to streaming.

What we are seeing is completely natural. A new service or product is presented and a pioneer jumps out and makes it work. In this case, Netflix's success acted as a proof of concept for the rest of the entertainment industry. When it works everyone and his brother wants to jump in based on the real fear of being left behind. These later companies find out it is not as easy as it looks and costs more than planned. Hence the dropping of unpopular shows etc. At that point they either spin off the attempt (Warner) or fix the issue by buying a company already successful (Sony). What we are going to see in the next few years is a lot of churn. There will be a few new services yet and they will consolidate down to likely three or four major services. In the mean time the people who provide the content will have to cope with changes from day to day.

What happened with Sony buying Funimation and Crunchyroll was almost inevitable. At least is was done by a company that should understand anime. Keep in mind that both services had previously been bought and sold by larger companies that couldn't work with them. When things settle down the larger services are going to require a lot of content. If they find that anime might fill that bill , Crunchyroll may find itself in a bidding war once again. Crunchyroll may be big in terms of anime and may look like a monopoly but they are fairly small against Netflix, Disney and others. Even Amazon may come back, or possibly some service we are not yet aware of.

It is interesting that Sony bought Right Stuf! It shows they may be trying to control at least some of the industry by outright ownership. It will be interesting if they try to buy one or more of the big Japanese publishers of manga. They would have a whole pipeline from concept to final sale.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Alan wrote:
What happened with Sony buying Funimation and Crunchyroll was almost inevitable.
It sucks for the employees at Funi/Crunch ─ which speaks to the financial loses being incurred by the creative types who were thriving in the streaming sphere.
Quote:
It is interesting that Sony bought Right Stuf! It shows they may be trying to control at least some of the industry by outright ownership. It will be interesting if they try to buy one or more of the big Japanese publishers of manga. They would have a whole pipeline from concept to final sale.
Under such a scenario I would somewhat fear for KyoAni's stakeholders. At least KyoAni does not depend upon manga intellectual property.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It sucks for the employees at Funi/Crunch ─

Not just funi/crunch. This is very much a bad time to be a worker bee at any of the streaming services. With all the mergers, down sizing and cost cutting, the next few years will be uncertain. They will have to expect major changes at anytime. The ones who will have steady work will be those feeding the beast content. Especially those with a proven history.

I just hope that the new Crunchyroll can survive on the fringes of the wars between the big boys. I don't really trust the likes of Disney or Paramount to bring us unmodified anime, or worse yet decide that a subtitle track is unnecessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1